Solved My Intermittent "Satellite Signal Blocked" error messages

wdk450

Gang:
I have been having flaky, intermittent problems with my Dish network system for a while now. Mainly I was having problems with the system working OK for hours on end, then start getting these loss of signal error messages every 5 minutes or so. I called their "tech support" and talked to a lady who was evidently a secretary who knew next to nothing about electronics and satellite systems, and read from a computer script when I described my problems and error messages. She kept telling me that something was physically blocking my antenna's aim at the satellites, ignoring the symptom that the problems came and went. Finally when I set up after a move on last Monday, I COULD NOW GET NO SIGALS AT ALL ON THE SATELLITE METER AT THE DISH. After about an hour of swapping out main feed cables and LNB's, I finally deduced that the short feed cable from the LNB's to the main cable/satellite meter connection point on the dish base had an intermittent shielding hair wire short blanking out the signals from the LNB's intermittently ( symptomwise just like having an intermittent obstruction in front of the dish). I repaired the cable and have a replacement on order).

System works great again - No more dropped signal messages.