TrailAir vs TrailAir tri glide

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Can someone explain (to this newbie) the difference between the trail air and the TrailAir tri glide? I looked at the ultra Fab website and saw nothing about the tri glide. Maybe I missed it.

We're trying to decide between the two and the dealer says itd only be about $60 to install...which is more than a case of beer but less than a broken foot.

Also, for those of you that have either trail air, is there anything special we should take into consideration regarding the hitch? We still have not decided on that. It seems to me that the TrailAir is the "must have" part of the equation and everyone has a different opinion on the type/brand of hitch. But I've seen the occasional mention of the pinboxes not working correctly with the hitch...and we certainly don't want that. :)

Thanks!
Alice

I have the Tri-glide and I like it.
I had it installed in Goshen at the 2011 National Rally.
They gave us a great deal on them there.
I believe I paid $525.00 for it at the rally plus tax installed.
I have never had anything but a solid pin box before the tri-glide pin box.
To me, it is a huge improvement over a solid pin box.
There is 9 zerk fittings that will have to be greased on a regular basis.
On the outside, there are 3 on each side, and there are 3 up inside the unit.
The 3 on the inside are a little tricky to get at, but can be done.

Hockster

======================================================================================================================================

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Can someone explain (to this newbie) the difference between the trail air and the TrailAir tri glide? I looked at the ultra Fab website and saw nothing about the tri glide. Maybe I missed it.

We're trying to decide between the two and the dealer says itd only be about $60 to install...which is more than a case of beer but less than a broken foot.

Also, for those of you that have either trail air, is there anything special we should take into consideration regarding the hitch? We still have not decided on that. It seems to me that the TrailAir is the "must have" part of the equation and everyone has a different opinion on the type/brand of hitch. But I've seen the occasional mention of the pinboxes not working correctly with the hitch...and we certainly don't want that. :)

Thanks!
Alice

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Here is a Trail Air Pin Box
trail air.jpg

Here is the triglide

tri glide.jpg

Do you see the plate at the bottom of the triglide? That is the difference. It is supposed to remove the chucking by moving itself against a cammed resistance. In other words, the more weight on it the harder it is to move.

We have the TriGlide through a special rally pricing. I really just wanted the air part but for the price we opted for the triglide. If I had paid full price for the triglide I would have been very disappointed.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What makes you think you need either? You might want to pull your yet to be delivered rig a few hundred miles to see how acts. Then again if you have money to burn buy the one that matches the BC's lines.

porthole

Retired
TrailAir and the 5th Airborne are similar. They function about the same but aesthetically, the 5th airborne is a much better looking pin box.

What kind of hitch is in your truck?

If it is a auto slide type, I would recommend against he tri-glide option.

Personally - I had a MOR/ryde pin box. Got the TrailAir because it was a really great deal at the rally.
For me - I didn't like the TrailAir and put the MOR/ryde back on. Another member on the site here now has my TrailAir, he seems to like it.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
TrailAir and the 5th Airborne are similar. They function about the same but aesthetically, the 5th airborne is a much better looking pin box.

What kind of hitch is in your truck?

If it is a auto slide type, I would recommend against he tri-glide option.

Personally - I had a MOR/ryde pin box. Got the TrailAir because it was a really great deal at the rally.
For me - I didn't like the TrailAir and put the MOR/ryde back on. Another member on the site here now has my TrailAir, he seems to like it.

We don't have the hitch yet.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
What makes you think you need either? You might want to pull your yet to be delivered rig a few hundred miles to see how acts. Then again if you have money to burn buy the one that matches the BC's lines.

Well, from everything I've heard, it sounds like a good idea. I have back issues and migraines, so lots of jolting can drive me crazy. We only plan to drive 3 to 4 hours a day, so maybe it won't be so bad.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Do you see the plate at the bottom of the triglide? That is the difference. It is supposed to remove the chucking by moving itself against a cammed resistance. In other words, the more weight on it the harder it is to move.

We have the TriGlide through a special rally pricing. I really just wanted the air part but for the price we opted for the triglide. If I had paid full price for the triglide I would have been very disappointed.

It seems like there is so many differing opinions with hitches and pin boxes. Makes deciding on one even tougher. :) Thanks so much for the pictures.

ihsolutions

If I may make a recommendation...

I have had just about everything. Regular pinbox, regular hitch. Then Trail air tri glide, regular hitch. Much better. Now, regular pin box and Hensley TS3 air hitch. IMO, this is the best setup for me so far. The only thing better would be my current hitch with a Mor/Ryde pinbox.

Since you do not already have a hitch, I would give some thought to an air hitch and leave the standard pinbox in place. The Hensley fifth wheel hitches are generally held in very high regards.

porthole

Retired
The only thing better would be my current hitch with a Mor/Ryde pinbox.

That is what we are using. With the new truck a new hitch was required. That is when I went to the Hensley.
Since I was lucky enough to not sell my MOR/ryde pin box for a really good price on CraigsList - it went back on the trailer.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
That is what we are using. With the new truck a new hitch was required. That is when I went to the Hensley.
Since I was lucky enough to not sell my MOR/ryde pin box for a really good price on CraigsList - it went back on the trailer.

So you guys like having both the air hitch and the air pin box? I don't know where... or how much I trust it, but I thought I read somewhere a recommendation against that.

But hey, double air sounds better to me.

The only thing about the air hitches is I've heard they're pretty pricy. If they're worth the price, no problem.

I guess our big concern is that we're going to get all this "specialized" stuff and then hate the whole experience and want to come home. Or maybe we won't want to be full timing it and then we've just bought all this extra stuff that we'll only use 4 - 6 months out of the year.

hriker

The MOR/ryde pin box doesn't have an air bag. It has a rubber spring that absorbs the chocking. So it can be used with an air hitch. Below is a short video on the Mor/Ryde pin box. We replaced our standard pin box this past fall with the MOR/Ryde. Its all preference and what works best for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTowrVAteqU

Good luck with your selection and I hope you love your rig when you get it. The folks on the forum are very helpful. Keep asking your questions and keep reading. I have learned a lot here and continue by reading the treads that are published.

porthole

Retired
So you guys like having both the air hitch and the air pin box? I don't know where... or how much I trust it, but I thought I read somewhere a recommendation against that.

But hey, double air sounds better to me.

The only thing about the air hitches is I've heard they're pretty pricy. If they're worth the price, no problem.

I guess our big concern is that we're going to get all this "specialized" stuff and then hate the whole experience and want to come home. Or maybe we won't want to be full timing it and then we've just bought all this extra stuff that we'll only use 4 - 6 months out of the year.

Not a pin box and hitch air, but we do have a hitch with air and air bags in the truck - so in a sense, double air. Looking in the mirror I can see the trailer moving quite a bit on the hitch air bags, so i would have to say, the hitch air is doing it's job.

BTW, the MOR/ryde pin box not only helps reduce chucking, but it also allows damped side to side movement.

Hensley claims in their sales pitch that the TS3 also helps to reduce chucking. Couldn't,t tell you though, never pulled a trailer with a standard pin box.