Which truck?

BluegrassMan

As for me, I say let your wallet be your guide. I love my 08' King Ranch EXCEPT for the fuel mileage...only 4200mi on it yet. Out of the "3" the F-450 has the shortest turning radius, you wouldn't believe how it turns. THAT comes in handy with the big trailers. My Dodge club cab didn't turn as tight as the Ford. I sure hope that 6.4 loosens up and gives me a break. I bobtailed to Ky and back last week @ 11.2 mpg, BUMMER @ $3.69+ a gal. I get home and find $3.79 locally. Meanwhile Exxon/Mobile post the largest profits in the history of gasoline !!! Bend over and grab your ankles!

jandvs

We did a lot of research in trying to match up a truck and toy hauler before buying either. A big help was getting a comprehensive Silverado HD brochure from our dealer along with a thorough explanation of how to figure what weight you can tow (which means understanding the very small print). We decided on an '08 3500HD SRW Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax because it had the highest towing capacity for Chevy SRW 4x4's. We found it to be minimally more than the 2500 and we were very pleasantly surprised to find the insurance was little more than our '02 Avalanche because of the high safety rating. We decided against the dually because this is our only vehicle and the extra width of a dually makes for problems in parking lots, etc.

Here's something to consider on combined weight of tow vehicle and RV. If you exceed the manufacturer's max GCVW or max trailer weight, there's the possibility of denial of liability if you have engine or transmission failure, also the possibility of denial of insurance claims if you're involved in an accident and you're over the max. I don't know about registration requirements in other states, but in NC we have to pay for enough weight on our truck tag to cover the maximum combined weight of truck and RV. If we are stopped and found to be overweight, we're subject to very heavy fines. We haven't yet weighed our fully loaded rig, but if we're over the 22,000 GCVW for the truck, we've got a catch 22. If we pay for more than 22,000# to avoid being fined, we'll be admitting to Chevrolet and our insurance company that we know we're over the weight limit. We're afraid to go to the scales but will have to do it soon. :(

buying a gasser

I know that deisel is king, had one, but currently looking at a 2500 gas 4X4 crew cab to pull a Sundance 3300sk or similar weight 5er. If any one has a gasser or experience with this please advise. "Lets Roll, 9-11-2001 Never Forget"

Clark

Here is my two cents: I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 mega cab long bed 6.6 L diesel with 3.73 rear. It pulls my BH 3055RL just fine with tow/haul mode. I chose this particular TV because of the 35 gal tank that comes with the long bed, the six speed Allison transmission, and the way that the rear seat folds over to give a wide solid area for our two Welsh Springer Spaniels to ride comfortably. Neither Ford nor Dodge had this edge to edge solidity for the dogs. I have had no problems crossing the continental divide several times either climbing or decending. If the other Ford or Dodge had the six speed and the rear seat room I could have been quite happy with them. But, they didn't and therefore could not meet my need. Clark

Delaine and Lindy

Just my thoughts, I'm a diehard GM person. I think you can buy the Dodge brand cheaper, and I think the Ford Super Duties carry and tow the most weight. But the Ford Super Duties, F-350 and 450 aren't doing well on fuel mileage. The Duramax/Allison is a proven combo, the Isuzu diesel has been used many year its probably as old as the Cummings for sure the pick-up version. The Cummings a superb power plant. The Ford Diesel hasn't been near as good as the Duramax, lots of problems with the 6.0's. The 6.4 hasn't been is use long enough to determine what problems they will have, lots of radiator problems with the Job 1 trucks, and the 4.88 rear gear turns a lot of RPMs more wear and tear on the engine and fuel mileage not good at all. Also with Ford Super Duties do you want to have to remove the Cab for any major repairs to the engine, I sure wouldn't to pay for that just to get to the engine. I think Dodge has solved the Transmission problem of the past, but you will have no problem with the Cummins. About the only thing GM has done in the past 6 years is refine whats there. The Allison transmission, its the best Transmission being build today without question. The above comments is from a very prejudiced person as for as GM Trucks:D. Just drive them all and go with your gut feeling........... GBY....

I just bought a 2500 with the duromax and Allison Trany. I love it!! If you are useing the truck as an everyday driver a dully isn't the way to go. From What I understand the dully dosen't get as good fuel milige as a single axle.

Bill

ccd001

Duramax rules

I have now had 3 Chev 2500 hd's 03,06,07 and all have had Duramax/Allison setup. I have had no problems and this new 2007 model
2500 crewcab with enhanced Duramax has great torque/power. I now
tow a 2008 BH 3055 and the HD does a great job. I just made trip from
Indiana to Florida and I was getting between 10.5-11 at 65-70 mph.
I know the diesel cost more up front but they really hold there value on
resale and trade in value. Also the new engine has the low emmision
exhaust so the truck doesn't smoke or stink. I know everytime I camp
next to a guy who has a Ford with a diesel I ask him how is truck is doing and I always get the same answer which is I just got it out of shop for either turbo or oil cooler issues. I know I'm sold on GM trucks but there is
a reason for it (I LOVE CHEVY'S.)
Ol,
CD from Brazil, IN.

rdctx13

The truth about trucks will give the lowdown on the big three somethings about Toyota and Nissan as well, look it up on web. This is not just owners talking, these are facts. Why does Ford not have the fastest time or the greater gas mileage, it is call heavy duty. Weight and Quality in the important parts.. No need to brag or complain, Just examine the Truth.. And have a nice day.:)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The truth about trucks will give the lowdown on the big three somethings about Toyota and Nissan as well, look it up on web. This is not just owners talking, these are facts. Why does Ford not have the fastest time or the greater gas mileage, it is call heavy duty. Weight and Quality in the important parts.. No need to brag or complain, Just examine the Truth.. And have a nice day.:)
So they tell the truth huh.....Link?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless I missed something, Toyota and Nissan didn't sell anything even worth considering to pull a 5'er. Just toy trucks with a lot of B.S. advertising to make them sound tough.

bighorn3370

After reading the other replies, here is my two cents. I think you said that your wife will drive it daily. If this is true, remember that there are two more tires to maintain and rotate. Also, you cannot go through drive-thrus and car washes. If you tow more more than not, it is a better platform for stability.

Tom of Ypsi

John,

IMHO those two trucks are just oversized grocery getters. Get one of the tried and true big 3 trucks and you will not have to worry.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Toyota and Nissan do not market a 1 ton truck in the US. Their trucks are nothing more than glorified 1/2 ton pickup. I would not even try to pull a Big Horn or Landmark with a 1/2 ton pickup.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Tow Vehicle Calculator

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-fw.shtml

I have just completed some exhaustive research before taking the next plunge. Not for the next year at least but I did want and NEED to be informed so the right and safe choice was made whenever that time actually comes.

My DW and I are committed to traveling this wonderful and beautiful country upon retirement and not returning home until we have seen it all. But I want to do it knowing I have made the right choice: I don't want to invite "white knuckle" moments or ride the line on safety. I want margin for error!

For the sake of this conversation I am only referencing: The Heartland LM, BH, BC and the new Eagle Ridge. I have not looked into the specs for the Sundance or other 5ver's.

Firstly on the "power-side" that the Japanese are hawking: NO FREAKING WAY ANY 1/2 TON SHOULD BE TOWING A 5VER! It is not just about the engine! Tow it and I will report you as you are a safety hazard to us all on the highway! (Remember what brands I am talking about here before you FLAME IN)

I have a new 2008 Chevy 2500HD LT2 with Duramax/Allison and while I feel this is a REAL truck it sadly failed the above link when all the correct data was filled in. We bought this truck to safely pull our NT 28RLS and then THOUGHT additionally it would do nicely on our next upgrade on the 5ver.

All I can say to anyone not towing with a minimum of a 3500HD Dually is you need to weigh your rigs so you really know HOW MUCH OVERWEIGHT YOU ARE FOR YOUR TRUCK!!!

If you are a short distance weekender with the same specs as my truck then by all means keep it slow and safe but trust me YOU ARE VASTLY OVERWEIGHT FOR A MARGIN OF SAFETY OR IN AN EMERGENCY SITUATION!

If I were to have taken the specs as given by GM I would have thought my TV weighed a full 1000# less than it actually does! I don't care what truck you have; 1000# MATTERS!

I just love the type of threads.:)
SAFETY COMES FIRST!!!!!
I have owned both Dodges and Chevy's over the years. IMHO the are both great trucks. The problem you have now is that the both come will ultra short beds. Not really a good idea when pulling.

A good rule of thumb is one above what you currently need. Today you are pulling 12k but when you trade up you may be pulling 15k. Then you will be buying another vehicle. Money wasted!

truknutt

Committed Member
A good rule of thumb is one above what you currently need. Today you are pulling 12k but when you trade up you may be pulling 15k. Then you will be buying another vehicle. Money wasted!

I can attest to that and have a 2003 F-350 6.0L PSD Dually sitting in the garage next to the new 2009 F-450 6.4L PSD Dually to prove it!! (Cyclone's GVW is 20,400 lbs!!)