Almost a Major Faux Pas

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Had a close call yesterday evening. Got home from a long weekend trip and rushed to get the trailer unloaded at the house so we could get it back to the storage yard before dark. As we were finishing up I asked DW, did you get everything finished in the Bedroom. She said yes and for some reason I also mentally included the slide is in also (even though I know that is my task to do/check off). We closed up the trailer, hopped in the truck and took off toward the storage yard. About a quarter mile down the road, I finally looked in the rearview mirror and saw an ugly sight - the bedroom slide was OUT. I quickly pulled to the side of the road, collected my thoughts, and checked for any undesired effects, but everything was fine, disaster averted. Put the slide in and continued on our way. Moral of the story - check, check, and re-check!

Eddhuy

Glad everything was OK. I am still fairly new to 5th wheels and always do a final walk around the trailer before climbing in the truck to take off. Especially since I put a couple holes in the roof of my Prowler, that is still keeping me on my toes.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Whew!! Glad all was OK but I am sure it caused some immediate major concern. I would blame it on the "old guy thing" as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Distractions out of the routine can do it, old or not (I'm early 40s). Almost left the LR slide open about 6", because I needed something from an overhead cabinet after the rig was "road ready". Got distracted and almost forgot it was still out!

Another time, after a stop, I forgot to fold in the grab handle. Folded up the stairs, got distracted with the finicky keyless door lock, and walked back to the truck... Luckily we noticed it before getting onto the road!

Never fails when trying to leave a Rally, all want to give well wishes or ask about the coach or truck.

We ALL have to be extra-diligent during these times, as it can pull us out of our routine.

ParkIt

Close call to be sure, good thing you checked the mirrors!

I'm becoming more impressed with the build of the HL, see my post about how a driver dropped our into his bed. Most other 5er's would have been un-towable with a floppy cap at least and while there is damage you can't see, its still holding up way better than I thought it would :)

wdk450

I did something like that in Tillamook, Oregon. I stopped at a cheese/restaurant place near to the big cheese factory, and went out to my trailer after shopping, and decided to make some lunch. I didn't want to be too conspicuous, so I just opened the kitchen slide enough to access the refrig and open some cabinets. I got done with the sandwich, left the trailer and hopped back into the truck. I pulled onto the highway, and then saw the partially extended slide in the mirror. I pulled over on the highway, turned on the emergency blinkers, ran over to the outside slide controls, and got the slide in (it was on the roadway side, of course) ASAP.
No harm done.
More RVing adventures!!!

FiremanBill

Not nearly as bad, but on our last trip I left the rear door grab handle out after stopping in a rest stop. Only thing hurt was my pride.

When we get in a rush and forget things like this. Glad you din't tear anything up or hurt anyone.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Oops - glad everything is ok. I guess in one way, having the slides only on one switch with the Big Country is a good thing cuz the bedroom is always the first thing in/out.

While we are in confession mode. Left the water pump on in a previous trailer, hit a curb leaving point A and our frozen margarita machine turned over onto the kitchen sink water faucet.... 35 miles later for a planned diesel stop, water is running out the back corner of the trailer. :) And to my good fortune, when I got to final stop 300 miles later, you would never know it had been wet.

jbeletti

Wow Gus - you got really lucky.

I see some confessing to the door handle out. Just did that yesterday. Does that even count? Guess is would if it smacked a passing vehicle's mirror.

MCTalley

I left our antenna up while headed to our home campground's dump station (before we got a tote). Val noticed it before I had gotten 50 feet out of our space. I mentioned that it should be OK for that short of a trip and that I'd drop it down while dumping. I think every other camper in the campground hollered and chased after me to let me know it was up, as well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We were driving down the road once after driving some time and noticed our stairs were extended. Luckily no harm done.

wdk450

According to Murphy's law your extended TV antenna will find a low overhanging tree. A bright sign (like this: http://www.rvpartscountry.com/TVAntennaReminder.html ) or a ribbon can act as a reminder as you make the interior checkout before putting in the slides.

I left our antenna up while headed to our home campground's dump station (before we got a tote). Val noticed it before I had gotten 50 feet out of our space. I mentioned that it should be OK for that short of a trip and that I'd drop it down while dumping. I think every other camper in the campground hollered and chased after me to let me know it was up, as well.