Seriously considering Heartland

jaychis

We are looking for an RV and really like the Heartland FX21 and even the FX18. We have a FJ Cruiser to tow with. The towing limit on the FJ is 5000 lb. These trailers look like they will fit our needs. I haven't had a bunch of time to search through all the travel trailers yet from Heartland. Are there any others we may or should consider?

Thank you.

jimtoo

Hi jaychis,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

The North Trail is a very popular trailer. I'm sure some of out other owners will jump in soon with more information.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you go with the FX21, you may end up taxing your tow-vehicle quite a bit. You can expect to possibly have 800-1000lbs of "necessary camping stuff" on top of the dry weight that is advertised (dry weight does not include full propane tanks, battery, water, etc.) I would also look carefully at this site, and also specifically look at the wheelbase to trailer ratio. The tail can wag the dog, if you are not careful. (Been there, done that, with a 4Runner and 21FBS).

Good luck in your search!! I am sure there's a Heartland product that will work for you.

Erika

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I can't comment exactly on the FX series, but the North Trail trailers have been great for us. Heartland has been a wonderful company to deal with as far as customer service. The few times we had service done, there were no issues.

Good Luck!

FordMan1966

You better do a good PDI because my 2013 Landmark had all kinds of problems and has been back to the dealer 3 times in 4 months. A friend of mine bought a North Trail and it had to be sent back to the factory before he could take delivery because of fiberglas bubbling. He now has a leak that can not be found.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
You better do a good PDI because my 2013 Landmark had all kinds of problems and has been back to the dealer 3 times in 4 months. A friend of mine bought a North Trail and it had to be sent back to the factory before he could take delivery because of fiberglas bubbling. He now has a leak that can not be found.

For everyone that has some problems, there are many of us who have very few problems. I've had a couple of minor issues. Nothing I haven't been able to fix myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Although I haven't had mine long enough to pass judgement, the one thing i wish that I had done was negotiate the China Bombs off of it before closing the deal. I am so freaked out about reports of massive damage done, that i am about to spend $2-3K on new rubber before it ever leaves my driveway.

sjs731

I have nothing but good to say about Heartland all the way from the dealer we chose to deal with to Heartland's customer service. We have had very few issues and love our rig.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

We are looking for an RV and really like the Heartland FX21 and even the FX18. We have a FJ Cruiser to tow with. The towing limit on the FJ is 5000 lb. These trailers look like they will fit our needs. I haven't had a bunch of time to search through all the travel trailers yet from Heartland. Are there any others we may or should consider?

Thank you.

I would ask this type of question on RV.net rather than a forum like this because many are blinded more by brand loyalty than objectivity. However, I can say from experience that Hartland does stand behind their products while they seem to have limited influence on their dealers, if you get a dealer that is does not have your best interest at heart.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I would ask this type of question on RV.net rather than a forum like this because many are blinded more by brand loyalty than objectivity.

In the interest of full discloser I am an unpaid self confessed cheerleader for Heartland. We had not been RV owners prior to our Big Horn. I found this forum while doing research, read a lot and asked some questions, found a rig we liked , bought it over the phone. When I arrived for the PDI our dealer had it detailed, full of water, AC running, TV on. We went through the whole thing, they made sure I understood how things worked and I was on my way.

Over the last two years I've had some issues. I've called or emailed Heartland Customer service and I've received outstanding service. Phone calls and emails are returned in a timely manner

My loyalty has been earned and as long as Heartland keeps up the good work I'll keep waving the flag.

.Image029.jpg

jaychis

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am leaning towards the fx18. It will fit our needs and would fall in our towing vehicles rating.

ZNK

Have you looked into some of the smaller North Trails? These may also be an option for you. North Trails are excellent products and a great alternative to the bigger fifth wheels.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Have you looked into some of the smaller North Trails? These may also be an option for you. North Trails are excellent products and a great alternative to the bigger fifth wheels.

Good point. The 21-22FBS North Trails seem to be very popular.

dbdegj

Hi. You may have already chosen your trailer . . .

We got a 2011 FX18 early this spring and have taken it out for 6 trips this summer - one of about 3000 kms. We pull this with a 2008 ML320 CDI diesel rated at 7,000 lbs. FX18 tows like a dream.
We had a few minor problems (leaking kitchen drain, no battery power, door stop/holder breaking) but are very happy with our first trailer.

For ease of use added 2nd battery, dual battery on/off switch(like those on a boat), air vents protectors, bike rack, Blue-ray player.

Found that first time instructions about the trailer and its systems was deficient - lots of trial and error was needed to get the hang of it.

Best of luck.