Generator power but no battery power

zeisslere

Hello, 2nd time using my trailer. Have been dealing with a bunch of crap this go around.
Everything was running just fine, till the second day of the camp trip when I turned off my generator and had zero power in the trailer. (I mean.... nothing)
Clearly the battery is giving power to start the generator, but as soon as you turn off the generator, I loose lights, and everything.
Everything functions fine with the generator on, but as soon as the generator is off, I loose everything.
Battery shut off is not activated.

Trailer is under warranty, and I could take it there but they are 3-4 months out. I would prefer to find the solution now.
What are your thoughts?

david-steph2018

If you are going to try to operate off battery, the battery cut-off switch needs to be turned on.
But a little more information on the rig will help out. What model, year, are you connected to shore power, what are you trying to do?

zeisslere

The battery cut-off is in the on position.

Heartland Fuel F305

Connecting via battery power (where I have the issues) or via generator. (No show power)

As I already stated, while the generator is on everything runs as normal. As soon as I turn off generator, I loose all power to everything. No lights, no pump, no refrigerator... nothing.

I have 2 brand new 6v batteries. They both are good. And they start the generator just fine.

Bogie

Do you have a voltmeter? When the generator is on, the converter should be powered. That's probably the source for everything (12 volt) working while the generator. is on. Check the voltage across the batteries while the generator is running. The converter should supply about 13.2 volts. That's how you can verify it is working. If you are reading only 12 volts across the batteries when the generator is on, it wont be charging the batteries and something is either miss wired, a fuse is tripped or the battery cutoff switch is not working properly. If you are reading 13.2 volts across the batteries when the generator is on, you know the batteries are being charged.

Then, with the generator off, it's a matter of using the volt meter with the negative probe on the battery negative and using the positive probe from point to point (starting at the battery positive terminal) and working your way point by point toward the positive bus bar and beyond if necessary until you no longer read 12 volts. That should hopefully help pinpoint the problem.

david-steph2018

The battery cut-off is in the on position.

Heartland Fuel F305

Connecting via battery power (where I have the issues) or via generator. (No show power)

As I already stated, while the generator is on everything runs as normal. As soon as I turn off generator, I loose all power to everything. No lights, no pump, no refrigerator... nothing.

I have 2 brand new 6v batteries. They both are good. And they start the generator just fine.
Between the batteries and the cutoff switch is a row of red covered 12VDC breakers. Some are auto reset and some manual. Also, between these and the batteries is a 50amp breaker 12VDC. Check these out and see if need replaced or are tripped.