Satellite Upgrade

rmathews

I purchased the 2016 Bighorn 3585RL 1 year ago, and also purchased the Tailgater satellite TV system. For the past year I have fought trying to get TV signals while camping. In addition, I couldn't get the satellite TV signal to pass through the trailer wiring. I had to fish the coaxial cable through the slide. When I could get a signal, I couldn't get all chsnnels, and on cloudy days and rain, I would lose signal completely.
Frustrated, I just bought the HD dish with tripod and boy what a difference! I set up at the campsite and found the right satellite immediately using the dB meter. I had every channel including all HD channels, AND the satellite TV signals worked through the satellite connection in the trailer! Didn't lose any connection all weekend, even had 2 inches of rainfall.
I'm sold. Sold the Tailgater. What an over priced unit that barely worked.
I hope someone else can learn from my experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Don't have to sell me. I have been using and aligning my own SWM/Slimline dish for 7 or 8 years. Running Whole Home DVR on it also. Use the APP IP Cam on a smart phone, MiFi as a hub, and lablet to see meters on the TV while aligning the dish. Chris

Picked up an extra Slimeline and SWM setup for our summer RV resort neighbor.

pegmikef

I am glad you are pleased with your new set up, but I have to say that I have had a Tailgater since they first came out and have never had the problems you described. It has always worked well, found all the satellites and channels and I have had no problem with the coax and have used up to a hundred feet of cable. Maybe it has to do with what part of the country you are using it in. Mine has worked fine in TX, CO, AR, OK, MO, NM, AZ, NV, and IN. When I pick a site I always make sure there is an unobstructed view to the satellites.

wdk450

Well, one of these posters is evidently Direct TV, the other 2 unstated as to which system they use. Could this be the difference in antenna performance?

BTW, the "Tailgater" antenna is for Dish system ONLY; there are look alike automatic dish antennas for the Direct TV system.

Lynn1130

I have had the Tailgater for three years now and never had a problem getting a signal or full HD. It is much smaller and easier than carrying around a huge dish and pole. In very few cases have I found that I have to move it around to find a signal where there are a lot of trees.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We have a tailgator and we have had it for a year. It worked great until we arrived in east TX. No matter what we did it wouldn't pick up the sat that carried the local channels. We recently purchased a Winegard pathway x2 and our problem is gone. Not only does it have a bigger surface area to find the satellites, it will find the eastern and western arc satellite systems. For those who may pull in to a campground just in time to watch a game, it sets up about 5 minutes faster than the tailgator as well.

mlpeloquin

I have had the Tailgater for three years now and never had a problem getting a signal or full HD. It is much smaller and easier than carrying around a huge dish and pole. In very few cases have I found that I have to move it around to find a signal where there are a lot of trees.

Tailgater with HD is DISH network not Direct TV. Tailgater getting Direct TV is SD only.

rmathews

I'm in Oregon and using Dish network.
I regularly go to the Oregon coastal camp grounds and found it very difficult to use the tailgater.
Cloudy days = no satellite TV.

As I stated - I never was able to get all channels, and would lose signal when it started raining. I live in Oregon - so rain is
9 months out of the year.
Signal wouldn't go through the trailer wiring.

Others have stated no problems with the tailgater - which is good.
My experience was way different - much happier with the Dish network HD dish. Dish 1000.2

Lynn1130

All of you need to say what Sat Tv you are using. Directv or Dish. Big difference.

I am not aware of a Tailgater that works with Direct. Tailgater is a DISH product.

Tailgater with HD is DISH network not Direct TV. Tailgater getting Direct TV is SD only.

See my post above. Tailgater is set up to lock on to DISH Sats so I would be very surprised if you could get a Direct signal at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Tailgater-Re...415&sr=8-11&keywords=tailgater+satellite+dish

Note on the product it says "Tailgater by DISH".

dbbls59

I too tried a tailgater and could not get it to work half of the time. Got rid of it and got a Winegard Carry out. Am very pleased with my system now.

mlpeloquin

I am not aware of a Tailgater that works with Direct. Tailgater is a DISH product.

See my post above. Tailgater is set up to lock on to DISH Sats so I would be very surprised if you could get a Direct signal at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Tailgater-Re...415&sr=8-11&keywords=tailgater+satellite+dish

Note on the product it says "Tailgater by DISH".

I stand corrected. I remember seeing several Tailgaters and a few others that looked identical to the Tailgater that was Direct TV. I am correct about how they looked identical. The Direct TV version is called Quest. http://kingconnect.com/satellite-tv-antennas/

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Our new Tailgater worked well in Virginia. Now in the Florida panhandle it will not get past "test 2". We have an open, clear shot from our site. It just won't find all the satellites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk