I panicked at Pilot Fuel Station yesterday

Oregon_Camper

While on my drive home to Oregon from Texas with my new F-350, I was super excited to pull into a Pilot station and fill up at the Semi lanes...cause I remember doing this years ago when I first got my 2008 F-350 and it was SUPER fast as the nozzle is bigger.

As I pull up, all the lanes are marked DEF. I freak out...thinking there is DEF in the fuel. I flash back to the post I remember reading here about someone putting DEF in their tank and paying $7,000 to fix it. Semi's are all around me and I just drive through the lane without stopping to look at the pumps.....thinking I just saved my new truck (went to standard pumps around front and filled up)

After looking into this tonight (I'm home now) I now realize the DEF sign didn't mean it was INSIDE the fuel, it simply meant there was a DEF pump as well as the diesel pump in the lanes, so you could top off your DEF tank.

Man, I feel dumb...but better safe than sorry. :)

jbeletti

Good one and I can see how to the first-time user - this could happen.

When possible, use the DEF "at the pump" for convenice and saving. A LOT of savings - usually about half the cost per gallon from buying jugs of DEF.

happykraut

When possible, use the DEF "at the pump" for convenice and saving. A LOT of savings - usually about half the cost per gallon from buying jugs of DEF.
I'll have to check that out. I've been paying $12.50 for a 2 1/2 gal jug( pretty standard price for my area. Maybe I should refill one of those jugs and see how much it is. OR does anyone know the pump price?

Bones

While on my drive home to Oregon from Texas with my new F-350, I was super excited to pull into a Pilot station and fill up at the Semi lanes...cause I remember doing this years ago when I first got my 2008 F-350 and it was SUPER fast as the nozzle is bigger.

As I pull up, all the lanes are marked DEF. I freak out...thinking there is DEF in the fuel. I flash back to the post I remember reading here about someone putting DEF in their tank and paying $7,000 to fix it. Semi's are all around me and I just drive through the lane without stopping to look at the pumps.....thinking I just saved my new truck (went to standard pumps around front and filled up)

After looking into this tonight (I'm home now) I now realize the DEF sign didn't mean it was INSIDE the fuel, it simply meant there was a DEF pump as well as the diesel pump in the lanes, so you could top off your DEF tank.

Man, I feel dumb...but better safe than sorry. :)
This made me chuckle.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll have to check that out. I've been paying $12.50 for a 2 1/2 gal jug( pretty standard price for my area. Maybe I should refill one of those jugs and see how much it is. OR does anyone know the pump price?
Keep in mind that DEF crystallizes in air and has a shelf life of 1 year. When I use the jugs I make sure I can use all of it and just dump the whole jug into the tank and throw away the container.

danemayer

If you ever try to dispense DEF and it won't dispense, you may need a magnetic collar, which you can borrow from the cashier. The DEF nozzle at some truck stops (Loves) has a safety feature to prevent you from pumping DEF into the fuel filler. On tractors, there's a magnetic collar built into the DEF fill tube that allows the DEF nozzle to start pumping. Since our pickups don't have that, we need to borrow the one from the cashier and slip it over the nozzle.

I've never run into that at a Flying J/Pilot location. Only at Loves.

And if you buy bulk DEF at $2.80 /gallon, that's like paying $7.00 for a 2.5 gallon jug.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you ever try to dispense DEF and it won't dispense, you may need a magnetic collar, which you can borrow from the cashier. The DEF nozzle at some truck stops (Loves) has a safety feature to prevent you from pumping DEF into the fuel filler. On tractors, there's a magnetic collar built into the DEF fill tube that allows the DEF nozzle to start pumping. Since our pickups don't have that, we need to borrow the one from the cashier and slip it over the nozzle.

I've never run into that at a Flying J/Pilot location. Only at Loves.

And if you buy bulk DEF at $2.80 /gallon, that's like paying $7.00 for a 2.5 gallon jug.

Glad to know about the magnetic collar. I tried to pump DEF once at the pump and could never get it to work. Now I know why. I finally gave up and left.

Bohemian

Glad to know about the magnetic collar. I tried to pump DEF once at the pump and could never get it to work. Now I know why. I finally gave up and left.

Me too. I thought they were just out of DEF and went inside and bought a carton. Even said. "Are you out of DEF".

BLHFUN

Same. I purchased one when a store tried to "Rent" me one for 5 bucks at fillup Looks like this image.jpg

MCTalley

I have a collar that rides in the door pocket. I think Pilot/Flying J requires them now as well, or at least the last couple I tried before buying my collar seemed to need them.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Ah - the DEF world :(. We have been buying it at Tractor Supply for around $8 for a box of 2 1/2 gallons. Haven't need any in awhile but getting ready to do some pulling so ran by there last week to pick up another box and they have gone up to $10. what a joke :( :(