Gel Coat Cracking with Decals

I have several decals cracking on my 2010 Cyclone, and when I began removing them I could see that the gel coat underneath is cracked in the same formation. Actually it looks as if the gel coat has shrank with the decals and left valleys where the decals have separated. I have had and seen decal issues on RV's, but none that have caused this type of damage. I know my coach is past the 1 year warranty, but damage like this seems to be attributed to the actual decal material itself reacting to the sun.

I have contacted Heartland and have been told that it is caused by "heat". Has anyone else seen their exterior self destruct in this manner?

Attachments

• 20140211_181758[1].jpg
    20140211_181758[1].jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 122

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I haven't seen anything like that before but... I did purchase a car in Southern CA a few years ago and when we initially looked at the car it was very nice. It was an 8 year old Sebring Convertible. After the purchase, I couldn't believe the UV damage I found throughout the exterior molding and window trim. All the rubber was very dry and brittle. Even suspension parts (Bushings) were dry from the heat and lack of rain. We don't get this type of damage in the Midwest.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's difficult to tell by seeing your pic on my phone, but looking at how perfectly the lines match up, are you sure that there is no backing from the decal still a stuck to the sidewall?
It does look pretty ugly though.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dougw

Sandpirate, I posted the same thing a few months ago that my decals are doing the same on my '10 3010 cyclone. However, I can't say if the gel is cracking but I sure hope not. I'm not. Sure how it would though. Maybe it's the difference between sun faded white and not. (Fingers crossed it's not cracking).

Keep us informed.

dougw

I just talked to a rv body shop this morning about painting on the striping. They were saying that the type of fiberglass they use on the trailers is different then say a corvette and the darker color decals will generate enough heat behind them to actually spider the glass as well. Who knew. I'm hoping that mine haven't yet but based on the fact its the same year as yours, I'm worried. The body shop suggested complaining to heartland but didn't expect that would help any but...

So now the question is will insurance pay for it. I checked the lame aftermarket extended warranty I have but it doesn't even cover walls.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Don't doubt HL yet! Call! Be nice! Tell them you're a forum member! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk