Next Newbe Question: Airbags

Greengas

Hi

Its me again, that soon to be new Heartland owner who is just trying to learn everything he can BEFORE his new coach is built. So far everyone has been great giving me lots of guidance and advice on my questions. I really appreciate it. Well, today I installed my new Pullrite 18K auto sliding hitch and it got me to thinking about airbags for my 2012 F350, FX4, SRW tow vehicle. I've been all over this forum, and a few others, as well as Googling and Binging like crazy and this is what I've come up with. I want Airbags and I want to be able to inflate or deflate them from my truck (that wireless thing that Air Lift has is nice but not sure its worth the money) and I want to be able to use the compressor to air up both my TV (80psi) and my coach (110psi). So there you have my wish list. What do you recommend and why?

Again, I appreciate your guidance and advice in helping me on the road to being a Heartland Owner.

Oh, my new coach is a Landmark, San Antonio.

danemayer

Ronn,

I would expect a 2012 F350 payload to be pretty well matched to the San Antonio pin weight, so I wouldn't expect the truck to squat or the trailer to ride nose low.

Why do you think you need or will benefit from airbags?

Greengas

Ronn,

I would expect a 2012 F350 payload to be pretty well matched to the San Antonio pin weight, so I wouldn't expect the truck to squat or the trailer to ride nose low.

Why do you think you need or will benefit from airbags?

Now that is a response I was not expecting but am happy to see. Why do I think I need one, I don't know. But from reading the forum it seemed to me that many folks with heavy trailers seem to get them and they just about all say how great an addition it is. Do I want to spend the money if I don't have to, no. But, if it will help extend the life of my truck and make my towing experience better, than I think it is something I should look into. I am also considering getting a replacement fuel tank so I can travel a full day without refueling and I know that will add some weight.

All that said, what do you see in the numbers as the payload for my truck? I have a crew cab and the short bed. I know, at least from what I've seen, that my towing capacity is 17,000 pounds so I know I am in good shape for the Landmark.

Thanks again for your guidance and I just can't wait to get my new Heartland!

dbbls59

Drop 2,000 to 2,500 pounds in the back of any pickup and it will drop. May not affect the ride or performance of the truck but it will raise your headlights into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I installed air bags on my dually just for that reason. I do not have an onboard compressor but carry a small one in the trailer to air up vehicle and trailer tires. It is very easy to air up the air bags at the same time. I have found that I do not need to adjust air pressure while traveling down the road. Mine do not leak and I air up before each trip and deflate when I get home. Since I only need 20 psi in the air bags sometimes I leave them inflated for many months.

danemayer

If you look at the posts about airbags, most are on 3/4 ton trucks that are overloaded on the rear axle. Airbags level the bed and trailer if the truck is squatting from being overloaded, and help keep every bounce from bottoming out on the suspension. But if the suspension and axle are overloaded, airbags won't prevent excess wear and airbags won't fix weight and balance issues.

I haven't looked up the numbers for your truck payload. If you look on the driver's door label, you can probably get either the payload, or the GVWR for the truck, from which you subtract the empty curb weight to get the payload. But without looking, I'd expect the payload on your truck is probably between 3600 and 4200. Depending on how you load the trailer and truck you'll probably be close to the spec without any customizations.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a 2012 F350 dually. I have Firestone airbags (I installed them) and the Air Lift wireless controller. I installed them both and love it. The Air Lift controller makes it easy to inflate/deflate the air bags moving or not and you can put more air in one side or the other or have them the same. It helps to make the truck ride level and without them inflated the truck will squat. The pin weight on the Landmark is 4250 lbs. I would highly recommend them (airbags and wireless controller.) I feel although the wireless controller was somewhat pricey I had a regular controller on my previous truck and although it worked great I wanted more control so went with the wireless one.

scottyb

I installed air bags on my DRW because I do not like riding nose high and getting the bright lights from oncoming traffic. My personal feeling is that the truck also rides better when level and doesn't seem to porpoise as much. I have determined 45 psi to be the sweet spot for my air bags but my rig is very heavy and usually loaded. I haven't installed the in-cab inflation setup yet, but I also want to install a frame mounted air tank so I can leave my air compressor at home. You may decide you want a larger fuel tank, unless you don't mind stopping for fuel every 200 mi.

danemayer

This is turning into a really interesting thread. Squatting. Headlights high. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought most duallies have a payload spec in the 7000 territory. I wouldn't expect a truck with 7000 payload to squat or ride headlights high with a 3000-4000# load.

There must be some piece of this story that I'm missing.

porthole

Retired
SRW or DRW, if you have a 2011 or newer Ford and put 3K in the bed you are going to need bags to level it, more so with the DRW because the DRW uses 2" blocks instead of the 4" used on SRW's. The 2 models squat the same, just more noticable on the DRW.

Been there - done that.

As to air bags? At the time I bough my first set I went with AirLift. AirLift used a larger diameter air bag then Firestone did and as a result for a given load less air was needed. Think ride quality.

I use the AirLift wireless controller and really like it.

The compressor that comes with air bag kits is not up to the task of filling tires. They are typically 30% duty cycle, 150 psi compressors. The cut in switches are usually on at 105 to 115, off at 145. 30 psi differential is typical.

wyleyrabbit

Our truck rides better when we're towing than when I'm just driving around town. Seems that having 2,700+ lbs in the back softens things up a bit.

It does squat, but barely. We tow about 3" high has it is, I wouldn't want airbags.

I suggest you not buy anything for your truck until after you get your trailer.

Subdrv

I weighed my f450 empty with a quarter tank of fuel 9120 lbs. The door says GVWR 14400 that gives me 5380 to work with. It is the crew cab 4x4 with 8 foot bed. I added the kelderman 4 link with auto level and dump. I don't get the trailer for a couple of weeks but will let you know how it works. I don't think I am going to have a problem.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have a 2012 F350 Dually as well and also installed the airbags. Without the bags the bed of the dually squatted 2.5 inches and when we would drive over chucked roads or uneven rolling bumps in the road the suspension would really get worked and even bottom out sometimes against the rubber frame stops. As soon as I installed the Firestone Airbags and put 40 pounds in the bags it now stays to the level it sits empty with no bags. The ride is much better loaded and MUCH MORE stable. The headlights are still aligned as they should be and since my suspension is not already squatted my factory springs with the help of the airbags never bottoms out.

However on the flip side, the ride quality empty, even with the air out of the bags except the minimum 5 lbs is not as nice as it was stock. IMHO

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

porthole

Retired
I weighed my f450 empty with a quarter tank of fuel 9120 lbs. The door says GVWR 14400 that gives me 5380 to work with. It is the crew cab 4x4 with 8 foot bed. I added the kelderman 4 link with auto level and dump. I don't get the trailer for a couple of weeks but will let you know how it works. I don't think I am going to have a problem.

Hopefully we will meet at a rally someday. Sure would like to go for a ride in the truck with the K system.

Thought I was saving money with the firestone R-4 I installed. They only reason I haven't removed and dumped it on evilbay is because of the amount of work involved. Between the r-4 and the MOR/ryde rear shackles I have I'm about 80% from the cost of the Kelderman.

Subdrv

Porthole I looked at the R4 I liked the design only problem was they didn't make one for the f450. The DW didn't like the empty ride so I had to bite the bullet. The k system rides like my f150 when it is empty. We are close I live in Norfolk VA so I hope to make it to some of the east coast events once we get the trailer.Currently living in a motorhome and want the extra room.

Snow

Hi

Its me again, that soon to be new Heartland owner who is just trying to learn everything he can BEFORE his new coach is built. So far everyone has been great giving me lots of guidance and advice on my questions. I really appreciate it. Well, today I installed my new Pullrite 18K auto sliding hitch and it got me to thinking about airbags for my 2012 F350, FX4, SRW tow vehicle. I've been all over this forum, and a few others, as well as Googling and Binging like crazy and this is what I've come up with. I want Airbags and I want to be able to inflate or deflate them from my truck (that wireless thing that Air Lift has is nice but not sure its worth the money) and I want to be able to use the compressor to air up both my TV (80psi) and my coach (110psi). So there you have my wish list. What do you recommend and why?

Again, I appreciate your guidance and advice in helping me on the road to being a Heartland Owner.

Oh, my new coach is a Landmark, San Antonio.
I have a buddy that has a Dynamax Trilogy about 15000 lbs empty "beautiful rv by the way " and pulling with a 2012 350 dully and it squats it a good bit as soon as he gets a couple of weeks free he's going for air bags not that he needs them for pin wt but just to help level everything out ,just looks better , IMHO , he likes my air lifts , I got everything for around 400 $ on board air compressor but no remote for that price, good luck ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

yport

I have an F250 V-10 and was given great advise by a dealer when I called to have airbags installed. They said "why do you want airbags?" Since I thought the reason was obvious I asked why they were asking. Their reponse ... why do you want to have to bother with airing up, airing down, airing up, etc. to adjust your ride. Their suggestion was to install a Timbren Suspension System. It's great ... once installed, forget it. No airing up and down ... when it's needed due to the load it is fully engaged and doing its job. When the load is gone it is "off" and riding like a much smoother F250 should without the load. Only engages when load is added.

I have had it for 5 years hauling my 38', 13K lb rig .... smooth .... I later found many of my states sanding/plow trucks all have Timbren systems. Check it out at http://timbren.com/ . The video shows it in operation.