Which truck ?

rwdennis

Hi all , i have a 21 ram 3500 , 1000 ft lb torque motor , and 411 gears , 35000 lb tow rating , pulls my 44 ft 16k dry weight fifth wheel with ease , went on a 12000 mile trip across the US last summer , passed everything but gas stations , fast foreward got a smaller trailer , 35 ft 10.6 k dry fifth wheel , also pulls it with ease , question , thinking about getting a new truck , a 2500 ram, normal torque motor , 19k tow rating , 3.73 gears , do you think it would tow ok and what might the gas millage be ? (if known) , got 8.5-9 with the 44 ft trailer , got 9.5- 9.75 with the smaller trailer . reason for the change is hope to get a truck that rides better and gets better millage , any and all replys welcome , THANKS!

ps, looking to get a used 2500 , 2022 or 2023 , and looks like the cost will be about the same as the trade value

NYSUPstater

Is your current truck a DRW or SRW? Sounds like a DRW based off of 35# tow rating. While I'd say yes a 2500 series will be fine, keep in mind the dry weight of the ruck and any weight you put in it before hooking up trailer. Most 2500 trucks run out of capacity real quick. Also sound like you have a gas engine. Having done the 2500 route and ended up on short end of things, I'd strongly suggest a 3500 SRW w/ gas (if you like prefer them) and I think you can get a factory air ride from Ram. Yes it's a 3500, but you'll always have more truck than you'll need as to whose to say you don't end up getting a larger RV in a few yrs?

nickynono

I believe in diesel for all my pulling needs, from being a 20-year semi-truck driver to pulling a 3500lb. travel trailer (mobile dentist office) with various gas and diesel powered (company) vehicles.

For the last 2 years, I have pulled my 14,000lb Bighorn, 42ft fifth wheel with a Chevy 2500 HD duramax diesel. Excellent pull and acceleration, even in the mountains of East Tennessee. Now, the 3/4 ton Ford diesel (company truck) struggled with the travel trailer, so switching to a 1-ton did the job. Never had a diesel Ram, can't speak for that.

Mt weight for the Chevy - 19-20mpg
Pulling Bighorn for the Chevy - about 10mpg. I keep it no more than 67mph. When I go over that, the mileage goes down dramatically.

sengli

I have the about the same set up you are thinking about getting. I also came from a DRW 3500 RAM, and a 42 foot landmark(10mpg while towing). Honestly the milage is about the same, which is about 12mpg while towing. I will admit the newer RAMS get 20%(GEN5) better mileage(diesel) right off the get go, than my GEN4 CTD truck. But in the long run you will have less rolling stock in length, might be easier to park somewhere. But there isnt any real free lunch. The 3.73 will be most likely the biggest improver as the engine at HWY speeds wont be screaming. My big country is 33ft, and 10K. I am right at my limits on weight. The rating of the 2500s with a diesel are only around 2100lbs.

Overall the ride quality is better with the 2500, with or w/o the trailer. But if you decide you want to go back to the larger rig in the future your screwed. Honestly you might just keep your current truck.

Attachments

• 20220704_132606.jpg
    20220704_132606.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

rwdennis

the 3500 is a diesel ,dueley , would never go back to gas except with a small trailer , i also kicked around the idea of going with a gear venders over drive , would make the 411 act like a 373 , but its 4 grand , i guess its better to have more power than not enough power at a cost of some fuel millage , thanks guys !

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I have a '17 F350 DRW,cc,4x4 w/4.10 gears and get 8.5-9 towing and 13-15 around town and close to 17/18 if I really baby it sightseeing. Towing a '13 BC 3560SS maxed out at 16K so total combo is around 24K. I feel that both Ram and GM get better mpg's, but we all love what we drive, so really can't complain esp when going uphill and doesn't downshift.

Dahillbilly

3.73 gearing in a 2023 Duramax 3500 SRD towing 40' 5th wheel toyhauler grossing out around 26k getting 9-11 mpg mostly in the upper mid west. Empty highway 19-21 mpg & around town short trips 14.5 mpg.

david-steph2018

We have a 2018 Road Warrior, loaded out around 20,400lbs. We tow with a 2017 Ram 3500 dually. It has the HO Cummins, Aisin transmission, with the 4:10 gearing. Since we went full time in June 2019, we have over 42,000 towing. May of 2023, we went to Yellowstone to work for the summer, we entered the Park by the East Entrance from Cody.
The Ram, coming over the Bighorn Mountains, did a great job, no issues.
Summer of 2022, we went to Palm Springs, Las Vegas, Zion, Yellowstone, Glacier, then headed East on I-90/I-94. The Ram handed that without any issues.
This is our 3rd Ram. The first one,2005, was destroyed in an accident. The 2nd Ram, 2008 Tradesman 6-speed manual, was traded in for the 2017. It had 292,000 miles on it when traded.

d2freak82

As far as buying a new truck - I don't think the costs will equal out on fuel savings, going from 1 ton to 3/4 ton your ride improvement is going to be negligible. You'd be better off adding air bags or something like that to improve ride quality.
Gearing will be your single biggest gain for economy, and some noise likely, but again I don't think the cost of your new truck is going to justify switching. I would think improving your ride currently would be your better bet.