Slide out flap seals

mobilcastle

What is the consensus about treating the seals that drag on the sides and top of the slide outs. Some say treat and some say do not treat?:confused: If they need treatment what is recommended to treat them.
Thanks
Steve

caissiel

Never did on previous unit and they lasted 15 years. Had more problems with moisture getting at the fingers that held it in place and rusting. Had to replace top one for that reason.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

My previous unit I did nothing with the seals and over 5 years had no problems. I have owned the new rig for a little more than a year and cleaned them once with a silicone spray from Liquid Wrench. I was amazed at how much "grime" came off on the rag. I'll be doing it again on a regular basis.

I use use the same spray on my hydraulic front legs too.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
yvete9y2.jpg
umemunez.jpg

I noticed these slide seal "flippers" are on the new Heartlands we saw at the RV show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

I have found both an RV silicone spray for slide seals, and a spray on dry lubricant for the bottom of slides that have the special black teflon-like bottom. I don't know how much the silicone lubricant helps the seals sliding, but I have been told over the years that silicone sprays are good (like ArmorAll) for the rubber life.

It seems to me that if the RV manufacturers were really concerned about how well the slide gaskets glide over the slide surfaces, they would have bonded thin teflon sheet to all of the top and side seal sliding surfaces.

priorguy

yvete9y2.jpg
umemunez.jpg

I noticed these slide seal "flippers" are on the new Heartlands we saw at the RV show.

My 2K11 NT 28BRS has something like this to keep the seal in the right direction when in or out. Simple yet effective.

wdk450

I would like to get a part number and manufacturer of the slide seal flippers to retrofit my rig with them. A websearch came up empty.

TravelTiger

I would like to get a part number and manufacturer of the slide seal flippers to retrofit my rig with them. A websearch came up empty.

Bill, that's why I took the pics. Just haven't had time to inquire with Heartland. They had black ones on a Big Country.

caissiel

The rubber seals need to be sticky in order to flip properly. Any product to help with sliding will surely defeat the characteristic of the rubber and the slides will leak due to rubber not working properly. I never wax around the slide side wall close to the rubber and on 19 years never had a slide leak.
And that is without any toppers and with dirt and freezing exposure.
Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

B

BouseBill

I have always used 303 on them, both the previous rig, (which lasted over 10 years in the sun) and now these....The Heartland to be honest I'm not sure about. If the "D" seal won't last much longer than 2 years, I'm concerned about the slide seals, so I've been cleaning them with 303 on a regular basis.

sengli

I use armor all on my slide seals just to keep them slick so they dont stick to anything. Plus it might help with some UV damage too. Keeps them looking good to.

aatauses

I use 303, but did have to replace my "D" seals this past year--we wintered in AZ. I have been happy with the 303.
al

TravelTiger

All, I contacted Heartland for the slide out seal flippers. The part number is 31107, and is $1.377 a linear foot, + shipping and handling ($9.10 in my case).

It comes with an adhesive strip on the back and cuts easily with kitchen scissors. I applied 1 ft long strips on each side of our 4 slides, about 2" down and 4" back from the outer wall of the slide. Will see if they help, immediately it looks like they will.