Which truck?

tsoileau

I have researched the threads and still have concerns. I have a Big Country 3250TS that I currently pull with a 2007 Ram 1500 with the Big Horn package and a hemi. It has the 20" tires and the towing package. I put timbrems on it and have not had any problems hauling it around. The rpms stay around 2000 which is what it runs without towing but I know that I am over weight. I really like my truck but I know I need to upgrade which is where my concern starts. Should I or could I go with a 2500, a 3500 with dual rear wheels or a 3500 with single rear wheels. I want what it will take but I don't want too much. The wife has to drive this vehicle daily as I drive another. I am still looking at the dodge because of the engine--should I look at others ie. chev or ford?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm confident that you'll hear Chevy and GMC owners and Ford and Dodge owners all praising their individual truck. I've driven a Dodge 2500 Crew short box as a loaner. I liked the turning radius better than my Chev 3500 dually but that's about all. They all make decent truck now it's just a matter of brand choice that will be your's. How heavy? In my experience, I've always needed something bigger. I start out buying what works and then end up needing something bigger and losing money on a sale or trade in. A 2500 should do nicely for a 3250 but a SRW 3500 might get you into the future. Definitely deisel! There are "Independent" tests that show GM is the best hauler out there! I tend to agree, but I have a Chevy.

tsoileau

appreciate the info

Thanks for the info. I do like the chevy but others are tell me that there are problems with the engine unlike the cummins. I did look at some 2500's but was worried about the future and having to do this all again--which is why I'm leaning heavy for a swr 3500. Hope I don't regret the dually later on??

thanks!

ct0218

Thanks for the info. I do like the chevy but others are tell me that there are problems with the engine unlike the cummins. I did look at some 2500's but was worried about the future and having to do this all again--which is why I'm leaning heavy for a swr 3500. Hope I don't regret the dually later on??

thanks!
Actually, all three probably have the about the same percentage of "problems" with their engines, but the GM Duramax has used the same basic block for 8 years and has worked out all the bugs. I think Ford and Dodge are currently using new blocks, and they have their share of problems. Lots of rumors out there such as all the Duramax aluminum head failures. There weren't but a handfull in the eight years but the rumor persists. Just make sure you get one big enough to handle the load. Any of the trucks can probably do the job if properly equipped, and each has it's good points and bad points.

Niles

Just gotta put my 2 cents in, not many Dodge fans seems like, Cummins has been building engines for a very long time, and putting them in pickups a lot longer than the other two. I have friends that have both the ford which is built by Navistar, and the chevy which is a Iuzu. When on trips together I know who pulls in to fuel more often and it isn't me, not just because I have bigger tanks. Ford never gets the mileage the Cummins does, Chevy is close they have had a lot of trial and error, chevy fans remember the 350 block diesel??? No braggers there uh. Not trying to be mean. I don't have the Mega Cab because I wanted the long bed, however if it would of worked for me I would of had one in a heartbeat, nothing compares to the room in that cab. Please be gentle in your responses, I'm very sensitive!!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Just gotta put my 2 cents in, not many Dodge fans seems like, Cummins has been building engines for a very long time, and putting them in pickups a lot longer than the other two. I have friends that have both the ford which is built by Navistar, and the chevy which is a Iuzu. When on trips together I know who pulls in to fuel more often and it isn't me, not just because I have bigger tanks. Ford never gets the mileage the Cummins does, Chevy is close they have had a lot of trial and error, chevy fans remember the 350 block diesel??? No braggers there uh. Not trying to be mean. I don't have the Mega Cab because I wanted the long bed, however if it would of worked for me I would of had one in a heartbeat, nothing compares to the room in that cab. Please be gentle in your responses, I'm very sensitive!!

www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html being gentle:) .....Ken

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Why did he have to bring up the 350? :eek: That's like hittiing below the belt. I doubt he was that mean before he drove a Dodge!:)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have to agree with Niles...our 98 Dodge Cummins, 3500 DRW was the best vehicle we EVER owned. Not one problem in ten years...nothing!! The only reason we do not have it now is we went with the 3600RL and determined it was just too much trailer (pin weight wise) for the 1-ton truck. We now have a Chevy C4500 only because we felt it had a much "beefer" suspension than the new Dodge 4500's.

We never felt our Dodge couldn't pull anything we wanted...just needed to be sure we could STOP our rig.

We haven't had any problems so far with the C4500...and are holding our breath praying we get the same service out of the Duramax we got out of the Cummins...only time will tell!

Uncle Rog

I have driven GMC products most of my life.
I think it is mostly a matter of personal preference as to which truck you feel the most comfortable with.
Just because the Duramax pulls better, gets better mileage, is faster and looks sharper doesn't make it a superior tow vehicle, it just doesn't.
Do your homework, drive them all, and pick the one you like the best!
That's all I have to say.............

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Well after reading the entire shoot out report I believe that as has been stated so many times in the past just choose your poison as they are so close that it takes electronic instruments to detect the difference. After all is said and done I am still very proud of my Duramax and Ford and Dodge owners have every right to be proud of theirs so take your pick folks they are all exceptional trucks and the producers of these american made trucks have a right to all be proud. Just keep an eye on Nissan and Toyota they are coming on strong.

Don

tsoileau

Thanks again for all the info. It sure is fun reading all the different opinions and preferences. Just don't want to make a mistake so I will continue reading and pondering what to do. I have owned and like all three brands of truck--just want the one that will allow me to "handle" my 5th wheel without over doing it. I guess it could be said that you can't have too much truck but then again you can spend more that you need to. Thanks again.

ted

TXBobcat

Fulltime
katkens
You stole my thunder...:>)

tsoileau
I am not going to tell you what to do. I will give you some info you can use to determine the TV you can use. I have a 2006 F250 and I will use it as my example.

Your trailer is as follows from the Bighorn Website.
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/product...untry&type=Fifth+Wheel&section=specifications

3250TS
GVWR at 14,000 Dry 10,800 hitch 1920
My F250 can pull this trailer with no problem.
From Ford and Trailer Life Tow publicaion.
Ford F250 15,500, carry 2600

If you look at the F250 specs the F250 and the F350 SRW have the same GVRW only difference is the load (pin weight). The F350 can carry more. This is due to it being setup with an additional set of springs. They have the same Axle, brakes, drive shaft.

Compare this to the 3/4 and 1 ton Diesel of each brand. Check for your self. Your the one going to be responsible for this TV, good, bad or ugly. You have to love your TV, just like you have to love your 5er.

FWIW
Travel Safe and may God Bless.
BC

tman

BIG COUNTRY OWNER
I have a 2006 DODGE 2500 QC 4X4 with a Cummins, and it pulls great. The previous trailer we had only weighed 5000# and now we have a 5th wheel weighing 10,500# empty and I don't know its there. We have an automatic transmission and at 70 mph its at 2000 rpm. Good luck in your decision, Cummins is the best option.

just went through the big change. We had a 2006 2500 with a 6.0 gasser. Just not big enough to pull the the 36ft. We had to bite the bullet, and went to a 2007 2500 Duramax with the Allison. So far we love it! The redeison for the Chevy 2007 is great, from everything I have read, the Allison is bullet proof. Time will tell but so far, This truck has my vote.