Satellite

jimtoo

Re: satilllite

Hi ranger,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Are you asking about satellite service, Dish or Directv, or about the dish it self? I use Directv and have a dish mounted on the roof that I manually crank up and find the satellite I need. The only problem is if your in a wooded area or have trees over you. There are several other systems that are portable and you just carry to clear area and they will look for satellite. I''m sure some others will jump in with some names soon.

Meanwhile, enjoy the forum and your new Landmark.

Jim M

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

I have the Winegard Carryout automatic dish using Dish network service. It will pick up either Dish network or Direct TV. It is completely automatic when you have a clear view of the southern sky but it only works on one television. Two if both are on the same channel.

wolfrat1

hello all. i'm buying a 2012 north trail 30rkdd. i have dishnetwork. i bought a dish satellite antenna and i bring my dish receiver from home and i don't have any problems. i'm having the dish tech come out and program my remotes for each tv.

hoefler

I have the roof mount Winegard and the Winegard Carry Out. Both work exceptionally well. Like said above, wooded areas will block your signal. Since we like the state parks, they are usually wooded ( duh! ). That is how we wound up with the Carry Out. You can move it just about any where, I wind up using it more than the roof mount because of the trees. We have Dish.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

I have the Winegard Carryout automatic dish using Dish network service. It will pick up either Dish network or Direct TV. It is completely automatic when you have a clear view of the southern sky but it only works on one television. Two if both are on the same channel.
I have been seeing more and more of the Carryout like jayc has. Me, I'm too cheap and use a tri-pod. I'm getting pretty good and set up is pretty easy now. About 10 minutes, start to finish.

ranger

I have directv now in my home ,will be taking out receiver for the 5th,just need to know what dish works, carry out sounds good

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have DirecTV and use a tripod and dish that we can move almost anywhere we want it. If you have a dish on top of your trailer you have to have a clear view. The Cube and vairous types require DC power to make them work, but you can get away from near by foliage. Please note, I do not have HD service. Regular digital is good enough for us. Our receiver is a DVR which requires two feeds. I can usually pickup a Satellite signal everywhere I go. Only time this has not worked was when we were in Canada.

Here is what I use:
Dual cable coiax in lengths of 50', 25' and 25'.
Round satellite dish with Dual LNB
Adjustable tripod from TV4RV
Birdog Satellite meter 4.1 (I bought this meter because I got tired of trying to find the satellite with a tone meter)
Multiswitch to feed a second receiver with only two cables from the satellite.

DSC_0884 [800x600].JPG DSC_0888 Voltage Controlled Switch M [800x600].jpg

BC

caissiel

I have a removeble beam on the pin box of my trailer and its also installed on the 2 in receiver at the rear. If I have to get away from the RV I just lay it on the ground. The RV is always level so the post is on level everytime. I also do not bother with HD that requires satelite dish tilting.
I travel the dish on the pin box mount and in 12 years never picked a fly, so the wind never sees it.
I use a satelite finder program, and just find the coordinates from the truck GPS and do the caculation of the setup angles with the Portable and the program.
My provider will not give me the pointing in the States but able to locate the points on the satelite finder program. Oh yes its just a calculator that don't need internet connection. Do a google search and find the Satelite Finder downloadable.

The canadian locations have a very low angle compared to further south, and sometimes the transponders do not align properly. I find the same thing when I set up in Florida. Sometimes I loose some of the channels due to alignment.

I also use an inline cheap satelite finder and able to find the satelite by just rotating till I get a strong beep and than find the right aiming angle up or down. Fine adjustment are done using the television signal because the finder will locate the satelite signal and it will not be strong enough for the Sat. Box reception if trees are in the way for exemple. If hard to install I just find a transponder that has stronger signal and not it for next setup.

P.S. I read that the TV satelite system will be changing to a larger satelite similar to the internet signal system and I will not invest in the popular system that will be opsoleted in the near future. Its the HD signal demand that demands wider band for all the channels to be received.

jpajax

I use the poor mans portable dish. If stolen only cost $50. to replace. When I go to camp ground the first thing I ask for is pull through with shade most the time the shade is in the way so with the portable dish I can move it around to get reception. The roof mount is just another thing to get throe off if left up. My vote is for portable dish. :rolleyes: 1206101413.jpg1206101417.jpg

ranger

thanks for info,think i will go with winegarde carry out,have directv,thanks a lot,ranger