225/75-15 lrd towmax- what about LT instead?

saskrick

I am like the rest of you- worried about the tow max tires. But from what i have read, most of you have 16" wheels. I am wondering what many of you with the 15" tires are doing - specifically 225/75-15 LRD. I have been looking or thinking about going to Lt 235/75-15 instead-one size bigger. The only problem is finding LRD in that size. Lots of C rated but hard to find the D range. Most of the LRD are all season and look to have an aggressive tread for a trailer. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Westwind

Nothing wrong with overkill when it comes to trailer tires. Too many forum stories about tire blow outs and trailer damage.

saskrick

I agree with overkill but was leaning in the direction of LT tires, not ST. The reason I was thinking this route is that I haven't been able to find Maxxis in my area and everything else doesn't have me convinced that its better than what I have now. This led me to LT 235's. My axles are 4400lb rated. So I need at least a 2200lb rated tire. 235's with extra load are there, but strangely the heavier C ply has a lower weight rating which does not make any sense. The D rated 235's are ok, but also a little hard to find here, but they could be ordered. I have yet to find an E rated 235- 15.

saskrick

I went on tire rack to see info because I like their filter setup. Here is what I found: ST225 75 LRD 2540lb @65psi, LT 235 75 LRD 2335 @65, 255 70 LRD 2553 @ 65 psi. I wonder how goofy the 255 would look on a trailer. They are only about an inch and a quarter wider than the 225's, but they probably look wide because of their profile. I was just brain storming so please keep the comments coming- well at least the friendly comments LOL