Things I learned at our first NASCAR camp out

porthole

Retired
We went to our first NASCAR race at Dover Speedway last week. The dogs enjoyed it too.

It was fun and a learning experience.

• It pays to get to the site mid week or earlier, especially if you have a reserved site. Our site was only 30' feet long! But since the campground was near empty, getting us onto a big site was just a matter of a short delay.
  • When you have a brand new - just for this trip ice maker - it only makes ice when genny is running.
  • If you have a spare genny, it is useless at home in the shed, especially when your main on-board unit starts to act up. And, my 3K Honda would have sufficed for most of our daily usage, saving the big boy for AC use.
  • Genset exhaust can add to your heat load when the little breeze you have is blowing the heat towards your sitting area.
  • A "Gen-Turi" exhaust is on the list before our next boon dock (dog camp over Labor Day). Fumes are an issue when the windows are over the chassis mounted exhaust.
  • Sometimes CW actually has a better deal, and it pains me to say this because of my issues with them. I bought a portable fire pit to use (no ground fires allowed, at least in the rules) from Home Depot. Figured for $30, even if I decided to trash it after the race, it would be worthwhile so I could have my campfires. CW had a pit for $45 that folded up and came with a travel bag. And it was delivered to my campsite. CW had a store set up at the track. Fairly well equipped, but surprisingly they did not have sun screens for awnings. Bet they could have sold hundreds.
  • Two heavy duty AGM 6-volt batteries are not enough if you plan on trying to keep a portable freezer "frozen", using either the 12 volt side or the AC side with an inverter (don't know which way is more efficient)
  • Trying to fill the Cyclone's gas tank from 5 gallon jugs is a real PITA due to the way too low fill pipe.

truknutt

Committed Member
I have one of the Gen-Turi exhaust pipe sets. I found that the Cyclone roof is so tall that the A/C sucked in the exhaust fumes with the stock 3 pieces. Went to their website and was able to purchase an extension to get it up & over the A/C. I think I still need to add a 90* elbow though.