Fantastic Vent!

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Got up into the 80s today. :) I left a couple of windows open in the Cyclone and the Fantastic Vent going in the main living area. It's right above the kitchen cabinet. Well, since it is the time of year in Oklahoma, for an afternoon rain shower..er, uh...afternoon rain DRENCHING, it dumped about 2 inches of rain on the CG before I got home! :eek:

By the time I got home, the rain had stopped, the Fantastic Vent motor had stopped and the vent lid was still OPEN!!!:mad: Plenty of fresh rain water for everyone! #$%& it!! Looked like the Cyclone had a Cyclone of it's own!! :D

Question: How Fantastic is a Fantastic Vent with the rain sensor, if you don't have the RAIN SENSOR SWITCH TURNED ON?!?!?! :eek: :mad:

Answer: WORTHLESS!! :mad:

Advice: Make sure the rain sensor switch is turned ON! :) (Who knew it had a switch? :eek: I saw it as I was drying all the water from the vent! I hope it still works; I haven't been able to get the fan motor to turn yet, the lid will open and close though!)

RubiconAg

This was actually one of the first things I checked and was really easy. I turned the fan on and got up on the roof. Once you locate the fan and look down into the open hatch, you should be able to locate the rain sensor, mine is a little circuit board on the lower right corner when looking at the fan from the top down. Its easy enought to trip the rain sensor, if you lick you finger (no it won't shock you) and run it across the little circuit board the fan should start its closing process untill the fan motor shuts off and the hatch closes completely. If I'm not mistaken, ours would open back up after a short while to "check" and see if it was still raining. Hopefully this helps in checking the fan.

flyfishing48

Where is the switch for the rain sensor? I didn't see a switch for it on my unit or any mention in the very brief instruction sheet for the fan. On my fan I saw a speed switch and a on of for the fan.

truknutt

Committed Member
Here is the Fantastic Fan link that contains their Operating Instructions.

Model 6600 has the rain sensor rocker switch as shown in this photo (Upper left surrounded by black & red).

Attachments

• model_6600_bottom.jpg
    model_6600_bottom.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 134

HappyKayakers

Advice: Make sure the rain sensor switch is turned ON! :) (Who knew it had a switch? :eek: I saw it as I was drying all the water from the vent! I hope it still works; I haven't been able to get the fan motor to turn yet, the lid will open and close though!)

My model doesn't have the rain sensor switch either. However, I recently had a problem where the lid would raise but the fan wouldn't turn on. Occasionally, it would sound like it was trying to start, then just stop. The folks at Fantastic Vents tech support were a great help. Go up on the roof with a 7/16 or 11mm wrench and a can of WD40. With the lid up on the vent you should see a plunger near the hinge. Loosen up the nut a few turns, spritz it, then resecure. My fan started turning after the first turn on the nut.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
After everything dried out, the fan is working. Before I leave it on while I'm gone again, I will test the rain sensor as RubiconAg suggested! :) Took two big bath towels to dry everything up! :D I just love this stuff! RV life...how'd I do without it for so long?! :D:cool:

Luckyhat12

which model of the maxx air vent covers work with these fans? I haven't been able to get a definite answer when I was looking.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chris, I asked the same question and was told that the manufacturer does not recommend using the maxx-air covers. Bob:D

SmokeyBare

I have a Polar Aire fan made by ShurFlo Company. It allows the fan to bring in air as well as discharge air. The fan will even run with the dome lid closed... to circulate the rooms air. Varaible speed.... there three differrent models...

Here is the Link:

http://www.shurflo.com/pages/RV/rv_categories/polarAire/polarAire.html

Nice to be able to run on low... bring in the evenings air... and not have to run the A/C. I even placed a Ramble Vent Cover from Camping World over the fan. The auto lid opens... until it reaches the Ramble Vent Cover... and then it automaticly stops. Nice to have the dome lid open... and yet being safe from rain. Nice to have the fan running even in the Rain Too....

Marv

Luckyhat12

I guess I am stuck with it. There are times that I am driving down the road that I want to have that fan come on to circulate air in the camper while traveling. I have even left windows open while driving to get air in and out. Seems like a good time to air everything out since the climate will match the outside anyway.

I guess I will put them on the rest of the vents and open them while I am driving to get some air to pull through.

I wish someone would have let me know upfront that there wasn't a cover for them exactly and I wouldn't have spent the money on it and installed my own down the road anyway. I guess the bright side is that I have the wiring in place if I decide to change it out in the future.

Thanks... Chris

truknutt

Committed Member
I use the Maxx-Air Fan-Mate 800 in our Cyclone. You have to remember to have the lid opening knob in Manual mode! If left in the Automatic mode, the lid tries to open to far and then the damage occurs. (The automatic thermostat/humidity setting still works even when the lid is in Manual mode.)

I used to hop up on a collapsible stool when it was time to open or close the vent lid but then I found the VentStix at CW.