Severe Weather Information

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Those of you who have been out of touch need to know about Gustav the Hurricane. Gustav is going to be in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday. If you are staying at an RV park or staying in your RV and are south of I10 from Mobile to Houston you need to think about moving north. The storm at this point is foretasted to make landfall possibly Tuesday somewhere along the Louisiana coast. This can change but you really need to pay attention to the weather forecast starting now and be ready to move by Sunday. Remember, how congested the roads will be so take heed. :eek:

StevieWonder

I really can't help but laughing at the "refugees" that are heading west to Texas rather than north or east. The storm is forecast to make a westerly turn either before or immediately after landfall along the central Louisiana coast. So these folks are heading TOWARD the storm! I guess they don't have TV in Louisiana. :eek:

Uncle Rog

Good point Stevie, looks like a good time to wrench up the lugs good and tight, throw a couple of kegs of powder in the Horn and take that trip to Nebraska.........

jmgratz

If I needed any work on my rig in Elkhart I would sure head there now. Perfect time to "get out of Dodge".

jmgratz

Thank goodness Gustav has come and gone without any major issues for us or our relatives. Some relatives did evacuate and come to our house but they did not get any effects either. May God bless those folks who did receive damage and protect them from any further harm the rest of this crazy active hurricane season. Some people have asked why we choose to live in a hurricane area. I ask in return why they choose to live where you can freeze to death if your heater fails. I guess it is all in what you are used to. Happy RVing....

fhollan

Ike!

Yes! But look at where Ike is predicted to go. It looks like it might be worse than Gustov. You can track it here. There is a pulldown where it states "more storms" that will take you to Ike. I agree! The weather has been "nuts", not only with hurricanes, but also with storms and flooding.

jmgratz

Here we go again on Hurricane watch in East Texas. I maybe telling my age but I remember the saying "I like Ike" when I was little (referring to Eisenhower). We now I don't like Ike (referring to Hurricane). Be glad when this hurricane season is over...get up, fuel up, hurry up....

mike3fan

Ok,how dumb am I? I just took a load from NJ that delivers in La Porte,TX(Houston) on Sunday morning.Anyone down that way have any evacuation plans(mandatory) and what is the thinking down there,gonna be bad? or not?

jimtoo

Hi mike3fan,
At this point they have mandatory evacuation for all the south side of Houston, port area and La Porte. And also all the way down to Galveston. Also down the coast for about 50 miles south of Galveston. Over 3 million people have been told to leave. This started at noon today. Ike is not coming ashore till Saturday and then you will have all the flooding. It is a huge storm. I'm sure they will be putting all the plants in that area on stand by. And you will be in the rain and wind all over East Texas, Lousiana, and Arkansas.

I would call your dispatcher and check with your destination for sure before planning on a Sunday or Monday, maybe even Tuesday delivery.

We were preparing for the worst here, but looks like we have dodged the big bullet and it is going to be North of us. As large as this storm is, we will still have some high winds and rain and we are 150 miles away from where landfall is predicted now.

Check out The Weather Channel.

Travel safe.

jnbhobe

Hey Jim & Bette; hope every thing works out for you we'll be thinking of you. Best of luck Jon & Patti:)

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
jimtoo and Bette, were praying for you that everything is spared, good luck and be careful; TRAVELER and the rest of the Heartland family.

jimtoo

Hey... we need to think of all the people up near the Houston area,,, actually all the East Texas area and Louisiana.

JayC, and all the others, we are thinking of you, may you be safe.

Jim and Bette

mike3fan

well looks like I will be hanging out in Louisiana until Monday morning then have to call in to see if anything is left.....Good Luck to all those in harms way.

jmgratz

A week has gone by after Hurricane Ike and we got our power back on Friday. It was only out 1 week so we feel lucky. We still have to boil our water. We camped out in our driveway in the Landmark. There are still over 1 1/2 million without power. I know you hear alot about Galveston on the national news and they did hit bad but there are many other areas hit just as bad or worse. Crystal Beach and Bolivar Peninsula are both wiped out and I mean there is nothing there where houses once stood. We still are without DSL so I am using dialup connection (it sucks). My final word on Ike is HURRICANES SUCK.

jbeletti

Jim and Sheila,

Glad you were spared serious damage and that is so cool that you were able to seek refuge in the Landmark with a generator and all.

Jim