Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cold night without propane

1. Print this Post   #1

Cold night without propane

My wife and I were camping at Wellesley Island at the top of New York State on the weekend. We were enjoying the daytime warm temperatures and cool nights - however, last night I woke up and found that the furnace wasn't working. The inside temperature was pretty chilly. After putting on some clothes any going outside to check the LP tanks, I found both of them empty. Fortunately I had my 10lb BBQ tank - and swapped it out. It was good enough to last until morning!

New rule..no cold temperature camping without checking the tanks first!

--
    Ian & Linda Hubling
    2018 RAM Limited 3500HD Diesel DRW
    2020 Landmark Newport
    HOC - 2290

Rallies:
    2020 - Sept - Niagara Falls Ontario Campout
    2018 - June - Cherry Valley Ontario
    2018 - June - Verona NY
    2016 - June - Sherkston Shores Ontario
    2015 - August - Verona, NY
    2015 - June - Goshen - Heartland National Rally
    2015 - June - McGregor Ontario
    2014 - June - Niagara Falls Ontario
    2013 - July - Verona NY

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Cold night without propane

Quote Originally Posted by ILH View Post
    My wife and I were camping at Wellesley Island at the top of New York State on the weekend. We were enjoying the daytime warm temperatures and cool nights - however, last night I woke up and found that the furnace wasn't working. The inside temperature was pretty chilly. After putting on some clothes any going outside to check the LP tanks, I found both of them empty. Fortunately I had my 10lb BBQ tank - and swapped it out. It was good enough to last until morning!

New rule..no cold temperature camping without checking the tanks first!
    Good thing you had a spare. I've never ran out but I'm sure one of these days we will. Take care.
    Desert Thumper-Al & Wife Lisa | Co-Pilot

Traveling Family Pets:
    Malou & Buttery - Both Pekingese females love to travel!

2013 - Dodge Ram 3500 4 X 4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Bed Dually with 4.10's | RW-400
    Add-On: Husky 26K Hitch, Firestone Air Bags, 50 Gallon Transfer Flow System, Viaair 2.5 Gallon Air System, Internal CB Radio with Fire stick, custom gauge setup and switches for triple air horns and tire air pump control. Anti Glare tint on front windshield.

Garage Toys: KTM 450 XC-F | Husaberg 570 FE | Yamaha 450R-YZF & 700R

3. Print this Post   #3
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

The way I do ours is I only open one tank at a time, then I know for sure when one runs out. The I will go fill the empty one. That way if it runs out in the middle of the night you can open the full one and fill the empty one in the morning.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by jmgratz View Post
    The way I do ours is I only open one tank at a time, then I know for sure when one runs out. The I will go fill the empty one. That way if it runs out in the middle of the night you can open the full one and fill the empty one in the morning.
    Do you ever leave the fridge running when the trailer is in storage (between trips for few days - or a few days ahead of a trip) - if so, you'd better be confident the single tank has enough - or else your food will spoil.

Regardless, it would be nice if there was a more reliable metering system for propane from inside the trailer.

--
    Ian & Linda Hubling
    2018 RAM Limited 3500HD Diesel DRW
    2020 Landmark Newport
    HOC - 2290

Rallies:
    2020 - Sept - Niagara Falls Ontario Campout
    2018 - June - Cherry Valley Ontario
    2018 - June - Verona NY
    2016 - June - Sherkston Shores Ontario
    2015 - August - Verona, NY
    2015 - June - Goshen - Heartland National Rally
    2015 - June - McGregor Ontario
    2014 - June - Niagara Falls Ontario
    2013 - July - Verona NY

5. Print this Post   #5

Me 2.
    2001 D-Max 3/4 ton,
    70 Gal Transfer Flow , Banks Bullet Tuner
    2011 NorthTrail 27RL 5th Wheel
    Yamaha 3000iSE/B
    Xantrex 1800 Watt Inverter, 4 6V Battery's
    1 Wife & 5 Poodles

6. Print this Post   #6

Why would you want to go out in the middle of the night to open the tank valve? I prefer staying warm and snug in my bed at night.
    The tool is in place to avoid that. Auto change over.
    You just need to keep in mind your LP usage based on temperatures and check the change over valve indicator. It will tell you when one tank is empty.
    JMHO.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

7. Print this Post   #7
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

During the "heating" season (beginning and end of our summer), I make it a habit to check the tanks each morning if the furnace has been running. Look at the condensation level on the side of the tank in use, as well. At our CG, I drop the tank off at the office and the owner delivers it back to our site if he can't fill it immediately.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with feline fuzzbutts Ally, Merlin & Mickey)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL (sold 2020 and not replaced)

H.O.C. #1225

8. Print this Post   #8
    Original Owners Club Member jmgratz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Why would you want to go out in the middle of the night to open the tank valve? I prefer staying warm and snug in my bed at night.
    The tool is in place to avoid that. Auto change over.
    You just need to keep in mind your LP usage based on temperatures and check the change over valve indicator. It will tell you when one tank is empty.
    JMHO.

Peace
    Dave
    I do keep a check on the level of the tank in use and rarely have to get up to open the other tank. My point was if you always have a full tank as a 'backup' you don't have to worry about running out. By keeping both tanks open you sometimes forget to keep a check on them. We know from experience. But whatever system works for you is the one you should use.
    Jim & Sheila Gratz - owners club #1018 Workamping as Sales Associate with SE Publications Certified RV Walk-through Technician [/I] 2013 Landmark San Antonio - full body paint - Fulltimer pkg, Yetti pkg etc., Mor-Ryde IS with never lube bearings and disc brakes. --previous 5er - 2007 "Classic" Landmark "Golden Gate" Replaced 9/20/13 2012 Ford F350 King Ranch Crew Cab fx4 dually, 6.7 L Husky Trailer Saver TS2 hitch "visit TEXAS - it's like a whole 'nuther country" Rally Site 414

9. Print this Post   #9

If it is a long time between camping trips I get the bathroom scale out and weigh both of them just to be sure I know how much is in them. I always leave the change over switch on the right side first and then if the indicator is red I know that it switched to the other tank. This way I have one tank that is nearly full all of the time. Tom

10. Print this Post   #10
    Moved on to the next thing... JohnD's Avatar

Cold night without propane . . . get a small electric heater for backup!

We keep a small electric heater in our trailer.

I use it to keep the trailer warm when it is not very cold (but just cold enough to kick on the furnace) to preserve the LP gas for when it really gets cold!

And for the water heater and stove, of course.

We got it for our old trailer as the furnace made so much noise that it would wake everyone up every time it fired up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast