Wierd Problem With Dish Reception

wdk450

Gang:
For a long time now I have been fighting an annoying problem with my Dish Network VIP722 dual tuner receiver system. When I did the satellite aiming screen, checking the levels for the 3 Western Satellites, the 3 levels for tuner 1 would be about 2-3 times the levels on tuner 2. I had changed out boxes and 3 LMB's with no appreciable change in the problems. I had finally scheduled a free service call at my trailer for Tuesday, but decided to do some cable tests on Monday, thinking that maybe the Heartland installed cable had a frequency bandwidth deficiency. To that end, I wanted to connect my outside dish cable directly to the receiver inputs bypassing the trailer cabling. Well, the dish cable I was using wasn't long enough, so I swapped in another, longer RG-6 cable I had. The signal levels were now all good. I then connected this substitute cable in to the trailer satellite input and tested the signal strengths that way. EUREKA! the signal strengths were also good this way, leading me to conclude that my old outside dish cable caused the problem, probably due to a limited bandwidth on the cable.

I believe that the 2 tuner input signals are sent from the switch in the LMB down the cable to the receiver as 2 separate bands of frequencies which are filtered into 2 separate receiver inputs by the separator splitter (last year I got a 2 in 1 triplexer splitter that both does the 2 tuner signals separation and the UHF 2nd TV input signal mixing). The low bandwidth on the cable attenuated the input 2 signals causing the low signal levels on the 2nd tuner of the receiver.

I hope this helps someone else who is having weird problems with their satellite system.