Bighorn vs Landmark

pegmikef

I think part of it is that a lot of things that are standard on the Landmark have to be added as options on the Big Horn.

Theresau

See other recent thread about BH and BC differences to start. Review the specs for both; however, keep in mind that just because it is a standard for LM and not stated as such for BH that doesn't mean it's not a standard for BH too. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-changes-have-been-made-to-the-2014-Big-Horns

There is another another recent thread asking difference between BH and LM. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40836-Landmark-vs-Bighorn?highlight=landmark+big+horn

Understand on larger units 40ish' that chassis are same. What is major differences.

Theresau

I suggest looking at the Bighorn community - J. Beletti has posted new MSRP sheet for the BH along with list of new standards/forced options (e.g., flush windows are now standard). Appears as of this month BH is even closer to LM now. There is a posting with the new graphics as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. my internet been down for days.

sengli

They are built on the same line. They utilize the same laminated floors and walls, and roof construction. BH doesn't have maybe quite as much insulation underneath. Landmark has paint standard. The exterior paint is option on BH. When we looked, it was really hard to see where the extra $30K for the landmark, over the BH was getting you, anything but some interior fluff and exterior paint.

bpe

Insulation is a big plus for us. We are full time but I still work full time. I am a welder by trade and chase shutdowns. Almost spent the winter in North Dakota this year. Do they offer the "yeti" package with the BH?

sengli

Yes we have it on ours. But that package only adds some additional (foil) insulation to the front and rear cap area's. And you get tank heaters that run off of AC only. Supposedly you are to use the tank heaters only when the tanks are partially full, or they will damage (melt) the tanks. And the one single water line from the pump to the fresh water tank is wrapped with a line heater. I think this package would help if its really cold out, but honestly if its really winter (10-20 degrees) for any period of time none of these coaches are setup not to freeze up underneath.

danemayer

Our 2011 Landmark has the tank heaters (Yeti was introduced after 2011). You do need some water in the tanks to keep the heaters from damaging the tanks - don't ask for details on how I know.

We spend 4-6 weeks in the Colorado mountains in January every winter for ski season. Overnight temps are frequently below zero for extended periods and we've been down to -30 (F) a number of times. It's pretty easy to keep a Landmark comfortable in that weather, but keeping the water systems working when temps get below -15 (F) can be challenging. Our owner-written Water Systems Winter Usage Guide covers most of what you need to know to survive in those temps.

danemayer

How much propane do yo go through in 0 degree temps?
Hi Duane,

Our first two winters, we went through two 40# tanks a week (roughly). Last winter we had Amerigas bring out a 120 gallon tank so we didn't have to deal with refills. I think we used about 80 gallons over 5 weeks which would be about the same as 9 40# tanks (9 gal/tank).

There's some information about this on page 18 of the Heating and Cooling System Guide.

bpe

Well it seems Heartland dropped the Mesa floor plan and it was the only one without the w/d in the bedroom closet. Deal breaker for me. Work nights a lot and that would interfere with sleep.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hmmm, my washer and dryer are very quiet. You can barely hear them running. We often have them going at night and they don't keep me awake at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Our washer/dryer lulls us to sleep......my DW has a fan running all the time, so hardly hear w/d.

MTPockets

We never hear washer or dryer. We go to laundromat for 2 - 3 hrs. Every two weeks. Get it done and over with, no messing around with long single loads all the time.

dave10a

I like the W/D position in my trailer because it allows for sleeping without the noise and vibration. However, be sure a top brace and bottom feet are secured to stop any movement while traveling. Also make sure a drip pan is installed to protect the floor from any water leaks. Without the top brace the dryer can rip the top cover from the washer while traveling on rough roads. don't ask me how I know :)