What's up with Heartland's interior doors?

wingfoot

I'm a new owner of my BH..I don't understand why my bathroom door and my washer/dryer door has a large gap of about 4 or 5 inches.
Take a look at the pictures below. They look like too me they are not the right doors...or is this the way they are suppose to look?

100_9687.jpg
Washer/dryer

100_9688.jpg
Bathroom

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My interior doors have about 2-3 inches above, maybe 1-2 inches below. I always assumed it was for air circulation. My washer/dryer doors are louvered.

Last edited:

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I think it's standard to have the gap. Our Landmark bathroom door has the gap and so did our old SOB TT. I'd be interested to know why though...

hriker

All RV and mobile home doors are this way. TANDT is exactly correct because if you notice there are no return ducts for your furnace. The return vent is in the kitchen area and must pull return air from the entire trailer. I hope that this helps.

wingfoot

All RV and mobile home doors are this way. TANDT is exactly correct because if you notice there are no return ducts for your furnace. The return vent is in the kitchen area and must pull return air from the entire trailer. I hope that this helps.

Harry, I beg to differ..My Holiday Rambler, Hitchhiker, and Prowler didn't have the "Gap". But who knows, maybe Heartland has a better idea.

Birchwood

Our bathroom and bedroom doors have the 3 or 4 inch gap top and bottom.I just asummed it was
for ventilation and thought it is a great idea.The rooms are so small they may feel like a tomb
if there wasn't some opening.

Moose

My previous Citation TT didn't have any gaps.

Maybe Heartland has built in design for low overpasses and bridges? Ya think? LoL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Our TT had a big gap at the top of the bathroom door. The BH has gaps at the tops of the sliding doors, too. The bottom gaps are just enough for a cat's paw to slip under and try to snag my drawers. It's gotta be for ventilation since that little fan needs plenty of air when you go in there and start peeling the wall paper off without applying a solvent.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
That fan has to pull air from somewhere. Likewise the heater theory makes sense, as well. Air needs to circulate, especially under the circumstances you are describing John.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Our BH had the large gaps too. Good circulation keeks the mold at bay. The heater put out a considerable more air than I expected for an RV and I was glad for the gaps. The W/D closet had the gaps to allow for the proper sq.in circulation required in the manual. (Yes I RTFM).

Westwind

Our SOB Travel Trailer had gaps on the doors also, I feel it was for AC/Furnace ventilation. Took note when we first got and and forgot about it for the next 9 years until I was reading this post.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The door to the washer/dryer room has the gap and the top of the door has to clear a ceiling light fixture when fully opened. All of the other door have the gap as well. Another thought would be less weight. The doors are hollow anyway.

wdk450

I have the same top gap on my 2008 Bighorn. Haven't paid it any mind as the door is for privacy, not air stoppage.

My personal concern, and subject of previous postings on other threads, was the door latch/striker plate mounting. The striker plate had to be mounted on machine nuts as standoffs to make up the wide gap, the mortise cut-out on the door frame at the latch had to be enlarged, and finally, just yesterday (after owning the rig over 2 1/2 years), I figured out that the striker plate was mounted too high, not allowing the latch to go into the plate. I could not re-drill the holes because they would be too close together. I had to elongate the screw holes with a file to make it work. But finally, it works RIGHT!!!
Just another finish and fit issue that shouldn't have left the factory.

Last edited:

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Yep our NT is the same, the bathroom door. We thought it was for circulation and that it was indeed a good idea.

We had a Winnebago and Holiday Rambler motorhome and the doors did not have any gaps, but we could have used it on the bathroom doors of both rigs.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Just my opinion, but I don't think there is any engineering or design issue involved, HVAC or otherwise. Its a standard size door that can be used on a lot of different models and by not having to stock a bunch of sizes, not to mention the labor of actually framing the doorway, they save a buck.

sjs731

I recently bought a 2012 Sundance 3300CK and the bathroom door has the same gap. I guess I never even thought twice about it. I assumed with was for the air movement so the fan on the vent could draw air over the top of the door.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I recently bought a 2012 Sundance 3300CK and the bathroom door has the same gap. I guess I never even thought twice about it. I assumed with was for the air movement so the fan on the vent could draw air over the top of the door.
What dealer did you purchase your Sundance from? One of the Wagner bunch?
Ahh, Mosinee. If you cant spell it you can smell it.

Peace
Dave