Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Storing batteries

1. Print this Post   #1

Storing batteries

Everytime whenI store my prowler I remove the batteries because I'm afraid that they will get legs and walk off. My question is, do I need to put them on a charger and if so for how long.

2. Print this Post   #2

Storing batteries

I hook mine to a battery tender in my basement, plug them in and forget about them till spring.

Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve & Carrie
    2012 Sundance 3300CK
    2007 GMC 2500 HD Sierra Classic SLT
    6.6L Duramax LBZ Allison Auto 6 Speed
    B & W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    HOC#2252

3. Print this Post   #3

Re: Storing batteries

Unless leaving them on a "battery tender" they should be charged up about once a month.
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

4. Print this Post   #4

Lead-acid batteries should be at full charge when put into storage and stored between 122 F and -40 F. Battery should be disconnected from all load using a battery disconnect switch or by removing a battery cable connection. If you need to supply any 12 volt load during storage then you must use a solar charger with charge controller or a battery tender to put more in to the batteries than the load is taking out each day to not let the batteries totally discharge which will reduce their capacity.

A refreshing charge to the batteries should be done at least every 6 months to maximize the capacity of the battery long term. It is best for the batteries being stored if the temperature is 55 F or less.
    Last edited by evolvingpowercat; 10-14-2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: edit
    Randy
    2011 Heartland Edge M21
    Manhattan, Kansas, USA

5. Print this Post   #5

Most information concerning lead/acid batteries has been covered. Here's a little more. These batteries begin to loose their life as soon as they are placed into service. They are given a battery life in months and that is usually based on quality of construction. I've actually had a 60 month battery die right at 60 months. They will last longest when they are used regularly or at least charged regularly. If you put your rig in storage the battery should be removed stored in a cool location and charged with a good battery charger every 4-6 weeks. Always charge these batteries as slowly as possible. Fast charging creates unwanted heat. Charging takes place at the molecular level and it is best when done slowly. Today's battery chargers are better than older ones. They usually have built-in electronic circuits that reduce the charge rate as they begin to reach full charge and then maintain a low rate of charge called a trickle charge. When batteries are allowed to discharge and remain discharged they may become permanently sulfated. Sometime slow charging can reverse the process but not always.

TeJay
    LOST - But making good time.

TeJay - Retired Automotive Instructor
    Liz - Retired Registered Nurse
    Pets
    Bella - Golden/Cocker mix
    Alex - Berman

6. Print this Post   #6

Whatever method you decide to use for storage, remember to periodically monitor the water level in the batteries. I have run across several people who had dead batteries on the first trip out in the spring and when I checked the water level, they were nearly dry.

Mike and Edythe Kuhn
    2011 F-350 Crew Cab 6.7L
    2015 Big Country 3150RL w/Titan Disc Brakes and Liberty Rider suspension and Cheap Heat
    HOC # 2057
    2012 - National Rally Gillette, WY
    2013 - Durango, CO / Wyoming Chapter Rally - Vernal, UT
    2014 - Inaugural Utah Chapter Rally - Virgin, UT
    2015 - Moab, UT / Heber City, UT
    2016 - Tucson, AZ / Glendale, UT / National Rally Las Vegas, NV / Jackson, CA / Temecula, CA
    2017 - Lake Havasu, AZ / Branson, MO / National Rally Goshen, IN / Mancos, CO / Moab, UT / Pahrump, NV / Temecula, CA
    2018 - Abilene, TX / Regional Rally Pueblo, CO/ Regional Rally Jackson, CA/ Pahrump, NV/ Temecula, CA
    2019 - Abilene, TX / Ontario Canada / National Rally Goshen, IN /

7. Print this Post   #7

Never store batteries on a concrete floor, put them on blocks. The concrete will ruin them.

Al

8. Print this Post   #8
    Senior Member rick_debbie_gallant's Avatar

Storing batteries

Quote Originally Posted by piet10 View Post
    Never store batteries on a concrete floor, put them on blocks. The concrete will ruin them.

Al
    Al, that may have been true years ago about the concrete ruining batteries, however with the new materials being used today (ie polypropolene), I don't believe it still holds true. Check out Snopes
    Rick and Debbie Galant and Ted E. Bear
    Mid Michigan

2010 3670RL Bighorn
    H2008 Dodge 3500 Ram Big Horn w/6.7 Cummins, factory exhaust brake, B&W hitch. TonnoPro Tri-Fold
    Us: Full time Papa and Grandma
    Her: Retired Medical Insurance Biller
    Him: Retired American Red Cross Him: Retired Firefighter/paramedic
    Him: U.S. Army/Army Reserve; Viet Nam Vet
    Member #: 1296
    VIN: 07933
    St. Ignace, Mi rally Summer 2009
    Ludington, Mi rally Summer 2010
    Goshen, In Welcome home rally Summer 2011
    Wild Cherry RV Resort, Leelanau, Mi Summer 2011
    Hopkins, Mi Rally Summer 2012

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!

9. Print this Post   #9

Storing batteries

Quote Originally Posted by piet10 View Post

Al
    That is an "old wives tale"
    But if you gave a battery with a leak, the acid will ruin the concrete surface.

iPhone using Tapatalk
    Duane & Debbie with Regis & Baylee
    RIP camping buddies Cagney, Misty, my Molly & Gungy
    2011 F-350 DRW

Rallies & campouts:
    2012 - 7
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 9
    2015 - 8
    2016 - 8
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 8 so far

Mods
    --- Topic index --- TST TPMS --- SAT TV --- Onan issues --- Hensley TS-3 :-( --- Ramp failure

10. Print this Post   #10

I park 3 cars for the winter and head south for the winter.

I disconnect the negative post of the battery and let the batteries freeze for the winter, fully charged of course. For the past 7 years I just reconnect the negative post in the spring when I return, then I start one car after the other and they never fail to start on their own power. One battery is now 8 years old and still a great performer.

When I use to park the RV for the winter I did the same thing and Batteries lasted up to 6 year. Since fulltiming and never parking the trailer over winter, the batteries have been failling much more often.
    Barbara and Laurent, Retired teacher and maintenance/engineering,Full Timing
    Mods: Hydraulic selector valves, Queen bed, heavier front closet rod, W/D door swing changed, 2" rear hitch. 2" pin box hitch.Added build in water filter, Replaced HW Tank Fittings. Modified 2 ceiling vents. Relocated shocks to 60deg. 9/16" U-bolts and spring plates.Center 7500 lbs Scissor Stabilizer Jacks. Hawkshead TPMS. Reinforced kitchen sink supports.More supports and longer rails to couch drawer. Modified bedroom steps for storage. Modified landing gear jacks, etc.
    2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Use ScangaugeII for Economy, available 60 XGauges and Scanner, Fuel Pressure Gauge, Max Energy by Hypertech set at 85HP for cooling, torque and economy. ELC Coolant and Filter and EGR cooler deleted. 2 added 1300lbs each spring plies, Fuel mileage 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. 6.2" din2 touch screen car Radio with DVD, TV, CD,SD,USB, GPS and Rear Cam,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast