Driving under the Ocean... sort of...

MCTalley

Very cool. We're planning on mounting ours in the truck and collecting time lapse images as we travel from the Goshen rally all the way to the Seattle area. Hopefully, I can keep it from overheating and shutting off (something it likes to do at inopportune times).

VKTalley

Malcolm and I watched your video....THAT was so neat!!!!! We have a Go-Pro camera too and Malcolm has fun with it mounted in the front window of the truck.

FiremanBill

There are two tunnels on the bridge that are both about one mile long. overall length shore to sore is just over 17 miles. I have the entire crossing on video but it seems to be too big to upload!

I love going across that bridge, all except paying the toll... $20 in each direction pulling the camper.

MCT that would be neat to see as well. Do you put yours in the ventilated case or leave it out? I have never had an issue with mine overheating. I have 2+ hours of video on this leg, recorded right up to when the battery died! It was out in the breeze but the first hour or so was in rush hour stop and go traffic in 90+ degree temps.

FiremanBill

Malcolm and I watched your video....THAT was so neat!!!!! We have a Go-Pro camera too and Malcolm has fun with it mounted in the front window of the truck.

I love mine. Don't be afraid to mount it outside too! All I used was the provided mounts with the adhesive tape that was on them. I cleaned the area real good with an alcohol pad to make sure it was very clean to mount it on there.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
How did you mount it to the top of your Cyclone??

My Granddaughter uses the GoPro on Bicycle when she competes in the criterium bike races. Really neat to see how close they get as they are jockying for postion.

How long a video can you make... and how do you edit it ??

Thanks
BC

Addition:
Watching the video it is interesting to see the TV bouncing but the trailer looks like it is riding ver smooth... Looks like your connection is protecting the trailer very well..

FiremanBill

I mounted mine with the mounts that came with it. they have the strongest adhesive backed tape I have ever seen. I cleaned the top of the cap with an alcohol pad to remove any wax and such so it would adhere firmly. I know these are strong because a buddy of mine mounted his on the bottom of the wing of his Cessna 172! It will not budge once it is on there. Then the part that mounts to the camera itself just clips into that piece. I'll take a picture later.

Video length depends on the size of the SD card and battery life. I have a 32gig card in mine and it ran for over 2 hours before the battery died. Came nowhere near filling up the card though.

I just use windows moviemaker to edit. I am sure there are better programs out there but I don't really understand a lot of that stuff and movie maker does what I need it to.

ILH

Very impressive. I'll have to look into getting one. My wife will kill me!

MCTalley

Do you put yours in the ventilated case or leave it out? I have never had an issue with mine overheating. I have 2+ hours of video on this leg, recorded right up to when the battery died! It was out in the breeze but the first hour or so was in rush hour stop and go traffic in 90+ degree temps.

Enclosed case, but with ventilated back. I also have a good sized hole drilled through the side of the case so I can plug a power cord into it. I think my prior issues have been with it recording video for long periods while sitting static. Also, I think the windshield may be channeling more heat onto it. I suspect having it doing light duty taking time lapse photos in a running, air conditioned truck may make a difference. I might even drill more holes in the case to dissipate heat.

FiremanBill

Enclosed case, but with ventilated back. I also have a good sized hole drilled through the side of the case so I can plug a power cord into it. I think my prior issues have been with it recording video for long periods while sitting static. Also, I think the windshield may be channeling more heat onto it. I suspect having it doing light duty taking time lapse photos in a running, air conditioned truck may make a difference. I might even drill more holes in the case to dissipate heat.

I've had mine mounted on the inside of the windshield before like that and did notice it get fairly warm, even on a cool morning. We were driving right into the sun too so that didn't help either I am sure. I have thought about ways to mount it like that out of the case completely but haven't come up with any real good ideas just yet.

KiwiRVer

Went through the same tunnel 2 seasons ago just as a submarine was passing over the top so we went UNDER a submarine. Have a picture somewhere but will have to dig to find it.

MCTalley

Note that if you want to do a two-way trip and save half the toll, you can (legally) do a U-Turn prior to the toll plaza on the north end. We did that a few years ago. Not sure if it has changed since.