Generator Removal?

Hi Guys,
New to the forum, but have used it for reverence numerous times. There's obviously a lot of amazing information here....I've got an '08 Cyclone that I've had for a couple of years. As a retired Marine Aircraft Mech with over 25 years experience, ASE certified for over 30 years, and someone who builds classic cars and motorcycles, I'm pretty handy, although with electrical and plumbing issues, the RV has turned out to be like towing a house around more than anything...lol!

I've combed every generator thread on every forum I can find. I've got an Onan 5500 Marquis in the Rig, with about 350 hours on it...I fixed all the running issues when I bought it with a new Carburetor and pump, drained the tank, flushed the lines, etc....I will say everyone should keep up on the valve adjustment schedule....found that out from finally finding a very helpful Onan Master Mech at a dealership in the MidWest....all others wanted me to "bring it in" and they'd "take a look at it" for a minimum of $150...just to start....but for everyone's information, if it ever starts making a popping sound through the exhaust or carburetor and won't start, chances are your rocker arms have loosened up and jumped off the pushrods....they're very easy to adjust if you're mechanically inclined and have a feeler gauge and simple hand tools...The tech recommended adjusting them every 50 hours or so....It took me 10 minutes in 17 degree temps, with gloves on, so it's pretty simple.

I've had it running like a champ....unloaded.....since I bought it, if I load it, within a short time, usually within 5-10 minutes, it starts surging, and on about the 3rd round of surge, will drop off line and die. There have been days where it's run for 3-4 hours without a hickup, then the next time, surges and dies.

I've tried tapping the solenoid on the carburetor, to no avail....although it had been over a year, I finally gave the master mechanic a call since he offered to help any time, and he said I may have to drop the generator and clean the generator section, brushes, etc....but....he said no two models are alike, and depending on production schedule crunch, the generator may be installed to where it's not easily removed...ie, semi-permanently installed...and getting it out can be a real problem sometimes, but says most come out the bottom.

I've looked at it, have found the bolts...but...the bracing is welded in, no way it comes out the bottom....and there's no room to bring it out the front...anyone else have this issue before? I'm open to any suggestions.

Jamie

jimtoo

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share knowledge when they can.

Hopefully someone will jump in soon with some help for you.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

HornedToad

I've never taken one out, but going in I had to unscrew the bottom left side of the sheet metal generator box and pull it aside. So you don't damage the door threshold use a small 3x3sheet of plywood to slide it out onto the tailgate of a pick up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horedtoad,

Thank you for that. In taking measurements, I'm not sure it will come out the front. But it's starting to look like I'm just going to have to pick a direction and give it a try, and just figure it out. I can't afford to pay someone else $100 an hour to figure it out on their own time, so I'll make it happen, even if I have to separate it to get it out.

v/r
Jamie

avvidclif

They didn't build the RV around it, that much I know. If they can get it in there you should be able to figure out how to get it out. Your pedigree says you can.

danemayer

They didn't build the RV around it, that much I know. If they can get it in there you should be able to figure out how to get it out. Your pedigree says you can.

I don't know at what stage of the build process the generator is put in place, but I don't think there's any reason they couldn't put it in place before the front cap and filion under the pinbox get put in place.

Generator Removal...X2

Hello All, looking for any additional information.
I've had some friends living in the Rig for 10 months....started the GenSet Every two weeks for Maintenance purposes. I changed the carburetor again just to be sure. Fuel is new, pump works like a champ...genset purrs like a kitten sometimes, loaded or unloaded...sometimes for several hours...other times, it starts and runs 3-5 minutes, surges and dies. I'm going to remove it and take it to an Onan tech a couple of hours away....it will not come out the front...8 inches too little real estate....I'm guessing I have to empty the large storage area behind it, remove the large front wall of the storage area, take it out the back into the storage area and slide it out the side...anyone experienced this on their rig, or heard of it? I'm 100% confident the fuel system is good and operating as it should and that this is a voltage issue.

v/r
Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, I merged your most recent thread with your original and edited out the duplicate of post #1.
Hopefully you will get the information you are looking for.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave!

For Some reason the site is super-glitchy on this computer....only picking up about every 3rd keystroke...and I'm probably not that Smart anyway...lol!

v/r
Jamie