Fresh water tank

I have a 2009 Bighorn 3055rl, I can only get about 15 gallons into the fresh water tank. I have tried to fill it several times. When the water runs out of the filler neck, I drained the tank and only had about 15 gallons. At first I thought the Monitor panel was not working, but now I realize the tank is not filling and that is why the monitor shows an empty fresh water tank. When I have tried to fill the tank the trailer is in a level position. I need the fresh water tanks full 75 gallons, the specs show it holds. Thanks, John.

truknutt

Committed Member
John,

See this thread on water tank filling. It's in the Landmark area but, maybe you can get some information there. There are pictures, too! ;)

Dave

5erWonk

Dave is correct there is a lot of info on this subject. One quick fix if you .can't get it worked on right away, is to clear the vent host. The most common problem is the vent hose is too long and has a low spot that has trapped water that will not allow the air to pass. If you take a piece of 1/2" tubing and hold it tight against the air vent opening next to the fill port you can blow the water out of the vent hose. After this you should have no problem filling.

fivernine

clearing the vent hose

5erwonk is correct about clearing the vent hose unless it has a kink that keeps it closed. I found two problems in my Landmark--a kinked vent hose and the hose between the front and rear tanks looped down and filled with water. Both require dropping a portion of the underbelly and working up alongside the tanks. See the thread "fresh water tank fill" in the Landmark - plumbing forum. I think you will find enough detail there to fix the problem if it is similar and you want to DIY. I'm not familiar with the Bighorn, but I think there are similarities. Be very careful blowing air into the vent hose, keep the bursts short--5-7 seconds--and let the air bleed back out of the tanks. It is unlikely that an air burst will clear the vent line between the tanks because the air will take the path of least resistance into the first tank and try to inflate it. The trapped water in the vent loop between the tanks is what is preventing the two tanks from equalizing. See my earlier posts in that thread.

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have the same problem. I took the trailer back to Elkhart to R & S, Still could not fill. Then my local dealer worked on it and I still have the problem. The tank will not drain properly for winterizing. They are going to look at it upon my return in the spring.
Regards
Wayne

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I have the same problem on my 3600RE. Can get about 30 gallons in it but no more. Tried clearing the vent line with the air but no luck. Have it scheduled for the dealer to check out.

Joe Isuzu

Ah, the old can't fill my watertank problem. I am also a newbee and have had a 2008 3055RL since last August. I have the same problem. Sometime I could only get 15 to 30 gallons in the 75 gallon tank. After some trial and error I discoved that if my RV was unlevel from side to side (leaning toward door side) I could not get the tank to take much water. If I have the RV level or slightly leaning toward the off door side it will always take 75 gallons of water if empty. Try filling the tank with the RV leaning toward off door side and let me know what you find. I know that level or leaning is good for taking on water when I fill the tank and I can hear gurgling through the vent near the fill. No gurgling and it won't take much water. The air just can't escape. I guess it has to do with the flat water tank and where the vent is located.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Steve S.