Gas equivalent to F350?

JimHamlin

I'm considering a switch from diesel to gas for my TV. Currently running an F350 Super duty, pulling 12,000 lbs & pin weight of approx 2,500lbs. Is there a gas truck out there designed to handle this load? Just curious. Anyone out there running a gas TV in this power/load handling range? Thanx in advance for any feedback . . .

Jim

danemayer

Hi Jim,

It may not be just about whether it can tow that much weight. Consider that diesel engines develop max horsepower at lower RPM and gas engines at higher RPM. Your gas engine may tow the trailer, but the engine will be screaming on every uphill grade.

GOTTOYS

Both Ford and Ram now have gas engines combined with 6 speed transmissions that wil easily handle that load. Gm might also.. I'm considering one for my next truck. The new Ram with the 6.4 gasser will carry more weight and tow more than my 2010 with a Cummins. This combined with MUCH lower maintenance costs ie: $90.00 diesel oil change, $105.00 to replace the fuel filter at a dealer required every 15,000 miles, major emissions service required at 67,500 miles at a cost of $600.00-800.00 and more plus higher fuel costs and initial cost for the truck, has me pointed toward a gasser. Yes I know I can, and do, save by doing doing most of my own service and I know my mileage will be better when towing with a diesel but that only accounts for about 20-25% of my miles. If I was going to pull a bigger trailer it would require more engine. but my next trailer, if there is one, will most likely be smaller, not bigger. Just my opinion...Don

priorguy

Ford and GM both offer 6.2L gas engines and Ram offers the 6.4L. Any one of then should be able to pull your trailer if properly equipped. Just pick your favourite flavour and option it up the way you need/want it to be and have some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I know that I am very biased on this topic. Heck my wife drives a 2013 F250 King Ranch, and it will probably never even have a trailer hitch connected to it's receiver. I have been driving them for 30 years, and she has been driving one for 16 years, since her 99 F250 (98). We feel like they have the best resale value of any vehicle on the market. We like the feel, the torque, empty or loaded, and the absolute reliability we have had in each and every diesel we have owned. A gas engine is not in our vocabulary.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had a 98 GMC with the 7.4 (454 cu. in.) that pulled great! It got NO gas mileage and had absolutely no power in the mountains. I traded it for a 2002 GMC with the Duramax and vowed never to own another gas engine truck. I have the Ram now and haven't changed my mind.

mobilcastle

I think one of GM best gas motor to tow with is the 6.0. It has been a work horse for them. When you here a repair on a diesel being 15 to $20,000 it makes you wonder. If I had a 10K or under trailer I think I could think about gas.

JimHamlin

I know that I am very biased on this topic. Heck my wife drives a 2013 F250 King Ranch, and it will probably never even have a trailer hitch connected to it's receiver. I have been driving them for 30 years, and she has been driving one for 16 years, since her 99 F250 (98). We feel like they have the best resale value of any vehicle on the market. We like the feel, the torque, empty or loaded, and the absolute reliability we have had in each and every diesel we have owned. A gas engine is not in our vocabulary.

Thanx for the note, Scotty. Well we finally have the F350 running right again, and hopefully for awhile since our budget took a real hit from recent breakdowns. First the Hi pressure fuel pump ($3,400), then the fan-clutch ($650) and finally the fuel separator ($950). AND none of it covered by the extended warrantee we got with the truck. Our warrantee has expired now, but even when it was active it didn't cover the hi-pressure pump, cab-off repair. So that's the reason for my question about going to gas. Seems these diesels are WAY too complex, and the whole exhaust emission thing I feel is ridiculous. If you put a regenning F350 in a closed test environment and measured what comes out the tailpipe, I bet it's equivalent to straight pipes over the same number of miles. Makes me wonder why the American Trucker's Association didn't take a class action suit against the EPA back in 2007 (sigh).

At any rate, we're looking for a more reliable TV with some level of insurance against continued runaway costs. Will look into a bumper-to-bumper warrantee (I'll take any offers to an experienced diesel tech for close examination this time!) Or just trade for a Dodge or GM, diesel or gas. It's good to know you guys have had good luck with your Ford diesels and lord knows there's a ton of 'em down in Florida/Alabama in wintertime, pulling anywhere from 10K to 20K lbs. Obviously they all feel comfortable with what they have . . .

Jim

JanAndBill

Hi Jim,

It may not be just about whether it can tow that much weight. Consider that diesel engines develop max horsepower at lower RPM and gas engines at higher RPM. Your gas engine may tow the trailer, but the engine will be screaming on every uphill grade.

You're right about screaming. We pulled a 30' TT with an Excursion 6.0 V10. Not bad on level but hit a hill and it would downshift fast. Didn't seem to lack for power. While we owned it never found a gas station it didn't like.

danemayer

Early in our truck shopping experience we were looking at a Ford gasser as well as diesels. The salesman was pretty straight with us. His comment was "it'll pass anything except a gas station." Then he went on to say that he wouldn't sell us that truck to tow a 16,000 lb. 5th wheel because he knew we'd be cursing him later.

mobilcastle

Dan,
I did not see your post before I posted. How is the new Dodge. Give us a comparison to the Duramax. Post some pictures.

kc5mhb

I can attest to the F250 SD V10 passing everything but a gas station. I have a 2000 F250 V10 4X4 with the 4R100 transmission and 4.30 gears front and rear. Unloaded on the highway I get about 12 -13 MPG. Loaded and pulling my Trail Runner 2700 BHS on flat ground I get about 8. Pulling through the hills of Mississippi this weekend with the TT and golf cart in the bed of the truck(8' bed) I got a whopping 6 MPG. Now my truck is not lifted nor does it have oversize tires but it does have a Banks Ram Air, torque tubes, exhaust system and a SCT X3 tune from Mike at 5 Star Tuning. Without that tune I'd be running in 4th all the time at around 3500 RPM. This truck downshifts a lot through the hills and high RPM is where it builds its torque. I bought this truck because my wife's 2007 Expedition EL Limited had issues pulling the TT so I got what I could afford and find at the time. If I could have found a 2000-2002 F250 diesel at a decent price with reasonable mileage, I would have bought it because that 7.3 was a real workhorse. Hope you find something that works better for you.

ncc1701e

I have watch this discussion and guess it's time to throw in two cents. My previous truck was a 2011 F250 with a 6.4 gas engine. Absolutely a work horse. We had a Sundance 2800RL fifth wheel (8750# dry) at the same time. Pulled through th Smokies and out to Rapid City SD without issue. Now for the down side. Gas mileage without the camper was never better than 14mpg, with the camper 8-10mpg. Through the mountains the truck pulled great, but the rpms ran pretty high and you had to watch the temps.

Would I even consider pulling a 12,000# camper with a gas. No way is that a realistic consideration and this from a Ford forever guy. Just go for the diesel. I can not even imagine a dealer would honestly consider selling a gas truck of any brand for pulling a large fifth wheel. Simply a case of answering two questions.

1. Can you pull it? Sure, not long.
2. Should you consider a gas? No

GOTTOYS

I think you may find the latest crop of gasser V-8s with the 6 speed speed transmissions are a far cry from the V-10 Fords and old big block GMs. The current Ram with a 6.4 gas engine equipped with 4:10 gear is rated to pull more weight than my 2010 Cummins. Take a good look at what is now offered and you will be surprised....Don