Residential refigerator install

bdb2047

We had a Dometic 1350 in camper.Have not been real happy with it all though it is working properly according to Dometic.After talking to several people who have changed to residential units decided I would give it a try.I installed a Samsung RF197.The Samsung is 3/4" narrower than 1350 and about 9"taller shipping weight is 35# more.I started by installing a 1500W MSW inverter and dedicated 120v line to fridge.I am using DPDT center off switch to operate fridge.I removed 1350 from opening delivery people took it out of camper and put new into camper.They said it was first time they had to take doors off a counter depth fridge.It went in door with no problem at least 1/4" clearance on both sides .I removed the 3/4" framing for 1350 which was screwed to face framing with pocket screws also removed drawer under 1350 and all its framing to get to slide floor.I installed 3/4" plywood to bring floor to level of trim around slide.Rolled 197 into opening and checked clearances and decided how to fasten it down and keep from moving.In rear I used an anti tip bracket for a stove and an "elevator"bolt in bottom of 197.Put bolt in center with some angle iron for reinforcement.This acts as stop and stops it from tilting forward.In the front I removed pins that are axle for front wheel installed longer bolts and angle iron screwed to floor with a hole in vertical side for axle.With fridge in position I can push axle bolt into hole this stops front to back movement and tilting to rear I also have a piece of strapping from top of fridge to rear wall.I framed top of opening with wood removed from drawer framing.At the top of fridge there is a 2" opening between existing frame and top framing for fridge.I left opening for air vent used expanded metal in back to finish it.The access/vent panels need to be sealed but I wanted to be able to keep use for access to back.I sealed openings with window flashing aluminum duct tape and caulk.To close opening I used 1/2" foam board with 1/4 luan glued to back.I was able to slide this in from outside and attach with screws from outside thru hole in vent.This allows access to back of fridge when needed.

Attachments

• fridge 009.jpg
    fridge 009.jpg
    778.8 KB · Views: 781
  • fridge 015.jpg
    fridge 015.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 719
  • fridge 016.jpg
    fridge 016.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 691
  • fridge 020.jpg
    fridge 020.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 688
  • fridge 021.jpg
    fridge 021.jpg
    692.9 KB · Views: 758
  • fridge 007.jpg
    fridge 007.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 653

Speedy

Why are you using DPDT switch to control the frig? Wouldn't a standard SPST switch just as well? The install looks very good and is something I now have to consider. Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very good looking install, and sounds like you've got it secured well. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdb2047

The dpdt switch is to switch between shore power and inverter.I did not want any connection between 2 electrical systems.

Garypowell

Really nice install and great looking. It is good to know this is possible. Don't have the need now but one never knows.

Speedy

The dpdt switch is to switch between shore power and inverter.I did not want any connection between 2 electrical systems.
That's why I ask. Because I would have never considered that. Just plug it in and it should work... :)

ParkIt

Now I know who to copy, you did a great job on the swap with a toggle and securing it. Going to be a lot easier to access it from the back if need be, let us know how it performs compared to the Dometic and electrical use.

porthole

Retired
Looks great Dave.

If only there was room in the Cyclone - my ice cream would be firm!

Don't remember if we discussed this or not at Gburg, but why not just leave the fridge on the inverter all the time? I'm guessing that the inverter you are using does not have a built in transfer switch.

57chevyconvt

While attending the Canton Rally last weekend, I saw a new Big Country that had a Frigidaire residential side by side model refrigerator. Didn't have pin and paper to write down the model number so that I could locate an identical unit for pricing and specifications. If someone can provide this information, I would be very grateful for your help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So this would only operate on 120V shore power and not 12V/propane, correct? Not a critique, just an observation. If our refer ever goes out, I'd be interested in replacing it with a residential model, but I doubt there's anything that will fit in the space of a DM2862 and the way our slide space is laid out.

jbeletti

So this would only operate on 120V shore power and not 12V/propane, correct? Not a critique, just an observation. If our refer ever goes out, I'd be interested in replacing it with a residential model, but I doubt there's anything that will fit in the space of a DM2862 and the way our slide space is laid out.

John,

Yes, 110 VAC only. Note that on the factory Residential Refer option, a second battery and dedicated inverter and transfer switch is included. So on travel days, the refer stays powered. Not good for boondocking but great for travel days.

In terms of fitment on retrofits, some find the Samsung model to work well. But yeah, you need to measure carefully.