LP Tank storage

dewwood

I have an extra 20 lb propane tank I use for our Weber grill and am wondering about where to store it. I would like to put it in the front compartment under the 5th wheel but there is an electric motor for raising and lowering the front legs in this area. Would it be safe to put the extra tank, with the valve shut off, in this storage compartment. I know the regular 30 lb tanks are right next to this compartment but in a separate compartment. Just wondering if this is a safe place or not to store the tank.

Thanks for any input.

Dewey

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We use a borrowed plastic milk jug crate which can be found behind most grocers. A 20# bottle fits perfectly. We put our grill tank in the back of the truck. I'm not sure of the legal requirements for transporting propane but I'm sure there must be some.

jnbhobe

I carry mine the same way,in a milk crate in the basement or the truck depending on what I'm hauling.

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
LP storage

I just read the thread about storing an LP bottle in the front compartment of the 5er.
If you have an installed genset it would be inside that compartment along with it's fuel system, whether it would be gasoline or propane. Who knows if it is any more safe or less safe than hauling it in the back of the TV? I carry the gasoline tank for our genset in that compartment and have for several years. I have never smelled any fumes there so I don't think there is any danger. I also have an eight pound propane bottle for our small grill that I carry in there and have never had any problems with it either
This is just my two cents , OK?

grizzlygiant

I have had propane bottles release gas when exposed to high temperature. These tanks probably were over filled when cool. I would not carry a LP bottle in a confined, unvented (at the bottom) compartment. Even a small bottle can cause a devestating explosion.