Towing with F250

Peteandsharon

Hi all,

I've pulled travel trailers for about 18 years collectively. This is my first time pulling a fifth wheel and I'm a little concerned about my tow rig. I have a '99 F250 SD Crewcab and a 2008 BH 3055. I am not concerned with the Powerstroke pulling the 3055 but I am a little concerned about the payload capacity. We will be travelling in June with four adults, all their gear and a full trailer. My concern is whether with the weight of the trailer in the bed and a full truck, should I be concerned about being overloaded. All tires are new but the thought of a blowout on the highway or some other weight related mishap doesn't thrill my soul. I will be upgrading to a new F350, probably next year but in the interim, this is my tow rig. If anyone else has pulled with such a setup I would appreciate hearing about your experiences. Regards, Pete

creeper

It's not whether anyone else is doing it. I'm sure they are. But, you'll be overweight on just about all the numbers.

Forrest Fetherolf

Best bet is to head for the Cat scales and weigh the rig, then you will know where you stand. It's about a ten dollar investment with valuable information that might keep you out of trouble.

Forrest

fhollan

Probably Overweight!

Pete: I use to have a F250 and pulled the BH with it. It was always a concern of mine. That's why I traded it in on the present TV. My F350 can hold up to 5500 lbs on the rear end. Check your truck owners manual based on the engine and rear end. Find out how much your vehicle can hold. By the time you get your BH loaded, your hitch weight can probably go up to around 2800 lbs. With other gear in the bed, plus adults in the back, that weight adds up. Believe you can also check the tag on the drivers door post about how much your TV can safely handle. I agree with the other two replies. Weigh the rig and do your research. Better to be safe than sorry and ruin your trip. Good Luck!