Prodigy or P3 Brake controller

medic9016

Is the P3 worth the extra cost over the Prodigy? I don't think I am seeing any added benifits to the P3. Am I missing something?

If your shopping for top notch brake controller check out Brakesmart worth every penny had mine 3 years love it! god luck and happy holiday Jim Thomas

Forrest Fetherolf

DITTO.................on the BrakeSmart........best of the best! A little over $400, but worth every penny. This is one thing your life may depend on.
Forrest

We also have the brakeSmart controller, it works so smoothly. Listening to others talk about finding the right setting for the right conditions, brakesmart once set, is a "no brainer"

medic9016

Thanks for your thoughts on the Brake Smart. I'm not interested in it. I would like to know what the difference is between the Prodigy and the P3. The difference I see is the electric over hydraulic feature on the P3. Is the P3 really better than the Prodigy.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Prodigy and the P3 looks like just a better display,trouble shooting, and the hydraulic feature. I guess just a little more bells & whistles difference. The main workings and boost features are the same looks like. Sorry couldn't help much and haven't run across anyone that has got the new one yet. www.rvwholesalers.com seems to still have the better prices on them both if you haven't checked them out yet.....Ken

Luckyhat12

I just got the P3 and my dad has the prodigy. I like my P3 more than his prodigy as far as the good looks go but they tow about the same on the same trailer. they both have the boost features and they both put out the same power. The only thing that I gain is the trouble shooting features and battery monitor built in. I like it and it isn't really that much more if you get it on sale. I would spring for it for the coolness factor. How often do you really have to change brake controllers. I usually keep mine for many years. I just had the last one go bad from several years of use. It gave up the ghost after the 3rd truck.

We have a P3 and pulled our trailer for the first time last Monday. The thing setup easily and worked very well. No complaints and I would certainly recommend.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Prodigy

We have the Prodigy controller and are very satisfied with it. It is not difficult to set up and works fine. One panic stop proved it to us.

I don't know about other controllers, but as long as any of them work properly which is to stop in a reasonable distance, and are trouble free, that's the main purpose. I mainly chose the Tekonsha product as in my experience they have had excellent reliability for many years.

Chuck Richard

We also just upgraded from a Kelsey Hayes controller I have had for years. I went with the P3 even though for us the performance should be the same as the prodigy. The display is so nice and easy to read I chose it over the funny symbol display on the prodigy. For a few more bucks the display and the trouble shooting were worth it to me but I do believe the prodigy would control the brakes exactly the same as long as you don't have the electric over hydraulic which is the other P3 plus. We took our first trip last weekend and were very impressed at how smooth the trailer brakes worked and the boost funtion was very nice.