Exhaust vent over stove

blacklabbob

Anyone else have an alternate solution to unlocking the latch that holds the stove vent cover closed, other than carrying a six foot step ladder with us? I've tried to master levitation, but to date have been unsuccessful.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I use a 4 ft awning hook. The gray metal one used for a manual awning pull down strap.

The little 90 degree bend at the end allows you to push/pull the tabs for that flap. Trace

Last edited:

danemayer

One of the attendees at the Canton Rally had taken an RV broom with collapsing handle, and cut off the broom, leaving a triangular piece of plastic at the end. When the handle is extended, the plastic piece easily reaches the tabs on the vent and slides them in either direction.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also use my awning hook rod. Might need to use a broom handle to hold the flap in until you get the first tab secured, though.

MTPockets

I'm 6' 1" tall and have no problem reaching it from the top entry step.... My wife can't reach it at all at 5'2" .... Another opportunity for Heartland - Our old unit had an inside lever to open and close - sorta like the chimney flu on a home fireplace

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I'm 6' 1" tall and have no problem reaching it from the top entry step.... My wife can't reach it at all at 5'2" .... Another opportunity for Heartland - Our old unit had an inside lever to open and close - sorta like the chimney flu on a home fireplace

That doesn't work on the trailers like mine that have the galley on the off door side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 6' 5" and I have to use a step. But my problem now is the cover is broken. One of the pivot pins broke and now it won't stay in or open. How it happened I don't know. Anyone else have this happen?

JonV

I'm 6' 5" and I have to use a step. But my problem now is the cover is broken. One of the pivot pins broke and now it won't stay in or open. How it happened I don't know. Anyone else have this happen?

If you mean the pins on the flap, yes. We had one break and lost the flap. I had to replace the vent.

I too use an awning hook to lock and unlock it. It's a but of a pain but it works except when SHMBO keeps turning the @%%^ fan on. :eek:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've replaced that vent/flap 3 times in 2.5 years!

The flap plastic gets brittle over time I think.

This last time, I found the flap sold separately, so I thought I'd save money and replace just the flap. Well, you still have to remove the caulk on the vent outside to open the hinge to get to the flap. Also be aware, there's a certain direction this flap can go in and work correctly. I managed to break the little pin off trying to get it installed!!!

So, I did what was suggested on the forum, and superglued finishing nails in place of the plastic pins. We'll see how long they hold up. And I have a spare flap, (with finishing-nail pins also) in reserve.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351136649.755934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimtoo

Ours broke also....so instead of replacing the whole thing I took it apart, took the flap and housing, cut 3or 4 small slots aligned with each other and used zip ties to act as hinges. The door hangs on them and pivots on the ties like a hinge. Has been working for about 3 years now.

Zip Ties and Duck Tape,,,, can fix anything. Well Almost! :)

Jim M

Wharton

Years ago we put magnetic tape on our vent. Had to play with it a while, putting regular tape over the magnetic tape to lessen the amount of catching it did until DW was able to turn on the fan inside and the vent would open with the pressure. One less item to do..

blacklabbob

Tried leaving it open on an older rig some years ago. A tidy little family of birds promptly built a nest in the fan. I had sticks and grass falling out of that area onto the stove for quite some time, not to mention the horrendous noise produced when I first turned on the fan. I also worry about wasps nests.
And, off subject for a moment, does anyone know where the cutoff switch for the wagging tail on an English Cocker is? With the cooler weather it creates an uncomfortable breeze when she wakes me in the morning.

wildwolfproducts

I have a 36" Dowel rod with a Hat hook on the end. Works great and on our Key largo even though I'm 6ft 1" the 36" Rod is almost short.
Pete

porthole

Retired
Don't have a manual awning, but do keep an awning hook handy. Use it for the stove vent and to pull the rubber seals out on the slides when they don't track properly over the slide.

Gaffer

If you mean the pins on the flap, yes. We had one break and lost the flap. I had to replace the vent.

I too use an awning hook to lock and unlock it. It's a but of a pain but it works except when SHMBO keeps turning the @%%^ fan on. :eek:

I'll bite...............what is SHMBO?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's actually "SWMBO." Easily pronounced as "swim-bo." In some countries, it's abbreviated to HRH.