Real gas caps??

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A friend brought his new 2015 RAM 3500HD to my home. We were looking it over to install an in bed tank. I opened the fuel door and low and behold....no gas cap. Just an orange plug....really?. He was told that this factory...really? It's hard to believe that the EPA and NTSB signed off on this. SO...is this the real gas cap...a 2ct plastic plug???

danemayer

Under that plug there's a spring-loaded metal plate that closes the tube when the nozzle is removed. I kept the plug as additional protection, particularly when filling the DEF tank. Didn't want DEF spilling into the top fo the tube waiting for the next time a nozzle is inserted.

More recently I purchased a Cap that sits on top of the filler tube. Here's a link on Amazon. The tether makes it easy to use. Other people have purchased a more expensive version that has a magnet instead of a tether.

jimtoo

My sister and BIL took me to Dr. yesterday and when we returned home, I filled up car, Ford, with gas and I ask BIL about no gas cap. The Ford med size car came that way. Has auto closing thing just down from opening he said.

Jim M

donr827

My sister and BIL took me to Dr. yesterday and when we returned home, I filled up car, Ford, with gas and I ask BIL about no gas cap. The Ford med size car came that way. Has auto closing thing just down from opening he said.

Jim M

Can't wait until drivers have failures of the auto closing device. What is the reason for the change to auto closing device?
Don

happykraut

I opened the fuel door and low and behold....no gas cap. Just an orange plug....really?.
Don't feel bad, my 2015 3500 Laramie didn't even get the orange plug. Bought a really nice green cap from Ebay. They have a really nice selection.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD came with an actual gas cap . . .

Just had it's second oil change and tire rotation yesterday.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is what I use on my RAM.

mXSBexktRUGyKW7oCcYXu7A.jpg

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

OKEDOOKE, if the the EPA said its OK. I guess i'm old school. What if the truck rolls on its left side...do you really think the flap will hold all the fuel in. Well lets hope so and the roll over valve in the tank is working.

'Lil Guy'

This is what I use on my RAM.

mXSBexktRUGyKW7oCcYXu7A.jpg

Peace
Dave
I wish you wouldn't post this kind of stuff on the site. I ordered one today. Been using the original red plastic plug till now. It was working just fine till I saw this green cap.

MotoLynx27x

Can't wait until drivers have failures of the auto closing device. What is the reason for the change to auto closing device?
Don

The 13+ ram diesels don't come with the large cap due to chrysler not wanting to redesign the left bedside to accommodate a larger door like the SuperDuty in order to fit the DEF filler in the same hole. They devised the 2 door method which I personally dislike immensely because many times at a fuel pump I have to stand there and hold the nozzle at a weird angle just to get it to stay pumping. As soon as I walk away.... POP, the flow stops and I'm back to square one again. Complete PITA IMHO. I too don't see how dirt is prevented from entering the tank when a filthy fuel nozzle is inserted. I'm going to buy the little green cap like some of you have mentioned on here.

Simonn

OKEDOOKE, if the the EPA said its OK. I guess i'm old school. What if the truck rolls on its left side...do you really think the flap will hold all the fuel in. Well lets hope so and the roll over valve in the tank is working.[/QUOTE

Bob...I wouldn't worry too much about Simons new Ram 3500 rolling over on it right side...cause if it were to happen... it has so much torque (860 lbs) it would probably roll right back on to its wheels again. WE are all old school when it comes to technology Bob but we cant stop progress.

Personally, I do feel safer pulling our trailer with this Beast! My Hon really does his homework before he makes his move.
Now lets all wish Simon a Happy Birthday!!

We hope to see you all real soon!

Signed,
One happy camper!
Nori

Jim.Allison

I have to stand there and hold the nozzle at a weird angle just to get it to stay pumping. As soon as I walk away.... POP, the flow stops and I'm back to square one again.

I too have been annoyed with the pump constantly shutting off, and I have recently discovered that pulling the nozzle out a little cures the problem. I now fuel with the nozzle locked for the duration. So include "not inserting the nozzle" so far in your technique and I think that you might find that sweet spot like I did.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I too have been annoyed with the pump constantly shutting off, and I have recently discovered that pulling the nozzle out a little cures the problem. I now fuel with the nozzle locked for the duration. So include "not inserting the nozzle" so far in your technique and I think that you might find that sweet spot like I did.

I've also discovered that locking the squeeze handle at the lowest flow will allow the fuel to pump without shutting off!

I know that the guy in the Prius behind the big truck gets pizzed off at us as they know they'll be waiting about 20 minutes for us to fill our big a$$ed gas tanks at Costco or Sam's Club . . .

But . . . I hate those ****ed Prius's anywayz . . . ugliest cars ever made!

Although I do kinda like the looks of the station wagon version . . .

Bob&Patty

Nori, tell Simon Happy B-Day. Your new truck is nice. BTW, are you 2 coming to Lake Skinner next month???