Major leak from ceiling in large storage bay 2012 Big Country 3510 RL

ABQscott

Just got back from first outing to Herron Lake near Chama New Mexico. Only problems on trip were a road wash out from a flash flood that spilled boulders and mud over the highway near Abique New Mexico. When we got to camp and open the slides, the floor in front of the sink was very wet. I thought it had leaked through the kitchen slide but found the cold water supply line under the kitchen sink finger loose and leaking. Easy fix. Next kitchen lights that you turn on in the main switch panel were working at home wouldn't turn on check all low voltage fuses all had continuity. Still don't work. Last, got home dumped black water and gray, when I hooked hose to flush black water tank, water poured out of plumbing bundle in large storage bay just where plumbing goes through ceiling out of site below bedroom. Hose had pressure reducer on it anyone have any ideas? Thanks

danemayer

Hi ABQscott,

Sorry about your problems. There's an anti-siphon valve in the black tank flush line. It sounds like it might be the source of the leak. It's often located behind the shower wall and there will likely be an access panel. The access panel may be a large disc on the shower wall, or it could be on another wall. If you open it, you will probably find the problem.

ABQscott

Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow when I get home from work. Trying real hard to never have to take it back to the dealers again.

ABQscott

Couldn't stand waiting till tomorrow. Double checked, leak coming above ceiling in large bay storage. There is no access panel in shower or on bedroom wall. Plumbing appears to be sandwiched between layers. Taking aft wall out rear of compartment doesn't seem to get me above where I need to be, but I have not removed those panels.

tjspencer

Wisconsin Chapter Leader
I agree with Dan, it's probably you black water flush anti-syphon valve. They generally are an easy fix and the customer service should ship you one for free probably. If you can't locate the access panel contact the factory they can tell you. I did talk with some Canadian friends at Goshen who experienced the same and they just bypass the valve all together and connected the "pex" tubing together. They said they don't notice any issues with doing that. Pretty common problem however.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Couldn't stand waiting till tomorrow. Double checked, leak coming above ceiling in large bay storage. There is no access panel in shower or on bedroom wall. Plumbing appears to be sandwiched between layers. Taking aft wall out rear of compartment doesn't seem to get me above where I need to be, but I have not removed those panels.

Try looking for an access panel on the back wall of the washer/dryer closet. Possibly the access is by removing the Cut out where the water supply valves are for the washer.

wdk450

Thanks, I'll check it tomorrow when I get home from work. Trying real hard to never have to take it back to the dealers again.

I think you may want to contact Heartland Service about these problems. Some may be difficult to find/fix. Heartland will pay for ANY RV repairer you choose for warranty work, with their prior approval. You can even use a mobile RV repair service, but Heartland will not pay the travel charge from them. They keep a list of 3rd party repairers they have worked with in your area.
You can read general items on the tank flusher atmospheric check valve here: http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/TankFlusherInstructions2.pdf Item #7 on the instructions seems to imply that external water discharge from this valve is not an abnormal event. After mine failed I replaced it with a brass checkvalve.

You have a good attitude in spite of some problems - An RVer needs to be able to "go with the flow".

Rickhansen

Mine is located inside the wall directly behind (and higher than) the toilet, without any access. I was able to "yank" it down out of the wall cavity, repair the leak, and re-install it.

It's a pain as the space is so confining to work in, but you'll get it.

ABQscott

Got home today and realized there was an access cover in shower didn't realize that's what it was. Found two lines in wall, red and blue with adapters and nothing attached. Missing- vacuum breaker.
removed bulk head wall and found trap from shower not connected. Heating supply vent to bed room torn. Vent to bathroom partially disconnected. All these were quickly fixed, but I am very dissapointed with the quality control of heartland or my dealer. Lots of debris from construction left behind panels. Very little strapping of plumbing, drains, and wiring. All of the tape used to wrap wires together has already fallen off. Last item is 110v circuits in panel. Every other breaker is dead. Ceiling fan, front a/c, kitchen lights, and gfi circuit breaker. Must have been built on a Friday. Thanks for all your help. I know this stuff happens, but if heartland reads this I would hope they could improve Q.C. Love this rig so I will keep working on it till its right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 70

danemayer

Last item is 110v circuits in panel. Every other breaker is dead. Ceiling fan, front a/c, kitchen lights, and gfi circuit breaker.
You've lost one leg of the incoming power. Check the pedestal first, then the power cord connections. There are 2 50-amp breakers on the circuit breaker box. If you have generator prep, there's a transfer switch in between where the power cord attaches and the breaker box. You could be losing one leg of the power at any of those points.

ABQscott

The red wire on the left main 50 amp breaker has no power, the right black one does. I just had the 50 amp rv receptacle installed so maybe there is something wrong with it.

ABQscott

Thanks Dan, The electrician just left. His assistant had wired in 1/2 of the receptacle. This was the first time plugging in at home. All is well and ready to hit the road again. Appreciate all the help.

wdk450

Scott:
When you say "All is well" does that include the black tank flusher? Was the atmospheric check valve blown off the PEX lines by water pressure?

How about the kitchen light problem?

Many of us reading this forum like to learn solutions to problems to give us ideas when these problems happen to us.

ABQscott

The back flow preventer had never been installed and the lines for it were loose in the wall, so when I tried to flush the tank the first time water was just running into the shower wall cavity. I installed a back flow preventer no problem. As Dan pointed out I had one dead leg of the 50 amp breaker so every other circuit had no power. Problem solved when the Electrician came back and rewired my 50 amp disconnect to my house correctly. I reattached the supply venting to the outlets below the floor. I reconnected the p trap to the shower. I then strapped all plumbing, venting, and wiring as it should be. I don't anticipate having further issues with this, but as someone mentioned this is a til'tin Hilton going down the road and I will be checking all fittings regularly to make sure they are tight. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth it. Finally what I learned from this is the knowledge everyone has here collectively is huge. It usually takes longer to find out "what" is wrong than to fix it. All I can say is that although I have no grudge against my dealer, I have better things to do than hook up and waste a days time dealing with the things I can handle in a few minutes. Thanks again for everyones help.

Last edited: