Pex tool OK?

Garypowell

I have never had a problem with my plumbing. I added a line inside of my unit for a dishwasher and used Shark Bites that were made from gold.

I decided today before my next outing (Rally at Williston) to lay in a supply of less expensive fittings for emergencies. Instead of the $75 real tool I bought a tool that resembles a tool I have for flaring copper for $25.

It seems you put this thing around the pipe/ring and then crush it using a vice grip.

Has anyone used this type of tool and does it work OK? Keep in mind my plan is for emergencies only.

57chevyconvt

I have the less expensive PEX crimping tool and it works just fine. It is smaller than the PEX tool that is sold at Lowe's and therefore easier to get into small spaces. I keep the tool on board behind the basement partition wall along with extra fittings.

Gaffer

The cheap ones don't have a calibration gauage that helps insure not too tight but tight enough on the crimp ring. Not great for tight spaces but peace of mind. And you can always use the shark bites for the really difficult to reach ones. The vise grip one might be difficult in tight quarters too if you need two hands.

Garypowell

Thanks so far. I will go look at the Lowes one referenced above.

Not ever taking one out of its box I was not aware some had the calibration gage mentioned.

I assumed they were like electrical crimp connection in that you squeeze as hard as possible.

If someone could comment on how big a problem it is not knowing how much the ring is crimped.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Keep in mind that there are two types of PEX clamps, so there are two different tools.
One is the cinch clamp and the other is the crimp ring.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Cookie

can I assume both types of clamps are equivalent? And that I just have to match the rings and tool?

Is one of the ring types better than the other?

and what type does Heartland use?

dave10a

My son, a licensed plumber, and I re-plumbed the basement for a water filter and softner. He used the Pex expansion/contraction type plumbing and we clean up the rats nest, secured the lines so they would not vibrate and lossen while traveling. He was surprised that RV's use the crimp out dated stuff while the expansion is much more durable and can withstand freezing. I see Lowes and Home Depot do not make the expansion/contraction Pex available and it seems to only available in plumbing supply outlets. I wonder why the newer PEX stuff is not available at the do-it yourself stores because it is better, costs are equivelant and easier to work with.

MdMike

Just had a major disaster this weekend.

We are camping in Cherrystone near Cape Charles Va. Came back to camper to find water flooding from the UDC compartment. Shut of water and tracked it to a broken PEX fitting at the female threads on the hot water line to the bathroom vanity.

Drove over an hour one way to get some push on fittings that still leaked!

Called my Heartland dealer back home to see if I could drop the unit off on my way home to the Baltimore area and have it repaired on Monday as we have a trip set for the next two weeks beginning on Tuesday! Nope can't help me till August!

So they call me back with some other local places to help me when I get home. They can't help till August!

Then we call a plumber local to this area and get the service we needed. Back in business now and just finished drying out the basement area (small area got wet.

Dealer says send receipts so they can reimburse me as this is under warranty. We will see if it is that easy!

First thing I do when I get home is buy the PEX tools, a 5ft chunk of line, clamps/fittings etc. to keep on board the camper. I am sure this will happen again somewhere. When I get time I may do the same setup the plumber did with a shut off valve fitting on the PEX and a faucet supply line to the fau

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I only had a minor fitting leak some time ago, but all I could find at the nearby HD was the crimp ring tools, so that's what I got. Later, I added the cinch clamp tools to my "Plumbing Toolbox," along with a 5ft. section of PEX. That new clamping system looks like it uses plastic (PEX material) rings, but that expander tool must be made of pure Cantafordium. In regards to the gage for the rings, the idea is that if the ring isn't clamped sufficiently, it will not hold. The gage makes sure it's clamped enough (or not too much).

Greengas

Just a thought here because coming back to a flood is something I am always worried about we always shut off the city water to the coach (or turn off the pump if not connected to city water) when we leave the campground. I figure better safe than sorry. But I also like the idea of having a lex repair kit on hand. Ya never know.

JohnDar

Just a thought here because coming back to a flood is something I am always worried about we always shut off the city water to the coach (or turn off the pump if not connected to city water) when we leave the campground. I figure better safe than sorry. But I also like the idea of having a lex repair kit on hand. Ya never know.

You got it, Chief! Nothing worse than needing to fix something pronto and the nearest parts supply is 30 miles away, it's the weekend or holiday, and it's late. Even if I never need to fix another fitting of my own, there might be a neighbor that does.

I once used my sewer fittings to help out an elderly couple with a new TT that had a stopped up black tank. Old guy was going to haul his rig to a repair shop with a full load to get it cleared. Couple of back flush shots, and the dam broke. Cost him a cold beer. He learned the value of having the right accessories and his wife learned to cut back on the TP wad ;).

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
My son, a licensed plumber, and I re-plumbed the basement for a water filter and softner. He used the Pex expansion/contraction type plumbing and we clean up the rats nest, secured the lines so they would not vibrate and lossen while traveling. He was surprised that RV's use the crimp out dated stuff while the expansion is much more durable and can withstand freezing. I see Lowes and Home Depot do not make the expansion/contraction Pex available and it seems to only available in plumbing supply outlets. I wonder why the newer PEX stuff is not available at the do-it yourself stores because it is better, costs are equivelant and easier to work with.

Dave there are actually 4 different types of PEX connections today. I assume that you are referring to the pro-pex expansion fittings.

One of the main reason the Big Box stores do not sell the Pro-Pex Expansion method is due to the cost of the tool. The manual expansion tool with only one size head is well over $100 and additional size heads cost from $35-$65 per head.

In addition to the Pro-Pex there are three other connection methods

- Press Method -
- Copper Ring - "Crimp Ring"
- Crimp Ring - "Cram Clamp:

There are two other connection methods - Compression ( used for heating in some parts )
and as you are already aware - the GOLDEN pex or Sharkbite ... expensive but a great quick fix for any kind of pipe.

For an example of each of these check out Pex Supplies YouTube explanation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVo_0Wp79RM

I should say that I own two Copper tools, one Crimp tool and one Pro-Pex tool ( the power one they show in the video ) ... you know what they say about toys ... I mean tools.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Oh - I should point out - that the RV industry makes some plumbing runs with non PEX hose - to transition and clamp those the Crimp Clamp works best. I hose clam can come loose and I would never use those. you can make a solid and leak proof connection to the hose using 1/2 in clamp connectors and the Crimp Clamp ( steel not copper ). This is the reason I have the crimp tool - I would never use that method for my home.

Kevin

GlenStMary

It would really be nice if Heartland would install a pex manifold in their units. Being able to turn off a leaking faucet and still use the remainder of your water devices would make living so much simpler. I have my house done in pex with a 30 line Manabloc manifold and I've used the unit several times in 10 years to cut water flow to a single faucet. A small 8 line manifold can be had for under $ 100 retail. I'd pay that in a heartbeat if it was available from the factory. Just thinking out loud.

JohnDar

It would really be nice if Heartland would install a pex manifold in their units. Being able to turn off a leaking faucet and still use the remainder of your water devices would make living so much simpler. I have my house done in pex with a 30 line Manabloc manifold and I've used the unit several times in 10 years to cut water flow to a single faucet. A small 8 line manifold can be had for under $ 100 retail. I'd pay that in a heartbeat if it was available from the factory. Just thinking out loud.

There's been a couple of owners that have modified their rigs to use the Manabloc manifold. I've seen them on some non-Heartland rigs at RV shows, as well. It's still under engineering review (aka. getting a wild hair to tackle it) to do to mine.

MdMike

UPDATE: My dealer sent a check for the total amount spent on repair for the broken Hot Water line under the bathroom vanity in my Elkridge 5th wheel. I am a fully restored "Happy Camper"!