Pex Tool Kit

Greengas

Good Morning Heartland Family!

As I continue to make sure I have the right tools (being careful not to overthink and overdue) for our travels this summer and beyond, I thought it would be good to have a basic Pex tool kit. I understand how Pex works so I figure I would need tool that cuts and crimps, a tool that can remove a crimp, some crimps, and a bit of tubing (red and blue). I always like tools that come in their own nice container and has areas for some of the bits and pieces. Oh, and it would be good to know what size Pex is in the rig? I did a quick search on the forum and could not find that basic answer (probably did not search enough because I'm sure, somewhere, its there.)

So, with that laid out, what are your recommendations? Do you have a favorite Pex tool kit? Should I get multi tool or go with separates? Should I go with crimps or shark bites? Is carrying a Pex tool kit overkill?

Looking forward to my upcoming education!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It’s 1/2” PEX in the rigs. Many prefer to use Sharkbite fitting rather than crimp or clamp rings.

That said, I have the tools to do either crimp or clamp rings, a tubing cutter, and an assortment of PEX connectors. I bought individual tools since I didn’t see a multi-purpose one.

To remove the steel crimp rings, some use a Dremel tool to cut them. Another tool is a pair of strong cutting pliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

BTW, there is a special circular wedge tool to remove Sharkbite fittings, if needed.

If you think you will be within reasonable distances of a Home Depot or Lowes, you could depend on them to stock this stuff for you.

In the 8 years I have owned my Bighorn, I have replaced PEX plumbing fittings twice (adding toilet fresh water shutoff valve, and replacing black tank flusher atmospheric breaker valve), and have 1 on the to-do list (fitting for outside shower that I don't use). I have used Sharkbite fittings for both that I have done.

porthole

Retired
I like the cinch clamps because I can undo them if needed with just a small screwdriver.

Wouldn't hurt to have a bag of 3/4" clamps as well. They work great for repairing water hoses. That and a spare male and female hose repair end. You can get solid brass hose ends instead of using the cheesy plastic clamp type.

danemayer

Ronn,

Our plan from the beginning was to be on the road for long trips, so I've always carried PEX tools, some extra PEX tubing, and a variety of fittings and crimp rings. I've probably used them more on other people's rigs than my own, but they have been used a number of times.

I purchased a separate crimping tool and a separate crimp ring cutting tool. You'll also want a good ratcheting cutter for the PEX tubing. The cutting tool doesn't work well for me so I mostly use large diagonal cutting pliers to cut off crimp rings, or I just cut the PEX tubing (if there's enough slack) and put in a new fitting. I also carry several piece of PEX so I have a working supply. My kit includes couplings, 90 degree couplings, swivel 90 degree couplings, and some Sharkbite press-on cutoff valves, check valves, etc. Some may be overkill for me, but it comes in handy for the guy next to me who's having a problem.

And yes, it's all 1/2".

If buying all at once, shop PexUniverse.com.

oldelmer1

I had to replace some fittings cause of the angle the factory put them on. So I bought the crimp tool from Amazon and a bunch of 1/2" crimp clamps.

I found that removing the old crimp clamps was very difficult. Once I got them off, I couldn't pull the fitting out of the pipe. Slicing the pipe only resulted in cutting into the fitting and it would leak after the repair.

So, its best to just cut the entire fitting out and have extra PEX and fittings to replace everything.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Replacing the plastic PEX fittings with brass also increases the flow slightly. The orifices in the brass are slightly larger than the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLO

I’ve been using PEX for a lot of years in my trade and I have the tools but, I just carry an assortment of shark bite fittings and some PEX tubing with me in the trailer. I can fix it right when I get home. On another note I learned something new about similar PEX material this year. PEX is crosslinked polyethylene. There’s some other stuff called highly crosslinked polyethylene. It’s what they used in my total knee replacement last year, along with some metal ( rust proof I hope). Wonder which came first, medical or plumbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MegOhm

I purchased the Iwiss Pex Pipe Plumbing Crimping Tool off E-Bay for $57. Great buy. 1/2" pex is used throughout campers. Shark-bite fittings are expensive!

aatauses

I have a watts pex tool---just used for crimping, then a small cutter (only 1/2").
al
currently in AZ