Can F250 6.7l Diesel tow 16000 GW?

stew0720

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Country 4010RD. It's GW is 16,000 lbs. Of course the sales guy says that a 2016 F250 6.7l diesel will tow it fine, but the listed tow weight for that is 15,100 lbs. I was planning on putting Firestone bags on back to help level it out.

What say you guys?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Never listen to the sales guy. He most likely never towed or owned an RV. The sale is his priority.
Okay, got that out of the way.
You need to know your trucks 5th wheel tow capacity. You didn't say what model or year your F-250 is. That will make a difference.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You could gain 600 pounds of tow capacity if you went to an F-350, 15,700.

Peace
Dave

avvidclif

You probably don't want to hear it but 16k is 1T dually territory. It's not what it can tow it's the pin weight that is a bigger factor.

MTPockets

It's too common hearing people purchase the truck they 'want' instead of the one they 'need'. You are for sure in DRW territory to have proper payload capacity.

GOTTOYS

Even if it could tow it the difference between a 2500 and a 3500 DRW is night and day. I don't "need" a DRW 3500 to tow my trailer but I have one. After towing it with a slightly overloaded 2500 I would never go back...Don

justafordguy

The new 250/350 SRW truck will pull that trailer fine but if you haven't purchased the truck yet, get the 350 DRW. You will be much happier with how it pulls and you will have extra capacity if you decide to buy a larger trailer next time.

avvidclif

The new 250/350 SRW truck will pull that trailer fine but if you haven't purchased the truck yet, get the 350 DRW. You will be much happier with how it pulls and you will have extra capacity if you decide to buy a larger trailer next time.

Not according to the Ford spec posted here.

JanAndBill

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Country 4010RD. It's GW is 16,000 lbs. Of course the sales guy says that a 2016 F250 6.7l diesel will tow it fine, but the listed tow weight for that is 15,100 lbs. I was planning on putting Firestone bags on back to help level it out.

What say you guys?

As I just this week ordered a new F350, I'm newly versed in weights, as i also looked at the F250. Based on the limited information you gave the only truck that matches the 15,100 lbs, is the 250 4x4 Crew Cab. The maximum CGVWR for the F250 is 23,500 lbs. subtracting the base weight of 7668 lbs (long bed) gives you 15,832 lbs, for trailer, cargo, fuel, people, etc. so - 1. You already know you're overweight on the towing capacity of the model, 2. you'll be over on the maximum CGVWR on the truck and 3. you'll most likely be over on the cargo capacity (bear in mind you have to include in addition to the pin weight, people, luggage, hitch, fuel, dogs, etc., etc.), you then get into the possibility of exceeding the maximum limit on the rear axle. While you might add air bags to assist with leveling out the truck, adding air bags does nothing to increase any of the above mentioned manufacturer's limits. Will it do it??? Probably????? Will it do it safely at all times, and comfortably????? NO!!

Last edited:

Birchwood

Its simple ................look at the GVWR on the door sill of your truck and do the calculations.Everyone on the forum will defend there choice of to vehicles.

B

BouseBill

Excellent information from JanAndBill, order more truck than you will need, your new 5th wheel is going to be under-trucked and I guarantee you will not be a happy camper driving a rig that is marginal at best.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just purchased a BC4010RD. The sticker on the door, which is the weight out of the factory with no stuff in it, was 13,056. My guess is you'll be closer to the 16k than you think.

We have a 2013 GMC 3500. It loads it pretty well (tows level). Haven't weighed it yet, but you can definitely tell that big rig is back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Look at the price on the F250 versus the F350. In most cases the F350 can be had for the same or less money than the F250. The size of the two are basicly the same. So why not get the F350. You will be much happier with it. I recommend the dually although the SRW will do the job. I have had both and the difference in stability is amazing. DRW is what I would recommend. MHO

MTPockets

Look at the price on the F250 versus the F350. In most cases the F350 can be had for the same or less money than the F250. The size of the two are basicly the same. So why not get the F350. You will be much happier with it. I recommend the dually although the SRW will do the job. I have had both and the difference in stability is amazing. DRW is what I would recommend. MHO
Good advice but you can't say for sure the SRW will have the payload capacity. If it does, it will be very close.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Good advice but you can't say for sure the SRW will have the payload capacity. If it does, it will be very close.

Every time I have checked the tow rating the DRW was LOWER than the SRW because of the extra weight of the DRW rear Axles. So to me the stability issue was more important.

JanAndBill

Every time I have checked the tow rating the DRW was LOWER than the SRW because of the extra weight of the DRW rear Axles. So to me the stability issue was more important.

Think you may be looking at the wrong lines. I just ordered a 2016 F350, diesel, Super Cab 4x4 long bed, DRW. Per the 2016 Ford book. Maximum conventional trailer towing on the F250 is 14,000# vs 19,000# on the F350. Maximum 5th wheel towing on the F250 is 15,900# vs 23800# on F350. Maximum payload capacity on the F250 is 3200# vs 6,680# on the F350.