Tires!

dbhutchins

As noted in several other posts, we've had our share (maybe more) of issues with our '09 3210. One of the problems we got stuck with last spring was the failure of the China Bomb OEM tires. I suppose after milking 20,000 miles out of them I should be grateful they lasted so long. And for **** sure I'm lucky that I had my first flat on the last day of a 95-day, 9000 mile odyssey. Anyway: when I pulled the slow-leaker off, the problem was a split in the carcass between tread blocks. Yikes! Can you spell incipient catastrophic failure?? As goes one - so go them all! On went the spare, and we took it REAL easy the last 100 miles to home!

I got COSTCO to order me up a set of 7 Michelin XPS LT 245/75R16s (at a far better price than I could find elsewhere). These were as close to the OEM 235/85 16s as I could find with the appropriate 3000 lb load rating and a tire diameter compatible with the axle spacing. That measurement is critical (as you might imagine) so be sure to check it closely when ordering replacements. The Michelins are intended for a 7" wheel, and the OEM wheels are 6". But I took a chance on them, and they went on fine. If there's any effect on the tire configuration, it's not noticeable. We had them balanced, and my RV shop did a laser-alignment on the axles after the new shoes (and new suspension equalizers) were mounted. The net result has been superb! She tows far better than ever before.

The real reason I'm posting this is the difference in WEIGHT of the tires. It's amazing! We all know that the China Bombs are basically bubble-gum balloons. But I had no idea HOW MUCH difference there is between those cheapos and real tires. When I picked up one of the new tires to put it back on the spare carrier, I could barely lift it! My "bicep" guess-timate is that the Michelins weigh about 10-15 lb more PER TIRE than the Chinese rubber. I'd worry about this if it was "sprung" weight. But as "unsprung" weight it's a little mileage penalty, but nothing else. The suspension loading and pin-weight will be unaffected. And the peace of mind of having these bulletproof vests on my wheels is SUPERB.

Change up NOW! Well worth the trouble and $$ in my mind...

57chevyconvt

The old saying, been there and done that. My first set of OEM tires lasted ~4,500 mile before tread separation. Changed to GY G614 which are about 17 lbs. per tire heavier than the Tow Max. Now have about 18,000 miles on the GY tires and well pleased with the performance. My recommendation for anyone buying a new or used RV is to have the wheels aligned by a qualified shop and also replace the shocks with a truly RV rated shock, might also require remounting the shock to provide proper angle of operation, i.e., not 15 degrees off horizontal.

WilmanJim

I know our 2010 Bighorn came with China Freestar's and I tried to get the dealer to replace them with Goodyears G614's when we got it but couldn't work a deal so kept the Freestar's. After 3 years and 42,000 miles I am replacing them with Goodyear G614's on Monday. Hopefully they will last as well. The Freestar's are only down to 6/32" from 9/32" but they are starting to show signs of cracking. We usually put on about 12 - 15K miles a year. I'm curious to see how the Goodyears are compared to the Freestars which looked identical.
Safe Travels to All.

Jim

dbhutchins

The old saying, been there and done that. My first set of OEM tires lasted ~4,500 mile before tread separation. Changed to GY G614 which are about 17 lbs. per tire heavier than the Tow Max. Now have about 18,000 miles on the GY tires and well pleased with the performance. My recommendation for anyone buying a new or used RV is to have the wheels aligned by a qualified shop and also replace the shocks with a truly RV rated shock, might also require remounting the shock to provide proper angle of operation, i.e., not 15 degrees off horizontal.

Replace the shocks?! You've got SHOCKS?? Not me! Sure wish I did, but there's nothing on my Cyclone 3210 but springs and axles...