Gas or Diesel?

campfire7

I am soon going to be looking to buy a new/used truck to tow my 2011 North Country 32 ft. travel trailer it weights 7500 lbs dry , I am looking at an F250( I Am a Ford guy) but not sure if a gasoline engine would perform my needs or do I need to look at diesels, I live in flat Florida, but I plan to make at least one trip out west and up north right after my retirement, after that I will be doing most of my camping in Florida and south Georgia,(all flat land) . currently Iam pulling with a 2005 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton with a Hemi and it does very well here in Florida, but I want go where I would need to climb hills with it. Diesel trucks cost more to began with, an the maintenance is more expensive, Money is an issue but I can, if need be, purchase a new/ or slightly used diesel, but after my big trip around the country I Am not sure I will need the more expensive diesel and will be lift with the higher cost of the maintenance and the higher fuel prices. I hope you more experienced guys will convince me on one or the other, Gas or Diesel?

pegmikef

When I had my North Trail 26 LRSS that was 8800 pounds loaded, about the same as yours, I went from an F150 gasser to an F250 Diesel and was never sorry. Besides the better gas mileage (4 to 5 MPG difference) to me there is no comparison in the performance because the diesel was so much better. I personally will never go back to a gasser. You sure won't be sorry when you are in hilly country. It really has the power. Regarding the expense. True that diesel fuel costs more, but that is more than offset by the improved MPG. Mine went up an average of 4 MPG which meant I was able to drive 140 miles on 10 gallons of diesel instead of the 100 miles on 10 gallons of gas I got with my gasser. . . meaning for every ten gallons of diesel I bought, I would have had to buy fourteen gallons of gasoline, a pretty significant savings of trips of any length. It is also true that the up front costs are more, but check out the trade in values of a gasser versus a diesel of the same model. I now drive an F350 since I bought a fiver.

On Edit: Also gives you the option of getting a heavier TT or even one of the lighter fivers without having to replace your TV.

Last edited:

MTPockets

The diesel won't cost more in the end. As mentioned, better MPG, higher trade-in value, plus longer engine life. You 'll never regret it.

GOTTOYS

Lower fuel cost, lower initial cost, less expensive maintenance, cheaper insurance as related to lower initial cost...I would stick with a gasser. Not that much difference in fuel mileage if you are empty. If you were towing heavier, then maybe a diesel...Don

skyguy

Seems there is a fair percentage of folks who say stay with the gasser. However, I think that almost nobody (myself included) who has upgraded from gas to diesel regrets the upgrade. I traded a small increase in maintenance cost for a huge increase in performance (I live and camp in mountain country) and longevity.

TXTiger

You will never regret buying a diesel however they are more expensive to purchase, maintain, and insure. Diesel fuel is more expensive but your mileage MAY be better so that should be a break even. For your purpose a gas should be fine for now. Remember that most of your driving will be every day driving and not towing. If this will be a daily use vehicle gas will be better for now. I recommend you find a used gas vehicle and later if you get a bigger trailer or fifth wheel get the newest and improver diesel then.

mobilcastle

I think gas is good for what you are doing now. However, if you think you might want a 5ver later I would go to diesel.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I recently upgraded from a Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 to a Chevy 2500HD for pulling our pull behind Heartland Trail Runner, which weighs in around 8000 pounds.

It is also my daily driver!

I really thought hard about the diesel, but in the end chose the gas engine and so far am not disappointed!

It pulls our trailer around the Rocky Mountains like nobody's business . . . and stops it on a dime!

danemayer

To me, the key decision point is whether you'll ever, ever, ever move up to a fifth wheel. If there's any possibility, bite the bullet now rather than be constrained later because you have to trade up both truck and trailer.

Bohemian

Cost vs function, years, and miles. If you don't need the function, won't do the years, and you won't do the miles, you don't need the diesel.

4100king

I had a 2500 ram to pull my outback fiver and now have a new 2014 ram 3500 for my cyclone diesel is they way to go then if you wanted to upgrade to a fifthwheel you wont have to buy a truck to pull it

GOTTOYS

For what it's worth. Things the dealer doesn't tell you when you buy a diesel that you need to find out on your own...My 2010 Dodge required all this, I think the new ones are better. I now have a Chevrolet and haven't had to spend anything on it ..yet.... On my Dodge, The change oil light would come on at around 5-6,000 miles. Cost of the oil change at a dealer using dino oil..$80-90.00. Fuel filter was supposed to be changed every 15,000 miles. Cost at a dealer $105.00 installed filter alone about $60.00 Major EGR service and replace crankcase filter, a CEL will come on for this at about 65,000 miles. $700.00-800.00 at a dealer. About $150.00 for the parts from Genos Garage and a solid 1-2 days of swearing if you do your own. Plus the normal transmission fluid changes, axle services etc. In addition around here diesel is $3.69 per gallon...gas is at an all time low for recent years at $2.69 per gallon. If you don't NEED a diesel I can't see how you can justify the cost. With regards to resale...I shopped my Dodge at several Chevrolet dealers to get the best trade. They were all about the same. I lost $18,600 on it over 4 1/2 years and 96,000 miles. That's $344.00 a month just in depreciation....Just something else to think about...Don

campfire7

Okay, I'm getting some good info. here, but want to add a new twist. I am also an avid outdoors person and a 4x4 may come in to my plans (probably should have mentioned this in the original post). does a 4x4 improve or hurt towing vs a 2x4, and what is the difference in the fuel mileage between 4x4 and 2x4?

GOTTOYS

Okay, I'm getting some good info. here, but want to add a new twist. I am also an avid outdoors person and a 4x4 may come in to my plans (probably should have mentioned this in the original post). does a 4x4 improve or hurt towing vs a 2x4, and what is the difference in the fuel mileage between 4x4 and 2x4?
Can't find a truck in Minnesota without 4wd unless it's a stripped down 2wd work truck. Dealers won't even order you one without a large deposit in fear that they might get stuck with it. 4 wheel drive is not really a necessity and in reality I might only use it 4-5 times a year but it's there when I need it. Can't tell you if the mileage is a lot worse or not...Not all 4 wheel drive systems are equal some keep the axles turning and create more drag, some don't. My guess is maybe 1-2 miles per gallon difference. If you can find some 1/2 ton pickups in both versions I think they still post the EPA mileage figures on the window sticker and you might compare them.....Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
4-wheel drive is handy in more ways than just off roading or snow storms.

I have to use it when backing our trailer in the yard...without it I get stuck with spinning tires on the rocks.

As for upgrading to a 5th-wheeler or a bigger bumper pull in the future...by the time we are ready to do that, our new truck will be old enough that we'll be ready for a new truck by then as well.

pegmikef

My guess is maybe 1-2 miles per gallon difference. If you can find some 1/2 ton pickups in both versions I think they still post the EPA mileage figures on the window sticker and you might compare them.....Don

Good guess Don, at least for the F150 gassers. The difference between the 4x4 and 2x4 mpg was 2 miles according to the 2013 stickers.