Looking at the F350

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We are thinking about an F350 SRW. There are still a few 2010s C/C shortbeds out there at pretty good pricing.
Our biggest reason for doing this paylaod capacity (about 1300lbs more than our 09 GMC).
The second almost as important reason-I will never have another 2wd truck.
If we end up getting a 2011, that means it will have the Urea system. Not that big of deal but not sure if the new motor/tansmission set up is worth the extra 5k that dealers are willing to give if you buy a 2010.
Anyone have a 2011 yet and if so it can you give any opinions on how the 6.7 compares to the 6.4?
What were the down sides to the 6.4? I have heard lots of stories about the powerstrokes but have never met anyone that have had major problems with 6.4.-just lots of stories that may be left over from the older powerstrokes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I met a guy the other day that had a 2011 F350 DRW crew cab. He loves it and is getting great MPG not towing. The urea to him is not a big deal and he found the fluid additive available for about $8.00 at the convenience store near his house. Only has to add every 5000 miles or so. He said it has a gauge to tell you when to add. I have a 2010 F350 DRW crew cab FX4 and get 9 mpg towing and 13 highway. I love it but wish the mpg was better. The 2011 has a higher towing capacity and also has a built in anti-sway system and other towing goodies. Both are nice trucks.

SouthernNights

I did not know about the built in anti sway system. I guess I need to do more research. Thanks.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
If the "anti sway system" is a typical sway bar...be very careful! This is a major part of the problem we had with our truck "beating up" our Bighorn. A sway bar is designed to control upper/tall lateral loads, and when one wheel "smacks" down into a hole, etc., it transfers this directly to the opposite wheel, this causes a very "stiff", rough ride for the 5th wheel.

As it was explained to us, by Dale Fenton at Trailair, since we tow with a 4-way articulating hitch, there is no need for the sway bar...the hitch handles the upper lateral load, without the extremely stiff/jarring ride....removed it and the truck rides and tows MUCH, MUCH better now....The Bighorn is surely happier, as are we...

bill40

The new specifications on the 2011 GMC are greatly improved from the 2010, if you are still looking. Probably not as nice looking as the Ford.

SouthernNights

From what I have found out, the 2011 anti sway control, if that is what you were referring to Jim, is called AdvanceTrac. It apparently is new for 2011.
There is a traction control on the 2010 but it appears it just cuts the engine power if you loose traction. Not sure how I feel about that.

I do like the looks of the Ford better thean the GM. Have for years. One of the biggest things it appears that I would be giving up is the Allison transmission and it's ability to help brake you. The new 2011 Fords have a new transmission that can do the same thing but 5k is alot of money between the 2010 and 2011.
The other thing is this is the first model year for the 6.7/ transmission combo. I don't like to be the first one on the block and "trying it out".

I may end of waiting but if the 6.4 and it's transmission is as reliable as the forums I read say it is-why really wait.

Thanks for all the info and thoughts. Any input is greatly appreciated

hcriddle

My daughter's boyfriend rode in a 2011 yesterday and called me about it. He has driven my 2002 F250 diesel several times and he said the difference in the new 6.7 is amazing even over the 7.3 which is about the best engine Ford put in their trucks. He is a truck guy and he is a GM guy but he said he loved the truck and the move of the turbo charger took out almost all the lag time in the turbo kicking in. He was pretty impressed with his buddy's new Ford.

DXprowler

Don't know too much about the '11's, especially if they rushed it into production like they did with the 6L, which turned out to be a total nightmare but my sig F350 has been great! It replaced an '05 6L F250 and the power difference is very noticeable plus the reliability is way better! I had issues with the '05, not huge one's, but issues that were enough for me to get the 6.4L. The only thing that needed corrected on the 6.4L has been a leaky cam sensor O ring, the air bag sensor and a sticky caliper and all fixed under warranty. This one handles the 3410RE with no problems, will not be bothered by the weight police, has plenty of power and tows great! Of course better mileage would be appreciated but average about 14.5 mpg Hwy and 9 mpg towing which isn't so bad. I've seen it as high as 9.8 and as low as 7.5 when towing in Northwestern Ontario with lots of 7% grades. It's a keeper, well for now at least! :)

SouthernNights

Wow 14.5 is the best you get without towing? Is that interstate or around town and out in the woods?

Glad you got a good 6.4. From all the reading I have done, they seem to be as good as the Duramax-whuch also had its share of problems when it was new.

I know Gus (boat to 5er) had a radiator problem a few months ago. Supposedly his was the corrected version but still had the problem.

On an edit, i found this thread started by Jim last year.//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12217-2010-Ford-F350

I guess that gives me a better idea on mileage.

ChopperBill

Guess I will keep my 03 GMC D around awhile. Pulls the BH great and I am getting 21+ mph empty on the highway, with my Juice on #1.

nemo45

One thing i read is that there would be no manual transmission available with the 6.7. Of course that wouldn't bother me, but it will some.

DXprowler

Wow 14.5 is the best you get without towing? Is that interstate or around town and out in the woods? .......

That's a mix of Freeway, Hwy and around town! I know it sucks but it's a heavy truck, around 8,600 lbs not loaded. I also know I have tons of power and the weight rated capacity to tow the 3410RE UNDER the manufactures weight ratings (I've weighed the rig)! When I bought the truck in '08 Fords had the better weight ratings than the other 2. With my present setup I'm not over loaded in any area be it pin weight, trailer GVWR or truck GVWR which is important to me. Also, I don't need any power mods, airbags or whatever to supplement the truck. With all the go fast parts and suspension upgrades I've done on previous 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, I'm not interested in digging up that hole in the backyard and throwing my money in it again! It was fun at the time but I guess I'm getting more stingy as time goes on! lol

Now this is all just my opinion. What others tow with is their preference and their business. The beauty of it is that we have 3 good manufactures that offer excellent trucks and I'm not trying to say that one is better than the other! Actually if I had the money I'd love to buy all 3, wouldn't that be nice! So it just boils down to personal choice. I'm sure in some instances colour has been the determining factor for many as opposed to manufacture's specs!

From what I hear (on the forums as I haven't researched it yet) GM has boosted their weight ratings comparable to Ford and apparently have better fuel mileage. Might be a better option even if you have to use a dually! But then again, a dually is probably the safer option anyway!

SouthernNights

Bill, I agree with you that 1) all three are good trucks that perform very well and 2) all the mods like air intakes, tuners, exhaust etc are not necessary if the truck is used with in the parameters it was built for. As a matter of fact, for the average person, alot of these mods can be detrimental to the truck.

We are looking to full time (or real close to it) at least for a few years very soon. My current truck does not have the "comfort " features nor is it 4wd. If I am going to spend more time in the truck than I do now, I want it to be comfortable. I have always liked the Ford styling. I have tried to keep up with the forums for the Ford Dodge and GM and they read about the same way this forum does. It seems that all are good units but there are always some problems that get the attention on a given forum that overshadows everything else.

What I was looking for and got here was anything first hand that I need to take into consideration. Like Ken's experience with sway bars or your real life fuel mileage. Anything like that can give you a heads up when looking or buying. At least you kind of know what to expect.

One thing I have found out as Jim pointed out on another thread, the difference between a 250 and 350 on the Fords is one leaf. At least from the info I have found. Same size brakes, rear, drive line, chassis etc.

I also thought because Ford has a major change between the the 2010 and 2011 I could pick up a 2010 for a reasonable price. I found two 2010 350s Larriets with the equipment i wanted. The first dealer in NC said to take 10k off the MSRP and we will start from there. WOW, couldnt believe so I got serious. Well last night he emailed me and he started playing games with the numbers.

The second guy who is local but the truck is not, said he could not match that on the 350 that is not on his lot but could come close to it for a 250 sitting on his lot which is identical to the 350s. Imagine that. I know that 250 would handle my trailer fine but no more. I have no desire to change trailers but what if I want to 3 years from now. I was actually thinking of the 250 with Timbrens or air bags. I did put Timbrens on my GMC to help control the rather large dips in the roads but that is all I want to add.

Anyway, sorry for rambling but if someone can read this and point out where I am wrong or right in my thinking process it will help. Of course if the local dealer starts playing games with the numbers, I guess I will keep what I have.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry I have not read all the comments to your post and it may have already been said,but in my opinion get more truck than you currently need.If you ever do want to trade up in 5ers then you will have the truck you need. I have towed with less of a tv than I needed and it is a very scary feeling.

SouthernNights

Larry I have not read all the comments to your post and it may have already been said,but in my opinion get more truck than you currently need.If you ever do want to trade up in 5ers then you will have the truck you need. I have towed with less of a tv than I needed and it is a very scary feeling.

Well Terry, as usual you are right. Here is the sad part of the story. When we first got the trailer, I had a 2500 with a 6.0 gas 4wd. When we bought the trailer I called a friend of mine that owns several dealerships in town (GM) and asked him to look for a Topkick or Kodiak at the GM auctions. Something that I could rebuild and then just use pulling the trailer. He called after week and said he had 2 09 GMC Duramaxs that his floor plan was going to change on and wanted to know if I was interested. Well, whether it was because he was a friend and have bought several ( I mean alot) of vehicles from him or what ever, he made a deal I couldnt refuse.

Out the window went the Kodiak plan. I traded the 08 2500 gas and got the 09 2500 diesel. Looking back that was a dumb thing to do. I was impulsive with the immediate satisfation of having a diesel. The truck does well but as I mentioned it is a work truck that does not have a lot of creature comforts. Other than payload, and 4 wd, the other big thing for both Sam and myself are heated seats. On long trips that heat really helps both of us. I know this because our Armada has the heated seats.

I am not sure I have ever had such a hard time deciding what to do. I think part of it is still kicking myself in the butt for not being patient and getting a Kodiak.

There, I admitted it-I am half way to being cured. :D

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
It is a tough decision and alot of money to spend.I towed a 25 ft prowler with a 1987 full size Bronco and it did fine.Then we sold the prowler and bought a 30 ft Terry(I liked the name)with a slide out.The Bronco did ok around here but on the interstate with the tractor trailers passing us was a very scary thing.I took the Terry to the beach twice with the Bronco. I almost lost control when a truck passed me.As soon as I could I got a dually.I have never towed with anything but a dually except for when I had the Bronco.Pray and ask for direction.You won't go wrong. And of course you know I am a firm believer in the Ford.

DXprowler

Larry.... I'm not so sure that the only difference between an F250 and an F350 is a leaf in the springs! Maybe there is no difference as I haven't looked at the specs for the '10 models but my '08 F350 weighed 1000 lbs more than my '05 F250! Mind you there was a small body style change and the '05 was a short box as opposed to a long box on the F350. But most things like the wheels, brakes, axles, number of lug nuts frame size were bigger on the F350. I do know that I was very happy to have way more truck and the ability to be able to tow more if we upgraded and not worry about getting another truck. Well we just upgraded the trailer and have nothing to worry about so I'm very pleased with that decision! It exemplifies Terry's comments about getting more truck!

Again I'm very happy with my 6.4L! But time is on your side! I'm sure you could find a '10 F350 somewhere at a good price. Maybe look at one coming off a lease. Big savings buying used!! And as I mentioned the '11 GM's look substantial to me (especially the fuel mileage) and with a dually you'll be able to pull just about anything! With the present rig I feel I'm at the limit now. We were looking at the BC3450, the BH3385 and the BH3610 but felt with the SRW we would be pushing it!

Hope this helps with your decision!