Residential refigerator install

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,

Yes, 110 VAC only. Note that on the factory Residential Refer option, a second battery and dedicated inverter and transfer switch is included. So on travel days, the refer stays powered. Not good for boondocking but great for travel days.

In terms of fitment on retrofits, some find the Samsung model to work well. But yeah, you need to measure carefully.

Always musing things around. We've had our rig 5 years, and with its current state, will probably have it for at least another 5.

57chevyconvt

Jim and Dan, Thanks for sharing the residential refrigerator information. DW was quite impressed with the Frigidaire side by side in the Big Country. Lot of space in the freezer as well as the refrigerator. As long as I can keep the Dometic RM1350 working I will continue using it, but if any major repairs are required, out it goes and in with a Samsung or Frigidaire. Since my refrigerator is not in a slide, modifications to the opening should not be of major consequence. The residential models are deeper in depth and have more cubic feet capacity. When I looked at the watts required to run a residential unit I was amazed at how low the wattage was as noted in the specifications. Since we are not big dry campers, we should be okay with a residential model.

bdb2047

Little bit of update on Samsung retro fit. I have 2 12v batteries in parallel ran fridge for 14 hrs on batteries alone battery voltage 12.2 after this time inverter voltage 107v. I did not have defrost cycle off should have but forgot so could do a little better. Also the Samsung is counter depth so no deeper than 1350 .

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok, I haven't seen this question answered yet. What is the difference in weight between the standard refrigerator and the residential one?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ok, I haven't seen this question answered yet. What is the difference in weight between the standard refrigerator and the residential one?

I checked a few 23 cuft residential side by sides and they weigh an average of 285#. The Dometic RM 1350 is 198#
Also to consider is the weight of the additional food in the larger fridge. The weight of the inverter is minimal.

bdb2047

The Samsung is 35# more than 1350 but you also have to consider how much you put in it. Has much more usable room and it is 18 cu ft compared to 23 Heartland is installing. We are pleased with how it works compared to 1350 was a worthwhile mod.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Ok so now we know the weights we need to remember that we will have to carry LESS due to the additional weight.