PDA

View Full Version : Ammo availability?

Ray LeTourneau
05-10-2013, 08:39 AM
So how are things in your area? Here in central Wisconsin, it seems most shelves are bare when in comes to 38, 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers. Most rifle and shotgun ammo seems OK. One pawn shop has a few boxes of 9mm at $25/box of 50. Talk about gouging.

Netem
05-10-2013, 08:50 AM
T he only thing I'm having trouble getting is 22 long rifle. Just bought 2 boxes of 9's for 15 a box and 21 for 40's

TXTiger
05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I am on the road now so haven't checked in awhile. Last time I went to my local gun store in San Diego I was told that a truck arrives on Tuesday mornings with a supply of ammo. The store opens at 10 AM but the line in the parking lot to make a purchase starts at 7 AM and all ammo is gone by noon.

cookie
05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
I have to laugh at all the panic buying. The shelves have been bare for several months now with supplies just now trickling in.
I did see some ammo on the shelves at Cabalas recently.
I roll my own so there is no shortage here.

Peace
Dave

bill40
05-10-2013, 09:02 AM
So how are things in your area? Here in central Wisconsin, it seems most shelves are bare when in comes to 38, 9mm, 40 and 45 calibers. Most rifle and shotgun ammo seems OK. One pawn shop has a few boxes of 9mm at $25/box of 50. Talk about gouging.

Ray was over the gun shop yesterday and was surprised to see the were pretty well stocked up. Just needed a box of 45 & 410 they had plenty of each. But as you stated much higher than a year ago.

porthole
05-10-2013, 10:10 AM
22LR seems to be the gold standard now.

We are starting to see supplies roll back in, but with purchase limits and stupid prices.

I will just be holding off the range time until prices come back down.

At least the CMP has not jacked up their prices and if you don't mind waiting you can get it.
I now have enough 30-06 that soon as time permits I'll go have some fun with my M1

JWalker
05-10-2013, 11:01 AM
It's hit and miss here. Supplies come in and they're gone quickly. I have enough reloading supplies to get me through until the price stabilizes.

Madison got her first 22 for Christmas 2011 and I think every relative bought her a brick of shells. We have enough to get us through years of fun.

JohnDar
05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Maybe the DHS is going to ship all the ammo they gobbled up to Mexico to go with the guns they sent down there.

I stopped in the local (sort of) Bass Pro store yesterday. No 9mm, .380 , or .45. I've got all my mags loaded with Critical Defense rounds, but very little practice ammo. So dry fire practice seems to be in order. Or just practice the Biden method: fire two blasts in the air and then beg for mercy.

lduguay
05-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Ray, I think I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!

We just might have to have a RELOADING PARTY at the Goshen Rally........Jim B probably wouldn't mind me having explosive powder and caps at the rally.

Of ALL People, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to blow anyone up!!!!24308

mrcomer
05-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Linda and I went to the Indiana Rally last weekend and we found an indoor range in Elkhart. They had (4) brands of 9mm in stock at 18+ a box. No 22LR though. Nice place, $12 per hour to shoot on the range, women shoot free on Tuesdays. Around Dayton we have a place that is starting to get back to "normal" regarding most ammo with 9mm and 22lr being the exceptions for now.

http://www.midwestgunandrange.com/

Ray LeTourneau
05-10-2013, 04:04 PM
We just might have to have a RELOADING PARTY at the Goshen Rally........Jim B probably wouldn't mind me having explosive powder and caps at the rally.

Of ALL People, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to blow anyone up!!!!24308
Yeah, like that hasn't been done before. :rolleyes::angel:

jbeletti
05-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Ray, I think I have a GREAT IDEA!!!!
We just might have to have a RELOADING PARTY at the Goshen Rally........Jim B probably wouldn't mind me having explosive powder and caps at the rally. Of ALL People, I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to blow anyone up!!!!

Lance, bring your generator, a 250 gallon water tank and a blue tote. We'll have to put you in the "back 40" for this activity :)

DW_Gray
05-10-2013, 10:29 PM
I visited both Cabela's in the Dallas/Fort Worth area two weeks ago. All the common handgun and 22 ammo are gone. As for the other big calibers, the shelves were stocked more than all I've seen since we left CA. None of which I needed.

Reloading Party? Sure. I can reload about 300 to 400 an hour of the .40 S&W, .357 Mag and .45 ACP. You bring the supplies, I've got Dillon Reloading Machine.

olcoon
05-10-2013, 11:02 PM
While we were gate guarding near Pleasanton, TX this winter, my truck all by it's self pulled into a local gun shop. While talking to the owner about ammo, etc. he showed me some he has for sale, and said it is something that will be standard in the future. He said that right now it's not "law", but for this ammo he has to get photo ID, and a thumb print to sell it. It's 5.56 & comes in a 10 round "bubble pack", and is military ammo. He said it comes in a 50 cal. ammo can, and he said it also has a bar code, but all I could see was some numbers on it, like a lot number. Here are a couple of photos. He also said that reloading will become a thing of the past when all that comes to pass, as you won't be able to buy the components.

jimtoo
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
olcoon,,, why the green tip on the bullet... is that so it will leave a mark when it hits something?

:)

olcoon
05-10-2013, 11:44 PM
Not quite sure, I know different companies have different colored tips for the bullets. Since these are military ammo, I'd guess they are made by Federal. Someone more ammo savvy, or military could probably answer that one. I was kind of upset when he was telling me all this I didn't think about asking that. I'm not too happy about the way things are going these days, like most folks!

StarryNight
05-11-2013, 12:24 AM
All the green tip 5.56 I have seen is penetrator ammo. Steel center rod surrounded by lead and copper. Green tip is just an indicator of type. Steel rod comes through on impact. Lead and copper flatten.

sstdusty
05-11-2013, 03:08 AM
NC and TN both seem the same. A shop gets in ammo, limits the boxes a customer can purchase a day and it runs out quickly.

Rodbuster
05-11-2013, 03:16 AM
I don't know what the green would be for but when I was in the Marines we used 7.62 with a painted marking in the same place. The only difference was they were orange. They were called "tracers". They would be used at night (sometimes during the day) to trace the path of the projectile. Mostly used with machine gun fire. Every 5th round was a tracer. Really neat to see at night. When I was in Viet Nam, I remember a couple of firefights that we were in, when the amount of ammo that we were putting out was so thick, that it seemed that you could walk across on the tracers.....that was not "so neat".

Miller0758
05-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Ammo in New Jersey .... now, that's funny. I think Dick's may as well close their firearm section and just expand their fishing because there's nothing on the shelves but dust. I can't even get target loads to take my son trap shooting.

wesley1963
05-11-2013, 07:05 AM
My understanding of the green-tipped ammo is that the ammo is NATO grade .223 (5.56). As Rodbuster said, the .308 orange tips are tracers. The .308 black tips are armor piercing-you may never see one of these.

Hastey
05-11-2013, 07:47 AM
The green tip is M855 NATO and is for use in A2 and later rifles. M16/M16A1 rifles are a 1/12 rh twist rifling and do not properly stabilize the round. It is a 62grn lead alloy core that requires the 1/7 rh twist of the M16A1/2/3/4 and M249 models. FYI reloaders. This is not the same casing as a .223 Remington. The casings are thicker walled and your loads should be reduced to allow for pressure changes.

rjr6150
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Thankfully still have friends behind the gun counter and in inventory keeping me updated as ammo arrives. But yes agree the panic has been crazy. On the other hand my stock portfolio has increased thank you. So to that thank you to the panic crowd.

tljack
05-11-2013, 01:23 PM
I don't know what the green would be for but when I was in the Marines we used 7.62 with a painted marking in the same place. The only difference was they were orange. They were called "tracers". They would be used at night (sometimes during the day) to trace the path of the projectile. Mostly used with machine gun fire. Every 5th round was a tracer. Really neat to see at night. When I was in Viet Nam, I remember a couple of firefights that we were in, when the amount of ammo that we were putting out was so thick, that it seemed that you could walk across on the tracers.....that was not "so neat". I was in Vietnam in 67-68. I was an engineman on Mark II PBR. My gun assignment was a 40 MM Gatling gun and a M-60 machine gun. I used linked 100 round belt ammo consisting of 4 rounds of ball and 1 tracer. We did a lot of night work and looking back at it, The tracers were pretty neat looking. At the time however I was generally to busy and scared to appreciate that. Terry

Bob&Patty
05-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Ray, the ammo and guns dried up here for quite awhile. We are starting to see more ammo and guns again.

Westly, my son came home last weekend with some 5.56 armour piercing rounds and 30 round clips. He is in the Army.....so I guess it is OK.

Ray LeTourneau
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Well, I found a box of 100 9mm Winchester for $26. Problem is, they were only available to folks purchasing firearms. I'm now the owner of a new Keltec P11 9mm pistol.:o
The things we have to do to get ammo around here.:cool:

marvmarcy
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
If they don't want us to have handguns, they just take away our bullets. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. No offense to cat lovers. ;)

Hastey
05-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Well, I found a box of 100 9mm Winchester for $26. Problem is, they were only available to folks purchasing firearms. I'm now the owner of a new Keltec P11 9mm pistol.:o
The things we have to do to get ammo around here.:cool:

Isn't that called extortion?

Ray LeTourneau
05-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Isn't that called extortion?
Well, I guess if you were looking for ammo and were offered some with the purchase of a weapon, it could be considered that. In my case I had been looking for a smaller weapon. I just asked at the point of sale if they had any ammo on reserve for purchasers of a gun. They did...

jmgratz
05-13-2013, 08:26 AM
My post disappeared. Oh well, guess what I said was not what I was supposed to say. Sorry

lwmcguir
05-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Almost all long rifle ammo is available here now. No 22LR or .223 or 5.56 yet. Almost no pistol ammo unless you want the high end stuff. Guns are available however and I just added another Sig 5.56. Very sweet gun if you are in that market.

recumbent615
05-13-2013, 01:02 PM
I just purchased 300 rounds of 22 for target and 200 Round of 9mm at Bass. The price was higher than I expected but lower than I've seen. it was $6/50 for the 22 and $17/50 for the 9mm. I also just got an email from my range that they just got in 30K rounds of 22 limit of 150 rounds / member to be fair and that is all target grade.