Fresh Water Tank Hauling full or empty

jerryjay11

Can't tell you what Heartland would suggest, but if I were traveling to a location without water, I fill my tank otherwise I just carry enough for flushing toilet on those needed pit stops enroute to my destination. Carrying less water also helps with fuel consumption. If you do a google search, you'll find a more detailed answer.

jmarnell

There are a wide variety of opinions on this one, and it's primarily a matter of personal preference. We always travel with our fresh water tank about 1/3 full since I like to be prepared if we need it. You might hit a rest stop or roadside turnout where you want to use some water. And if the campground you stay at has waterline issues or problems with the hydrant, you may need your own water supply for a while until it's repaired. The only time I fill the tank full is if we're going to be boondocking somewhere.

roy2

i guess you would fill it if your boondocking. going to another park id put some in it never know when you need to use the toilet on the road.

david-steph2018

We travel with at least 1/2 full. The park we are at right now had water issues on Tuesday. They shut the water off, without prior notification, for 6 hours. We had water for us, a couple across from us who just arrived about 2 hours prior, had no water for the day.

So, we filled 4- one-gallon containers so they could use the restroom.

RoadJunkie

I'm not at all familiar with the model details of your rig, but keep in mind that if you have overflow vents on your fresh water tank, you will loose water as it splashes while traveling.

hoefler

When I de-winterize in the spring, I sanitize the whole water system. I fill the fresh tank full. Close the vents for travel and go all year with the tank being consumed as needed. We never go anywhere with less than 1/2 tank of fresh water. As far as fuel consumption, we have little to no difference in consumption.