Light switch question

Hi everyone,

I am in IL and we have winterized since November here. Yesterday my husband went out to the permanent site we keep the trailer on. He discovered I had left a light switch on and it is now frozen in the on position. He turned the heat on for a couple of hours and the temp was pretty warm inside but the switch refused to budge. The other light switches, along with the slides are all working fine.
Anyone know what could be the problem here, and what a solution might be?
Our TT is a 32BHDD.

Thanks!

grizzlygiant

Perhaps the switch was bumped and damaged during the winterizing. You could take the switch off the wall and disconnect the wires and touch them together to verify that the lights do work (check the fuse if they don't work). A replacement switch should be available at any RV store or Camping World online.

Thanks for the answer. Yep, I definately left the light on when I went out there to do leaves. I received a call from a neighbor on that. I figured all I would have to worry about would be a couple of burned out bulbs. I guess it's not much of a worry for now. My husband told me yesterday that he'll probably have to take the plate off and see what's up. I just think it's weird that the switch is stuck in either the on or off position.

Happy New Year!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for the answer. Yep, I definately left the light on when I went out there to do leaves. I received a call from a neighbor on that. I figured all I would have to worry about would be a couple of burned out bulbs. I guess it's not much of a worry for now. My husband told me yesterday that he'll probably have to take the plate off and see what's up. I just think it's weird that the switch is stuck in either the on or off position.

Happy New Year!
So it sounds like it's an outside light that was left on? As long as the rig is plugged in, like you said, the worst that might happen is a burnt out bulb.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
For whatever reason, the first week we had our Big Country, the living room overhead light switch began to get hot! Finally it quit working. I took off the plate and the switch was melted on the inside. $1.50 and 3 minutes and it was fixed. I am sure it will be a simple issue to remedy!

Best Wishes!

jnbhobe

If I understand you right the light was on for a long time, If that is the case I would look for a bad switch that probably got hot and melted. They are just cheap plastic.

The melted switch sounds like that could be the problem. One thing's for sur. With me around, my husband always has enough to do to keep him busy! :)

wdk450

If the switch contacts were deficient to start with, there is a syndrome in higher amperage electrical contacts were an initial poor connection by the contacts with an electrical current load will cause heating in those contacts, which in turn accellerates corrosion of the contacts, which causes more resistance, which causes more heat, in an continuing cycle until either the nearby plastic melts or the contacts weld to each other. Then the switch could not be operated as you describe.
The classic solution is to replace the switch. The preventative (if you can access the switch contacts) is to spray the new switch contacts with a quality contact restorer like Caig DeoxideIt (at Radio Shack).

giberf3

FYI, I had the light switch in my 34TSRE get sticky and also hot. Upon investigating I found that the wiring procedure was not correct. The connectors (yellow) were too large for the wire being used therefore caused overheating. When I removed the plate with the switches on it two other wires fell out. Heartland had gone through the complete trailer and has corrected the non compliant wiring of the 12 volt system