PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Big Country

txfnp12
12-03-2017, 04:21 PM
I am planning on winterizing my Big Country this week. It is currently at an RV park without full hookups. My question is: Can I run antifreeze through the lines and THEN dump the tanks or am I better off using a portable tote tank and emptying the tanks first?

Thanks,

Alana

jimtoo
12-03-2017, 04:57 PM
HI txfnp12,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum posting side. I'm sure you will get some answers soon.

This guide may (https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User%20Guides/Winterization%20Guide%20V1.1.pdf) help you also.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

Oregon_Camper
12-03-2017, 06:40 PM
I am planning on winterizing my Big Country this week. It is currently at an RV park without full hookups. My question is: Can I run antifreeze through the lines and THEN dump the tanks or am I better off using a portable tote tank and emptying the tanks first?

There is really no difference either way. You should not be putting antifreeze into the tanks, as it is not needed.

Assuming you winterize first and then later dump the tanks, the only thing that will need to done again is the black tank rinse line.

txfnp12
12-03-2017, 09:14 PM
There is really no difference either way. You should not be putting antifreeze into the tanks, as it is not needed.

Assuming you winterize first and then later dump the tanks, the only thing that will need to done again is the black tank rinse line.

That's what I figured but just wanted to make sure. Also, I have W/D hookups, but do not currently have them installed. Is there anything particular that I need to do to those lines?

Thanks,

Alana

TravelTiger
12-03-2017, 10:45 PM
Also, I have W/D hookups, but do not currently have them installed. Is there anything particular that I need to do to those lines?

Thanks,

Alana

Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. Put the washer hose into the bucket, (be sure to keep ahold of it so the force of the liquid doesn't blast it out), and turn on the faucet until pink antifreeze is running into the bucket. Turn the faucet off, remove the hose and attach to the other faucet, repeat.

Just be sure to do the same thing again this spring to clear the lines with fresh water when you de-winterize. You don't want to leave antifreeze in those lines.

txfnp12
12-04-2017, 12:15 AM
Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. Put the washer hose into the bucket, (be sure to keep ahold of it so the force of the liquid doesn't blast it out), and turn on the faucet until pink antifreeze is running into the bucket. Turn the faucet off, remove the hose and attach to the other faucet, repeat.

Just be sure to do the same thing again this spring to clear the lines with fresh water when you de-winterize. You don't want to leave antifreeze in those lines.

Awesome, thanks for your help!!

JohnD
12-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Also, don't forget to run antifreeze through the outside shower faucet!

cookie
12-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Alana, in our previous rig with no W/D in the place where one would be hooked up, we would attach a Washer line hose to the faucet, and have a 5 gallon bucket. .
When we had no washer I did that but instead of running the pink stuff into a bucket I ran it into the P-trap drain there. You will need to put anti-freeze into the P-trap.

Peace
Dave

Nuclearcowboy
12-04-2017, 08:22 PM
When we had no washer I did that but instead of running the pink stuff into a bucket I ran it into the P-trap drain there. You will need to put anti-freeze into the P-trap.

Peace
Dave
Ditto

NYSUPstater
12-07-2017, 09:08 AM
I'm a bit of a overkill guy, so when we winterize, run anti-freeze thru everything, then add more down each drain anyways. Cheap insurance IMO. Never did a thing w/ old coach's sewer line flusher, but w/ new one, blew out w/ air. Like it was mentioned as well, w/ the W/D, attach hose to 1 side into bucket, run till pink. Repeat for other side. I didn't want the outside shower, but came w/ it, so had to do same thing w/ that as the W/D (except, just removed the shower hear and put hose in jug). Oh, flushed out water heater too w/ wand (I repeat that in spring). Think I used maybe 3 gallons of anti-freeze.

JohnD
12-08-2017, 12:49 AM
I used about 2 1/3 gallons of the pink stuff to do our 34-foot Prowler.

ba5online
11-08-2018, 02:16 PM
11/8/2018. We live in Granbury, TX up by Fort Worth and 34 degrees is forecast off and on, so decided it was time to winterize just in case.
Evan said "This next blast is coming from the Canadian Arctic" and that pushed me into action. We love Evan. Here's a link:
http://www.fox4news.com/about-us/anchors_reporters/evan-andrews_
We own a 2018 Big Country 3950FB with Splendide washer/dryer and residential fridge. I used 4.5 Gals of antifreeze and took about 3 hours
mainly because it was my first time and I was doing it by myself. What made this interesting is that I had no electricity to plug into
just used the inverter to run fridge first, then the Splendide second, with an extension cord hanging out the master bath window and
connected to inverter. I did this at the storage area. I had the truck plugged in to the RV and running all during this. The truck brings the 2
batteries voltage from 12.65V to 13.35V in about 2-3 minutes.

I first ran out the bed and kitchen slides and turned on the inverter. I emptied the Flow-Pur water filter canister and removed the filter.
Filling up the water filter canister with antifreeze is OK because this antifreeze will be used for the p-traps later so no antifreeze is wasted.
I filled my 3 gal air compressor at the house and adjusted output pressure to 40psi. The 110V outlet in the 2018 Duramax supplies 1.2 amps, not enough.
I connected air fitting to the city water inlet and set the Anderson Valve to City.

I ran air through everything starting with kitchen sink and a lot of water came out. (Fresh water tank and water heater drained).
The fridge was on and I emptied the water dispenser and cycled the ice cube mechanism several times. I then shut off the water line to fridge under the sink
and turned off the fridge. You don't want to run pink stuff through your fridge. Hard to purge and creates a mess in ice maker. Had to go back home and re-charge
the air compressor. I forgot to shake out the fridge water filter so I'll go back this PM.

Next, added antifreeze mainly for the Splendide hot, cold and rinse solenoids. Set Anderson to winterize. A lot of folks are satisfied with only a blow out.
I am very glad I decided to run antifreeze because a lot of water came out first of all faucets and commodes and Splendide even after blowing it dry.
The hardest part was priming the water pump. Once the water pump engaged, I had to add to the 2.5 gal jug several times.

I set the Splendide to "3" both hot and cold, observed antifreeze entering drum, added a quart in the drum and selected spin cycle and heard the antifreeze drain out.
And that about sums it up. Thanks to all the help this user group provides and all the HUG manuals. The most challenging tasks where the
water pump prime and Anderson valve because it seems just a 1/8th turn left or right opens water ways.

Another thing I forgot to do was add antifreeze to the black and grey flush outs, empty holding tanks and leave valves open. So got to go back this PM.

Happy camping!