Trying to figure out some stuff

What's your status?

• Are you a Veteran drawing disabilty?

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Are you a Veteran trying to get disability or a Veteran trying to draw a VA Pension?

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Do you need help navigating the VA System?

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Are you an individual currently drawing Social Security?

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Are you an individual currently trying to get SSDI?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you need help dealing with the SSA?

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Are you a Veteran trying to get BOTH Va Compensation and SSDI?

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Yes, Lord, I need help with everything!

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I'm trying to figure out how many veterans there are running around here. How many are currently drawing VA Disability. How many are in the paperwork process and need help. And, how many people are getting SS or are trying to get Social Security Disability.

This will allow me to tailor the Handicamper Forum better.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am a veteran but not on any disability (thank God). I am going to be filing for Social Security this summer. My DW just began getting her SS in November.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Veteran here too. 6 years active Regular Navy 5/67-12/72. Got out a few months early due to reduction in force. Not disabled and looking forward to July for Social Security eligibility. I'll be 62 and I'm taking all I can get as soon as I can. My only wonder is how soon before 62 do I apply in order to get it as soon as I can? I'm pretty sure it can all be done on-line too.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Veteran here too. Not disabled and looking forward to July for Social Security eligibility. I'll be 62 and I'm taking all I can get as soon as I can. My only wonder is how soon before 62 do I apply in order to get it as soon as I can? I'm pretty sure it can all be done on-line too.

Ray, about three months before. If your birthday happens to fall on the first (like mine does), you will be considered 62 on the month before. Otherwise, SS is always paying you a month late.

For example, my birthday falls on 4/1 and I received the March payment in April of the year I turned 62. My wife's birthday is 10/26 and she did not receive SS until November of the year she turned 62.

Good luck.

jddugan

Lefty, I am also a Viet Nam veteran, but luckily in fairly good condition. I enlisted in the Army Security Agency back then, which has since been disbanded. I was stationed at Phu Bai if you know where that was.
I am not quite ready for retirement yet, but dreaming of it along with the DW. I'll be watching your posts for pointers and to learn how you guys do it. Thanks for all the info.

Denny

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty, I am also a Viet Nam veteran, but luckily in fairly good condition. I enlisted in the Army Security Agency back then, which has since been disbanded. I was stationed at Phu Bai if you know where that was.
I am not quite ready for retirement yet, but dreaming of it along with the DW. I'll be watching your posts for pointers and to learn how you guys do it. Thanks for all the in

I'm hoping to get this thing done right. Welcome home, Bro.

OBTW, do you remember the famous words..."Phu Bai Steak" and the infamous "Phu Bai YOU, Man!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Also a veteran, but not disabled. 31 years USAF, retired 2003 as an E-8 (4 active and 27 reserve). Got the first pension check and my blue ID card the beginning of this month.

jmgratz

Hey JDDugan, I was also in the ASA but was stationed at the Hakata Admin Annex of Itazuke AFB in Fukuoka, Japan. We all volunteered to go to Nam but none of our class got sent there. My MOS was an O5H20. We were told there were no ASA in Nam as they were called RRU (radio research unit) personnel. We knew otherwise. Another one of the stories that was told. I served from 1966 to 1970 on active duty then went in the National Guard from 1971 to 1974. I was a 93H30 in the guard.

azbound

I am an Army Vet. Oct. 63 to Oct. 66. Am registered with the VA, not drawing any Ben. I am also drawing SSI. I retired at 61 and have loved every day of retirement.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Hey JDDugan, I was also in the ASA but was stationed at the Hakata Admin Annex of Itazuke AFB in Fukuoka, Japan. We all volunteered to go to Nam but none of our class got sent there. My MOS was an O5H20. We were told there were no ASA in Nam as they were called RRU (radio research unit) personnel. We knew otherwise. Another one of the stories that was told. I served from 1966 to 1970 on active duty then went in the National Guard from 1971 to 1974. I was a 93H30 in the guard.

No ASA in Vietnam? Man, somebody lied to YOU! Yep, they were RRU..but, they wore the ASA patch and all claimed to be ASA.

In my AIT class, out of 100...97 went to Nam. 1 went to OCS. One went to OSLO Norway. The last one went to McDill. I later ran into him in Vietnam...and he was only there for a TDY! He was there long enough to qualify for all the "I been there" ribbons and to get the h*ll scared out of him by a B-40.

The guy in Oslo, his uncle pulled some strings and got him the assignment, Was not so lucky as we thought. His address was Oslo...his job was on top of a mountain about 100 miles outside of Oslo. Everything had to be choppered in. He said that on a good, clear night...they could see the glow of Oslo. :p Out of the time before he wrote the letter...he had been to Oslo twice. Once on his way in...the other on a dispatch run. His total time on the ground was 24 in-processing...and 2 hours on dispatch. He said he wondered if there even was a spring in Norway. He also said that he thought he saw a woman once...but, he wasn't sure it was woman...with all the fur it could have been a small bear.:cool:

Little brown brother was shooting at me -- rockets and mortars--...but, at least I was warm.None

jmgratz

That is funny. When we put in our assignment "dream sheets" toward the end of AIT our instructors told us we might as well put in for Vietnam, so we all did. When our assignments came back none of our class went to Nam. Seems as though for 2 years prior to our class everyone went to Nam and when our class came alone they had openings worldwide they they had to fill. Our class went to Hawaii, Japan, Korea, Tailand, England, Turkey, Etheopea, Germany on one stayed stateside. There were 6 of us that went to Japan. We did support the war effort by our assignments from our "cozy" posts though. (if you know what I mean). One thing is for sure. The Army we were in is not todays Army. My son was an MP in the ASA and he spent his whole 4 years in Hawaii, guarding Kanea (sic). Most of his time though was on TDY playing soccer on the Army soccer team. He almost made the Olympic tryouts until he hurt his shoulder. I took my basic at Ft Leonard Wood and AIT at Ft Devens, Mass.

My husband, Spanky is the vet. Retired, I think, in 2001 (Air Force). He is 80% disabled and drawing SS and VA but has been working on a couple of claims for 10 yrs now with the VA. He is still fighting with them over stuff they keep changing and re-wording so they don't have to increase him. He's tried working with the VA reps, state representative, etc, to no avail yet. He has just changed over to DAV so will start working with a rep there this week. We'll see what happens. He has partially disabled with VA for yrs but just filed 100% unemployable last Sept when he could no longer work due to his medical issues getting worse.

Last edited:

Beaver00

Iam also a vet and retired from the Marine Corps with 20 yrs of service. Then retired from Rockwell/Boeing aerospace in California. DW and I retired for good in 2000 and started traveling full time in M/H. Now living in AL. Would love to hear from other AL Heartland owners. Currently trying to get disability from VA for hearing loss.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Iam also a vet and retired from the Marine Corps with 20 yrs of service. Then retired from Rockwell/Boeing aerospace in California. DW and I retired for good in 2000 and started traveling full time in M/H. Now living in AL. Would love to hear from other AL Heartland owners. Currently trying to get disability from VA for hearing loss.

I'm trying to get parts of the forum open to the public shortly. Then I should be able to point those that need it to the proper agency. And, how to kickstart those agencies to get you what you need.

Work will start on my RV in the next two weeks doing all the modifications that I need made to make this thing a little more gimp friendly.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am a USN Vet. 1962-1966. I am what they call a Vietnam Era Vet. I did not spend time in country but did serve outside Vietnam waters chasing Junks, Sanpans and such. Due to my income I am not eligible for any benefits. This really doesn’t bother me right now. I have a descent income from company retirement, SSI and personal investments. I am on Medicare now and have Aetna Supplement and drug insurance through the company I worked for.

It may come some day I will need some of the benefits.

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
My son was an MP in the ASA and he spent his whole 4 years in Hawaii, guarding Kanea (sic).

Ahh, KUNIA! I spent 4 years there myself ('86-'90). When Re-Up time came in '86 they said pick 3 possible duty locations & we'll see what the "Big Green Weenie" has to say. Mind you , Mama is an NCO also so we are looking for 2 co-located slots. My Platoon Sergeant tells me that they never give you your first choice so just put down anything. I chose 1-Hawaii, 2-Europe(anywhere), 3-Japan/Okinawa. I knew I was going to Europe or Korea until the Re-Up NCO tells me it's Hawaii. Of course I didn't believe it and asked where in Germany that was located!! Yes, I did take SGT Mama along! :D

Anywhooo, we loved our jobs for the first 3 years then we got Island Fever and, believe it or not, we couldn't wait to leave. :rolleyes: