Landmark Rubber Roof Detachment

BillnKaren

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto.JPG

While traveling on 75 S just north of Orlando, the truck started to try to pull and started bucking. This is what I found that created the issue - this roof is under 2 years old and has less than 1500 miles on it.

I called Heartland immediately and spoke with Dustin. He informed me that the roof was under warranty, but that I would have to bring it to a dealer. He was helpful in locating dealers and off to Camping World Orlando we went. Steve at CW was extremely helpful and got our rig under cover before the downpours.

The downside is that it will take about 3 weeks to get all the repairs completed and we full time in the rig! I start a new job in Fort Lauderdale on Monday, so I am stuck shelling out $2600 for a room for me, my wife and small dog where we could cook and bring all our food from our residential fridge.

My question - does anyone know if Heartland or Good Sam's extended warranty pay towards hotels during interrupted trips?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

carl.swoyer

Possibly check out the policy you have on the fifth wheel itself. You may have trip interruption

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Check out one of the extended stay hotels near your work in Ft. Lauderdale. I understand that they are much cheaper than a regular hotel.

danemayer

Hi BillnKaren,

If those pictures are at the front cap, there's something odd that needs further investigation. The Dicor roofing material looks like it tore away from a seam at the front cap. But when Heartland installs the Dicor roofing material, they do so before installing the caps front and rear, and the material extends a few feet down the front and rear of the RV.

If the roof material tore right at the seam, that might mean that the roof has been previously replaced. Less likely, Heartland installed it with a seam right at the cap - which I think is extremely unlikely.

You need to have a discussion with the dealer about whether the roof material tore at a seam, and how a seam came to be there.

Another odd looking thing is that it doesn't look like there's much if any adhesive on the exposed wood.

And btw, it shouldn't take 3 weeks to put on a new roof. Most of that time is going to be your rig sitting around. Another discussion with the dealer should be about you living in the rig locally while waiting for them to start work. Repairs should take 3 or 4 days at most. More if painting is necessary for some reason.

BillnKaren

Thanks, Guys, I am staying in the extended stay hotel. As for the seam, I hadn't noticed one prior to this and I am the first owner. Heartland has agreed to the warranty, so I am looking to see if anyone has been able to get Heartland and/or the Good Sam's extended warranty to pay for a hotel in this type of circumstance. I will also check with my insurance company.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think the Good Sam Warranty has trip interruption. You can call them to be sure. Usually Heartland will not pay for your hotel/motel stay. Also with the roof exposed staying outside in a park waiting for the repair won't work.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
As fulltimers, your insurance policy may cover it, but you will have to have added it. In our case with Progressive, it's called "emergency expense coverage". They paid for hotel stay when we had electrical cord issue that caused surge damage in the rig. We were not going to live in it until we knew what was damaged. Temps were 100+, so it was "unlivable" for a few days till we could determine the damage and have the adjuster out to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillnKaren

Latest update - no one will pay trip interruption if they are not paying for the repair (Progressive & Good Sam's ESP). Furthermore, Good Sam's does not cover roofs! Next stop Heartland! Wish me luck

CarterKraft

Doesn't help you much now but I understand AAA Premium RV would pay for trip interruption up $2500 I believe regardless of who makes the repair. Edit: I was wrong I think, they would pay if it was out of state, I see now you are in Florida already.

They also don't care where they tow the vehicle/trailer to for repair.
That was a deciding factor for me to choose AAA over Good Sam, I don't want to be locked into having a unknown shop making repairs on my vehicles and doubling my repair cost.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Latest update - no one will pay trip interruption if they are not paying for the repair (Progressive & Good Sam's ESP). Furthermore, Good Sam's does not cover roofs! Next stop Heartland! Wish me luck

I would speak to someone else at progressive if you have "emergency expense" coverage. It should not matter if they are paying for the repair. Progressive did pay for replacing our tv, shore power cable and surge protector. No repair was done, and they covered the hotel stay without a blink of an eye. In fact, they called me to ask where the receipt was for the hotel stay, a day after I told them we stayed in the hotel the past 3 days due to the incident.

I read the policy, it says you can make this "emergency expense" claim if you have purchased collision and comprehensive coverage and the loss is covered under one of those coverages.

However, it doesn't say you have to make a claim on those policies.

BillnKaren

Progressive will not budge - funny how the insurance companies talk about what they "will" do for you but when the time comes, you are on your own!

BillnKaren

Latest news on the roof - Heartland stated that the materials would be shipped last Friday (8/19) or this past Monday (8/22). My wife called Heartland on Wednesday and was told it would ship that day?! She called again yesterday and was told some of the items shipped, but the roof itself had to ship from the manufacturer (?) and they were trying to find out when. Really? I have read about this BS happening, but I never truly believed the stories fully - now I do! My wife will be calling again today (Heartland was going to call back, but...I know, the check is in the mail!)
I will keep posting the saga in hopes that Heartland will finally read this and realize that regardless who made the roofing material, they are responsible for the substandard installation!

danemayer

Bill,

If they're shipping parts, it sounds like they're covering it under warranty and taking responsibility for it as a manufacturing defect. But if your comment about responsibility is about covering your living expenses while it's getting fixed, the warranty statement is pretty clear that it doesn't cover that. Specifically excluded are:

ALL CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL EXPENSE SUCH AS, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, LOSS OF TIME, COMMERCIAL LOSS, LOSS OF USE, TOWING CHARGES, LODGING, FOOD, PHONE CALLS, INCONVENIENCE, BUS AND PLANE FARES, OR RENTAL CHARGES.

agpopp

Sorry to hear about your roof. I must say though, I am always surprised by the number of 5th wheels I see on the road with the front 3 feet of roof bellowing up in the air like a balloon. I hope mine doesn't do that is all I can think. Looks to me that's exactly what caused your issue.

AlwaysOnLiberty

Checking our policy now! Thanks for this tidbit of info! A must-have for Full-Timers.

As fulltimers, your insurance policy may cover it, but you will have to have added it. In our case with Progressive, it's called "emergency expense coverage". They paid for hotel stay when we had electrical cord issue that caused surge damage in the rig. We were not going to live in it until we knew what was damaged. Temps were 100+, so it was "unlivable" for a few days till we could determine the damage and have the adjuster out to look at it.