Help: Intermittent slide & hydraulic jack deployment

10Ring

I have a '13 Cyclone 3110. On the last trip both the slides and the jacks paused several times before fully deploying. Same thing happened when I pulled them back in. Batteries are fully charged. What is the problem? Thanks.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have the same issue when retracting the landing gear. Not sure if a relay is over heating or if there is a thermal overload tripping out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

brianharrison

It is the autoreset breaker for the hydraulic pump - the 50A from factory can get weak or overloaded and trip with use (as it heats up from the large current). Some have fixed the problem by replacing out the 50A with 80A.

It is located in the compartment with the buss bar. I do not know where this is in the cyclones.

Hope this helps.

Brian

danemayer

Once the 12V breaker gets weak from tripping a few times, it happens more often. 50 amp breakers are around $10. Just make sure you get the auto reset. Same form factor is also helpful so it'll fit on the buss bar.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
But why would mine only trip while retracting the landing gear? Never done it while extending them or running the slides. Does each function have its own Thermal Overload?

danemayer

But why would mine only trip while retracting the landing gear? Never done it while extending them or running the slides. Does each function have its own Thermal Overload?

I'd expect the pump would draw the most current while extending the gear, but maybe on yours it's when the pump reverses. Usually a new breaker corrects the problem.

Mechanical binds, low battery voltage and loose electrical connections can also cause higher amp draw, tripping the breaker.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Pause, re-engage switch. Have a beer, relax.

That's the quick fix, not worry about. But curiosity is that could this be a tale tale sign of a bigger issue. So I don't like to avoid little things because they could bite you in the arse big time later. Much rather have everything fixed and working correctly as it should rather turning a blind eye to it.

taken

Mine did it the first time at delivery. Always self reset so I never worried much, but interesting about going up a bit in size curing it. Like Matt, mine only does it when retracting the landing gear. Never extending or while operating the slides.

oscar

That's the quick fix, not worry about. But curiosity is that could this be a tale tale sign of a bigger issue. So I don't like to avoid little things because they could bite you in the arse big time later. Much rather have everything fixed and working correctly as it should rather turning a blind eye to it.

I have since done quite a bit of waxing of the slide sides, and lubing of the seals. Slides are moving easier now, and I have not had a "hesitation" since. Seems the overload may be a little sensitive (barely sized?) and that making it all slide as easy as possible makes a difference. Food for thought.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I have since done quite a bit of waxing of the slide sides, and lubing of the seals. Slides are moving easier now, and I have not had a "hesitation" since. Seems the overload may be a little sensitive (barely sized?) and that making it all slide as easy as possible makes a difference. Food for thought.

I only have the issue when retracting the landing gear. Not when extending them or running the slides.

brianharrison

I only have the issue when retracting the landing gear. Not when extending them or running the slides.

Possibly there is a loose connection or short in the system that activates when you push retract button. The pump reverses via signal from the "Trombetta" mounted beside the pump (here is an LCI link, and another link - these come from here). I would suggest checking this device when you retract and experience the autoreset breaker tripping - if it is hot when retracting and not when extending - you may have a failing Trombetta. Otherwise I can only think there may be a grounding issue when retracting that does not show up on extending or slide operations.

Hope this helps,
Brian

taken

Interesting info Brian. Thanks! Is it strange that Matt and I both have the same exact symptoms on the same trailers? Mine was from day one. Seems like a big coincidence.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Ill check that next time I grab the trailer from storage. Hopefully in two weeks. The issue also seems to trip more often with a colder climate outside as well. I would only assume this is due to the oil being thicker when cold causing the pump to worker harder to flow the oil.

Tool958

We have been having the same problem with our 2012 Cyclone 3010. It started on the landing gear first. Then it started happening on the slide outs too. It is steadily getting worse. I'll check and replace the breaker first. Has anyone found where the breaker is on the Cyclones? I'm sure I can find it. Just thought it would save some time looking for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

We have been having the same problem with our 2012 Cyclone 3010. It started on the landing gear first. Then it started happening on the slide outs too. It is steadily getting worse. I'll check and replace the breaker first. Has anyone found where the breaker is on the Cyclones? I'm sure I can find it. Just thought it would save some time looking for it.

The 12V breakers are on a buss bar near the battery.

More info and pics in the 12V Troubleshooting and Diagnostic Guide.

Herbie

On my 2012 3950 the breaker was by the battery, their should be several breakers in a row. You can find out which one it is by operating the landing gear and listening to which breaker clicks when the issue is at hand, then as it cools you will here it click closed and the system will be operational. I called heartland they told me to replace it with a higher amp rated part.
The breaker in my Cyclone was a 30amp, I replaced it with a 50amp.

Tool958

Thank-you for the replies. That's why I like this forum so well. Everyone is willing to help each other with problems and it usually gets worked out by discussions like this. I'm sure that I'll have no problem figuring it out now. Had a chance to look at it last night before reading the replies. I found the buss bar. Just wasn't sure how to find the right one. I'll go to the parts store and get a replacement for it. I was ready to take it to a dealer to get it repaired before tonight. Have a good weekend and a Happy Valentines Day everyone! Hope to get rid of this stinking cold weather. Reaaallllyyy getting tired of this snow and ice.

Tool958

Just wanted to post an update. It was the breaker. Went from the 30 amp to a 50 amp. Works great now.