2013 Ram Mega or Crew Cab?

alex00

My wife and I are looking to replace our current SOB with a Cyclone 4000. Lucky for me, our current dually is too small for the family, dogs and trailer and must be replaced. At this point I am nearly set on the Ram 3500, but I can't decide between the crew and mega cab. I am well aware of the short bed limitation, and that factors in slightly. I am more concerned with the inside of the truck at this point.

For those that have the mega, what makes it better than the crew for you? Is there significant usable space behind the seats? I know the seats recline slightly in the mega, but that is not incredibly important to me.

According to my Chief Financial Officer (aka wife) the two dogs WILL ride in the cab, and apparently so will both the kids. Because of the way the seats fold differently between the two, I'm wondering if one has a better layout for the dogs. I'm not convinced the dogs will be more comfortable using the back of the mega cab seat, versus the floor of the crew cab. I'm also concerned that the back of the seat in the mega may be too high for the dogs to jump onto from the outside. I also realize either option will be far better than the tiny little cab in the Dodge 3500 Quad cab I have now.

This would all be much easier if Ram just offered a mega cab long bed. I'm hoping there is a very compelling reason to give up the long bed to go with the mega cab. So far, I just haven't found it. I'd love to get input from those that have one or the other.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
German Shepards or Chiuauas? How big are the kids? :) The Crew cab is pretty big inside, especially compared to a quad cab. I doubt there is much to be gained with the Mega Cab (probably more leg room than anything else) and I believe the towing capacity and payload capacity is less with the Mega also. Good luck with your choice.

DesertThumper

My wife and I are looking to replace our current SOB with a Cyclone 4000. Lucky for me, our current dually is too small for the family, dogs and trailer and must be replaced. At this point I am nearly set on the Ram 3500, but I can't decide between the crew and mega cab. I am well aware of the short bed limitation, and that factors in slightly. I am more concerned with the inside of the truck at this point.

For those that have the mega, what makes it better than the crew for you? Is there significant usable space behind the seats? I know the seats recline slightly in the mega, but that is not incredibly important to me.

According to my Chief Financial Officer (aka wife) the two dogs WILL ride in the cab, and apparently so will both the kids. Because of the way the seats fold differently between the two, I'm wondering if one has a better layout for the dogs. I'm not convinced the dogs will be more comfortable using the back of the mega cab seat, versus the floor of the crew cab. I'm also concerned that the back of the seat in the mega may be too high for the dogs to jump onto from the outside. I also realize either option will be far better than the tiny little cab in the Dodge 3500 Quad cab I have now.

This would all be much easier if Ram just offered a mega cab long bed. I'm hoping there is a very compelling reason to give up the long bed to go with the mega cab. So far, I just haven't found it. I'd love to get input from those that have one or the other.

The mega cab 2012 has better folding seat setup then the crew cab. My rott would sometime ride in the back so we had to drop the seats all the way down. Pretty neat how you have a few ways of folding the seats. Storage is plenty. When we took everything out and transferred to the 3500 drw, wife said, omg and looked on the floor, all that stuff came out of your mega cab! It was funny. I've owned both crew cab and mega cab. Your kids should be fine as well. Crew cab is spacious too but basic folding seats. Great trucks!

Alex00,
I bought a 2012 Mega Cab new. I do love it... But there are some things that I do see with it now as I have started the research of FW's. As you stated, you understand the risk's that you take with the shortbed on the FW's, which may or may not be a costly risk with turning clearance. With the new slider hitches, I've heard there is less problems with hitting cabs. The Mega Cab is great to have that little extra room behind the seat, but it hasn't really made a large impact on daily living. Nice for small bags, or tie downs, or hunting accessories, but that's about it. On the driver side, there is a descent storage box. On the passenger its the subwoofer, so you have no storage. I do know however, on the crew cabs, you get a sealed storage compartment underneath the rear mat on both sides, that you do not get on the mega's. Also, the numbers are a little different between the long bed and short bed, but not by much. And everything that I've read, the truck is fine either way with the capacity's. Now as you may look on here, there are plenty of open forums where the discussions get pretty heavy on what is the correct weight specifications. Go look at them if you have the time. Even though you may be looking at a FW, I've also come to realize with mine currently is my ATV won't go in the back with gate up.. Something I kinda wish I could do.. Now once a hitch is back there, I will not be too concerned with putting large items back there. Also, like Invizatu stated, what kind of dogs are we talking about here??? I have to Belgian Malinois and they fit in the cab comfortably, but that is without our 6 & 4 yo's. The height from the ground to the seat is pretty substantial so, with older dogs it does do a lot to their hips. We are all here to help... And I'm sure I rambled more than anything.. There is apart of me that would almost turn to the crew cab now then the mega, but I made that choice a little over a year ago now, and I"m not going back on that. Enjoy your truck shopping... Take the CFO at the end when you've got your mind made up between a couple of trucks... Usually makes things a little easier and you see more details by yourself, or at least I have :)....

TravisJen

We just purchased our crew cab 3500 6 months ago and went through the same dilemma. We have 2 medium sized dogs and they have ample room to wander around with the seats flipped up. With the 60/40 split seats, we can drop the 60 seat and fit 2 kids and still have room for the dogs with the 40 up. The only thing your gaining with the mega is leg room. Our other consideration was the shorter box which I was pretty sure I didn't want due to the fact that I'm not a huge fan of slider hitches. I'd rather just tow and not worry about cab contact. And the last deciding factor was appearance. No offense to mega cab owners, but I personally think they're pretty ugly and couldn't get over how unproportionate they look. We love our crew cab and has all the storage/room we need. Either way, you'll love towing with it.

ramdually4100king

I have a 2009 mega cab and love the room. I am 6'5" and can sit in the back with the front seat all the way back with plenty of room. I have two kids 6 and 4 and they have trouble reaching each other and (for now) can't kick the front seats. If I wanted I could put the kids on the long bench and put the smaller down and there is about 12 inches behind the seat for a dog to roam if needed.

If I can get DW to let me I plan on doing this: http://www.longbedmytruck.com/ to my truck. I called for a quote and it was around $8000 and would take 3 days. Then I can put in a stationary hitch rated at 6000lbs and not have to worry that my 4500 tongue weight is going to rip the current slider hitch out of the truck. I also currently have a aux fuel tank/tool box in the bed and with the hitch there is no room for anything else back there

I currently have a slider hitch but have never used it. The 88 degree caps are great and do not take much from interior space.

I have a 2012 SRW Mega. My hitch is not a slider and I have not come anywhere close on tight turns. However, if ground is not level or trying to u turn on a narrow 2 lane... probably would not be as comfortable. Room in the back for three teenage girls is great. We also have a 20# mutt that is yet to complain. I have the aux fuel tank so my bed is useless. If upgrading to the dually, I would go CC just because I would like the long bed for hauling my motorcycle to the dirt. Giving up the 18"" rear reclining seats would not bother me at all as I am always in the big seat on the left up front. :) The draw back on the Mega is the curb weight. You give up some towing capacity if you are close to your limit and like to stay within the #s. My current setup has me a bit heavy on tongue and gross.

alex00

I really appreciate all the responses. It looks like many people have gone through the same dilemma I face. The way I'm speccing out the truck both will tow within a few pounds of each other right around 28,000 pounds.

I love the look of the long bed crew. I do haul bikes and quads in the bed. I think I'm sold on the crew for now. Thanks to everyone that shared their experience. I can't wait to get this whole thing going and get a new truck and trailer.

Bobby A

Our 2007 Mega is awesome and our two labs loved the room, now we only have one lab and she still loves it. I would do it again in a heart beat. When I do have people in the back seat they can't believe the room. Before we had to put our old lab down I did have to lift her up though. They do make pet ramps.

alex00

I appreciate the heads up. According to the towing spec sheet PDF on Ram's website, the 4x4 mega with Aisin HD tranny and 4.10s will pull a 28,910 pound trailer. The same truck in Crew will pull a 29,010 pound trailer.

According to the Ram site, the towing capacities are within 100 pounds of each other. I understand that a few model years ago there was a significant difference. Now I just need to decide if I go 3.73 in the rear and get a maximum towing capacity of 23-24,000 pounds or the 4.10 and get 29k. Both are well over the GVWR of the Cyclones. Being at the base of the Sierras I'll probably go 4.10. This won't be a daily driver for now, so the commute won't kill me on fuel.

gpshemi

I really appreciate all the responses. It looks like many people have gone through the same dilemma I face. The way I'm speccing out the truck both will tow within a few pounds of each other right around 28,000 pounds.

I love the look of the long bed crew. I do haul bikes and quads in the bed. I think I'm sold on the crew for now. Thanks to everyone that shared their experience. I can't wait to get this whole thing going and get a new truck and trailer.

I come in at the 28k mark with the golf cart. I wouldn't trade my Mega for a new Quad Cab after owning it.
Go with the Megacab and the 4.10's. I have the 3.73 and even bombed I wished I had the higher gear ratio.

DesertThumper

Good luck with shopping for your next truck. We are very happy with our crew cab DRW 2013 w/4.10 in it. My wife and I just got done plumming all air lines, tank and compressor mounting and gauges. Next will be mount the bags and hot remote wires. Oh my air horns too. I can't wait to wrap up all the upgrades but not even done yet. Still have my transfer flow to install as well. Man, I guess I should have told myself that all the transformation will take a month. Good luck and have fun Alex!

szewczyk_john

I have a 2006 Mega and I would rather keep it even as the kids are getting older and we are now able to camp without them. There is so much room with the mega cab. I have actual storage compartments behind the seats plus a shelf that is 5 or 6 inches wide. There is alot of storage and we use it. One issue that dodge had when they first came out was that the AC is the same as any other AC unit and it did take along time to cool down the cab. Not sure if this issue has been addressed since then.

I read a lot bout stretching the mega to add a long box and it is considered illegal in some states and I would not trust doing that to the frame.

I have taken two boxers camping with us for years. But we cage train our dogs. Their cages get put in the garage of the road warrior and we make stops just to take care of them. I know not everyone cage trains, but this is the way to go since you have the garage, why have them in the cab?

alex00

Thanks Al, the waiting is the hardest part. Your comment about airbags reminded me about the 2014 air suspension they are coming out with on the 3500s. I'd love to have that, but I don't want to be a guinea pig for a brand new suspension system. I keep flashing back to the early 90s when you'd see all the Lincoln Town Cars with broken air suspension and the rear end dragging the ground.

John, we kennel our dogs, but my wife (the veterinarian) really likes them riding in the cab. Obviously, she is not the one that vacuums and/or picks the hair out of the carpet with tape. The black lab doesn't shed too much. The yellow sheds like it's her job.

DesertThumper

Thanks Al, the waiting is the hardest part. Your comment about airbags reminded me about the 2014 air suspension they are coming out with on the 3500s. I'd love to have that, but I don't want to be a guinea pig for a brand new suspension system. I keep flashing back to the early 90s when you'd see all the Lincoln Town Cars with broken air suspension and the rear end dragging the ground.

John, we kennel our dogs, but my wife (the veterinarian) really likes them riding in the cab. Obviously, she is not the one that vacuums and/or picks the hair out of the carpet with tape. The black lab doesn't shed too much. The yellow sheds like it's her job.

Anytime Alex. I'm still working on the last parts of the installation and going well. If you need any ideas with parts and retro fitting let me know. We hope to take our entire setup out soon. So much setting up. By the way what model trailer are you picking up?

alex00

Thanks a lot. I'm sure if I get the standard lead spring I'll be adding airbags and will have a ton of questions.

We have narrowed our choice down to the 4000 or 4100. I live the floor plan of the 4000. The bathroom layout and half bath in the 4100 seem appealing too. None of our local dealers have either trailer in stock . The closest dealer with either one is 4 hours away. My pregnant wife isn't ready for that trip yet haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

alex00

We are one step closer to getting our new rig. The family trekked down to the Dodge dealer and looked at the different interior colors on the '14 Rams today. As soon as my wife sat in the longhorn with cattle brown seats she was sold. When we got home we went over the color choices and settled on granite.

I placed my order over the phone with my dealer who actually gave me a lower price than I expected or even asked for. It looks like we are about 8 weeks out from delivery if all goes well.

The build will be a crew cab 4x4 Longhorn Laramie DRW with the Cummins Aisin HD. I got the 4.10, 5th wheel prep, sunroof, and a few other goodies. I debated waiting for the air suspension but Al and a few others convinced me I'd be happier with an aftermarket air/tank/bags setup. This configuration puts me as close as makes no difference to being able to pull a 29k trailer. The trailer rating is darn near double my 05 Dodge DRW that had the highest rating at the time of 16k.

Thanks everyone who's given me advice and guidance along the way. Once we saw the seat folding in the crew vs mega we knew the crew would be the best choice for our dogs and kids.

Vinny773

Alex00, I ordered a similar truck with a 3.73 rear end. It should arrive within the next 2 weeks. I think it should be a beast.