Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Replace Heating Element in Tank Still NO Hot H2O

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Replace Heating Element in Tank Still NO Hot H2O

Went through the same deal myself. Like above the neutral ground wires were off at both the switch and at the connections down by the heater. The guy doing the Water heater wiring that day must of had a real bad day.

2. Print this Post   #12
    Texas-South Chapter Leaders 2psnapod2's Avatar

I am not a fan of there wirenut jobs myself. I believe they are using over sized wirenuts also. The wires I have seen are mostly 14 ga and smaller. The wirenuts used are the yellow ones that are for 12ga. They also need to work with a pair of strippers as the pre-stripped wires are never stripped far enough. JMHO
    Michael and (Kelly) Barnett
    San Antonio TX
    HOC @1817
    2010 Ford F350 6.4 liter Lariat Dually FX4

2011 Inaugural MS/AL Rally- Newsite, MS
    2012 GA Rally- Elko, GA
    2012 Spring MS/AL Rally- Gulf Shore, AL

Follow us on our adventures!!! Our Blog Website is http://rvthereyetchronicles.wordpress.com/

3. Print this Post   #13

Thanks everyone for the help, but I went through all the wiring and everything seems to be alright. Nothing was loose and all the wire nuts were in tacked. I checked behind the hot water tank, the plug and behind the breaker panel and nothing.......

4. Print this Post   #14

BigStinky, have you used a meter? If not, take your meter and start at the water heater and trace back to see where it is you are loosing power. Does the red switch light up?

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

5. Print this Post   #15

Hello Hello.... We are using our 2012 2585RL for the very first time and can not get ANY hot water (propane or electric)..... Called the dealer today and they said that the "bypass" must not have been turned to normal (we were not at the trailer when talking to them...) when we got back to the trailer this evening (dealer closed now, so no answers from them) the switches were in the "normal"position...... Can someone please help, we would really like to shower tonight..... Propane tanks are full and on (we get fire at the stove....)... We are also plugged into power so shouldn't at least one electric or gas work???? Everything seems fine,but obviously not..... Thanks.....

6. Print this Post   #16

BigStinky,
    Was the original element really bad. What did it look like when you took it out. If it was bad you should have seen the burned through area or at least check for resistance. If it was not really bad then something else was the cause of no hot water on electric. Dave's idea of checking for power at the tank is where I'd start. If the element was good then you had power originally then none. If all switches are OK and all breakers are reset then it's on to the electronics or circuit boards for a cause. This is part of the reason why some of us need schematics of these electrical devices.

7. Print this Post   #17

I don't have a meter with me but it looks like I might need to add it to my tool box. The heating element looks fine normal coarsion and no burn marks. The switch still lights up so I have power at the switch. Leaning towards the circuit board. Might just have to wait until I get home. Thanks again for everything. Bill

8. Print this Post   #18

BigStinky,
    You definitely need a multimeter in your toolbox.

If I'm not mistaken, the circuit board is not your problem. The circuit board is only for gas operation. It has the direct spark ignitor and flame sensing/safeguard circuitry. It doesn't even have 110 volts going to it; only 12vdc.

The 110 volt circuit for the heating element only has two switches (inside and the rocker switch at the water heater), a manual reset high-limit cutout switch, a thermostat operating control (both under the rubber cover), and of course the 1400 watt heating element. Once you're sure you have proper 110 volts at the heater, that only leaves 3 devices that can be checked (de-energized) with an ohm meter.

Sorry I can't help more from here...
    Rick and Jan Hansen

2009 Bighorn 3670RL, #1735
    2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Crew-Cab 4X4 Duramax, Curt 20K Q5 Hitch

Full-Timers working and RV'ing since Nov-2005

9. Print this Post   #19

Quote Originally Posted by sunnywa View Post
    Hello Hello.... We are using our 2012 2585RL for the very first time and can not get ANY hot water (propane or electric)..... Called the dealer today and they said that the "bypass" must not have been turned to normal (we were not at the trailer when talking to them...) when we got back to the trailer this evening (dealer closed now, so no answers from them) the switches were in the "normal"position...... Can someone please help, we would really like to shower tonight..... Propane tanks are full and on (we get fire at the stove....)... We are also plugged into power so shouldn't at least one electric or gas work???? Everything seems fine,but obviously not..... Thanks.....
    Sunnywa,

Far be it for me to chastise anyone, but you have jumped into the middle of someone's on-going thread. You've also not provided much for insight as to what you've tried, observed, or what your results have been. You'll find this forum can be very helpful, as is reading the manuals and your PDI when you picked up your new rig. You'd be better off starting a new thread, and giving the rest of some more info to start with.

Enough of that...

The "bypass" is a valve located in your UDC that used for winterizing. If it is set to bypass the hot water heater (winterize) the water heater may have little or no water in it, or at best, no flow through it. If you have turned on the electric (both the red illuminated switch inside, and the rocker switch outside) without the tank being full then you have likely burned up your electric heating element and it's time to get to know your dealers service department.

Have you turned on the red illuminated rocker switch on the tank level meter? Did the burner light?

If you pull the lever slightly on the thermal/pressure relief valve does water come out? Is it hot?

Good Luck - hope you had your shower by now.
    Rick and Jan Hansen

2009 Bighorn 3670RL, #1735
    2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Crew-Cab 4X4 Duramax, Curt 20K Q5 Hitch

Full-Timers working and RV'ing since Nov-2005

10. Print this Post   #20

Rick, Thanks for the advice. Once I get home next week, I will grab the meter and see what happens and post my findings.Everyone thanks again!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast